Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I use a poly/cotton ( Joann's Symphony) blend in a quilt? >

Can I use a poly/cotton ( Joann's Symphony) blend in a quilt?

Can I use a poly/cotton ( Joann's Symphony) blend in a quilt?

Old 12-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Oh, my gosh, I probably shouldn't be responding to this because I have a serious hate-on for Symphony broadcloth, which I, too, bought from Joann's. I bought it for backing of a small quilt. Oh, it was AWFUL! It was so stiff, did not want to glide through my machine or across my sewing machine table. I finally put it away, the quillting barely begun.A few months later, I took it out, removed the backing-threw THAT away- and started over with a nice cotton backing. My advice? Donate it or make dog beds out of it.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Thank you mountainwoman, this is the kind of feedback I need. I don't like to run into massive frustration when I quilt. I have to rip seams out enough as it is.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:16 PM

I mix fibers in quilts all the time. I have used poly/cotton w/ cottong w/o any issues, but I do not make "heirloom" or "show" quilts. I have also rejected poly cotton blends, try pressing it w/ the iron setting you plan use, even though you "pre shrunk" it, it still could shrink when the iron touches it. I only use poly cotton that can "take" an iron.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

I've gotten some in the same way (didn't realize it was a blend) and used it anyway. It handled fine. The only challenge is that it can't handle the heat from the iron as hot as cotton.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:07 PM

Several of the quilts I made for my babies 35+ contained Symphony. Even after all that time they look fine. They were used alot and some are now being used on the GKs.