Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can this top be saved?

Blog Entries
    I say, finish it, for your DH. If he picked the pattern and fabrics, he will like the finished product.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    I agree. Put the dark red fabric in as sashing (or another more solid fabric) and you'll feel differently about it, I think. It is cool! I think you both will like it in the end. Good job!
    I agree. I'd add in the dark red where ever you can. It'll really calm it down and at the same time make it pop.

It's not my kind of fabric either - however I lke it - It looks like alot of action going on - just like the comics that its modeled after - I would show it to him - I think he will like it.
    I have several tops that I did not like and put them away - then when I finally get around to quiltng it and suddenly it looks great when its finished - you may find this one to be the same. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
    Personally, I'd use all black - no other accent colors - just black around all the comic patterns. Let the pattern of the blocks speak for themselves. Black in a quilt can be striking!

Try an auditon: Just place some loose black fabric between your existing blocks and see how the blocks 'pop' out at you.

Shari
    I totally agree. i would go with all black sashing and inner border, then a wider border out of the red.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I would also use the red for sashing and the border. I think that would offset all the busy fabric quite a bit and make it a nice quilt. It will make all the difference in the world. I had the same problem and sashing and borders made it tame down.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by logofflater View Post
    As a guy I like the collage without the sashing but I couldn't tell you what he likes. You have to ask him. Lay out a couple of setups for him to choose from and then do it that way regardless of how you feel about it. After all if it was yours you would have flowers on it. ( Exaggeration there just to make the point).

Comics are about action and the panels are deliberatly complicated with a lot of detail. Sashing would take some of that away and loose the flavor to my way of thinking. You just gotta ask him how he wants it.
    I agree with logofflater. Show your husband and ask him what he would like.
    Give him options by laying fabrics down on it and explaining the different things you could do with it.
    That way he doesn't just say do want you want because I don't have a clue.
    He may just say I like it like that. Guys think different than us so who knows what he will want.
    Either way he will know you are making a great effort to please him and make him happy.

Put the red sashing in, he'll love it, you'll both be happy.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I have a lot of quilt books and read them all the time. They say to have a tone on tone or solid for the eye to rest when dealing with busy fabrics. I do like this quilt, but it is busy. Find some space for solid sashing, I would test black on this to see if it wouldn't tone it down.

Blog Entries
    I would finish it by putting a strip of solid inbetween each row. This would break up some of the busy fabrics and give your eyes a resting point. Other than that love the rest. You may be surprised at your husband reaction if you show it to him. He will love it either way since it came from you.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Mom3, try black sashing. Good luck!
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonViv View Post
    I totally agree, when I first looked at the quilt I thought HOW COOL!! and please don't add sashing because to me, it'll take away from the genre. When I walk into a comic book store with my kids I'm over stimulated with a bang, and that's ok, because that's this life...and the quilt the way it looks laid out is so like walking into a comic book store, I love it.

IF you do choose to use a stashing, it has to be a neutral and in this case black. Why black? because comic strips and panels have that edge of black and you can try echoing it.

But I challenge you to further let go of your comfort zone and use the collage effect, it truly works.

ps: I had my 11 y.o. and 13 y.o. look at it and they LOVE it the way it's laid out without sashing. And trust me, they both make little quilts too but they are heavy into comics and sci fi.

Hope that helps!
    Ditto!! I would loose the blue, it's too light. Personