Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can this top be saved?

Can this top be saved?

Almost finished peicing a top using the 'Perfect Ten' pattern by Swirly Girls. Love the pattern, can't stand the top I've made! Way too busy, focus prints get lost in everything else, and I don't even want to finish it! Surely I am not the only one to have a top go awry. What to do now?

I need to see a picture to comment...... I'm sure it's not as bad as you are thinking..... but I'd love to see it.

sometimes a solid or a fabric that reads as solid will serve as a frame to hold things together and calm them down. If this doesn't work, donate the quilt, or even just the finished top as there is definitely someone out there who will love it even if you don't. I'm sure more than one of us has had the experience you're now having. somehow what we picture in our heads isn't quite what happens.

Ok, I will try to post a picture. The issue is that this is a quilt my husband requested that I make for him, and I haven't actually shown it to him yet - very different than what I usually do...Name:  marvel quilt 002.JPG
Views: 6571
Size:  654.7 KBName:  marvel quilt 004.JPG
Views: 4541
Size:  645.1 KBName:  marvel quilt 005.JPG
Views: 5463
Size:  617.2 KB the second photo is the other accent fabric that I have, and the third is what I planned on using as the backing...

Go ahead and finish it with a backing you love and use the side you don't like as the back side.

It is a busy quilt, but it says a lot about your relationship.. You are praising him.. He is your hero, and superman.. If he really doesn't like it, you can always donate it to Project Linus, or some charity that needs boys quilts.. Before you finish it, I'd talk to husband..

I would break up the 3 sections with a dark sashing to slow the eye down when looking over the blocks..

Sometimes our "guy" quilts are harder because they aren't made with fabrics we love.
    I got fabric.... Now I need time .
    Theresa

The great (and at times frustrating) thing about my spouse is that he would never say he doesn't like something I have made! I am going to try laying it out with the dark red as sashing - thank you for that suggestion, Kehoeta. It rarely occurs to me to piece other than as 'instructed'! And thank you all for the encouragement-just what I needed to get back to it!

I agree. Put the dark red fabric in as sashing (or another more solid fabric) and you'll feel differently about it, I think. It is cool! I think you both will like it in the end. Good job!

I'm assuming your DH is "into" superhero/Marvel comics. He will love the quilt because you are making it for him using his interests. Yes, it is busy, but there's so much to look at, will keep the eye looking for the different characters and bring a smile to her face when he sees his favorite characters. I like the idea of using the red to break up and give the eyes a rest from the different areas.

I agree with previous posters about using sashing.
    There is an interior decorators comment "Nowhere to rest the eyes" and sometimes if you look at house interiors in magazines (particularly country style) there are so many decorator items and collections crammed into one room that you have difficulty focusing and enjoying any individual item.
    I think some quilts can be too crowded as well; the red sashing suggested will be a good strong design element and allow each individual block to be "read" and appreciated.

Personally, I'd use all black - no other accent colors - just black around all the comic patterns. Let the pattern of the blocks speak for themselves. Black in a quilt can be striking!

Try an auditon: Just place some loose black fabric between your existing blocks and see how the blocks 'pop' out at you.

Shari

I really like this quilt for a "superman" or "super hero" - I think the idea of putting the red sashing between the blocks would slow your eye down when looking at it. Give it a try, you might like it better. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Trene View Post
    Ok, I will try to post a picture. The issue is that this is a quilt my husband requested that I make for him, and I haven't actually shown it to him yet - very different than what I usually do...Name:  marvel quilt 002.JPG
Views: 6571
Size:  654.7 KBName:  marvel quilt 004.JPG
Views: 4541
Size:  645.1 KBName:  marvel quilt 005.JPG
Views: 5463
Size:  617.2 KB the second photo is the other accent fabric that I have, and the third is what I planned on using as the backing...
    I wouldn't like it either, but I'm not a Marvel Comics fan. If your hubby is, then you've done a fantastic job.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I kind of think what's going on with this quilt is more emotional than it is the quilt. It is a very vibrant quilt, first of all, but I happen to love vibrant. I also am disappointed in all the quilts I make because they never seem to live up to my vision of the quilt. The truth is there's nothing wrong with the quilt. It's my vision of the quilt that is the problem. Also, it's your husband, and if you love your husband (I'm assuming you do) you want the quilt to be absolutely totally and completely perfect. However, there is no such thing as perfect. It doesn't exist. I would suggest, like other people have, to use sashing between the sections that is plain fabric. I would suggest black. Black acts like a frame. In any event, I'm sure your husband is going to love it because you made it.

Blog Entries
    I would use 1/2" black sashing and then a 2" border sashing around the black using a solid neutral color (not white). It will take away a lot of the clashing colors.
    Got fabric?

As a guy I like the collage without the sashing but I couldn't tell you what he likes. You have to ask him. Lay out a couple of setups for him to choose from and then do it that way regardless of how you feel about it. After all if it was yours you would have flowers on it. ( Exaggeration there just to make the point).

Comics are about action and the panels are deliberatly complicated with a lot of detail. Sashing would take some of that away and loose the flavor to my way of thinking. You just gotta ask him how he wants it.

I agree with using black as your sashing and border. As previously stated audition it first, but I think this would be more calming.

Ha! He requested the quilt, chose the fabric, agreed with the pattern, but I didn't like it so I haven't thought to ask his opinion on options for finishing it! So, that is now next on the list. I amaze myself sometimes with how dense I can be at times...

Logofflater made a great point, I know my husband has a different take on things and what is visually pleasing. For me, I like the idea of adding a staggered vertical black sashing strip to each of horizontal sections and then adding a black sashing between each of the 3 horizontal sections and using the same sashing as the first border. The sashing could mimic the breaking up of the frames in comic books. But, I have a feeling your honey might like it "as is".

Blog Entries
    I like it! He will too. Go ahead and finish it. It has all kinds of things to look at and he will love it. Good for you.

Glad you're going to check with DH. I actually think the quilt will be fine, with or without sashing (I would probably go without it). I had a similar "oh no" experience on my first quilt, and didn't finish it until recently because I thought it couldn't be saved. Now I like the quilt. It's amazing how much something improves when it's quilted and bound.

Trene: You are thinking like a woman! I am sure that every lady on QB and the men too will agree with me that we cannot think like men. It is just impossible. Finish the quilt. The top looks fine and when it is complete your DH will love that you did it just for him and it's not too pretty or girly. Most men I know don't want their quilt in a perfect pattern so it's perfect just the way it is. Keep going, it will be alright. Trust me.

Power Poster
    After you put some solid borders on it to "contain it" - it will be fine.

It's a grown-up I Spy quilt with a specialized theme. Awesome!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by logofflater View Post
    As a guy I like the collage without the sashing but I couldn't tell you what he likes. You have to ask him. Lay out a couple of setups for him to choose from and then do it that way regardless of how you feel about it. After all if it was yours you would have flowers on it. ( Exaggeration there just to make the point).

Comics are about action and the panels are deliberatly complicated with a lot of detail. Sashing would take some of that away and loose the flavor to my way of thinking. You just gotta ask him how he wants it.
    I totally agree, when I first looked at the quilt I thought HOW COOL!! and please don't add sashing because to me, it'll take away from the genre. When I walk into a comic book store with my kids I'm over stimulated with a bang, and that's ok, because that's this life...and the quilt the way it looks laid out is so like walking into a comic book store, I love it.

IF you do choose to use a stashing, it has to be a neutral and in this case black. Why black? because comic strips and panels have that edge of black and you can try echoing it.

But I challenge you to further let go of your comfort zone and use the collage effect, it truly works.

ps: I had my 11 y.o. and 13 y.o. look at it and they LOVE it the way it's laid out without sashing. And trust me, they both make little quilts too but they are heavy into comics and sci fi.

Hope that helps!
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast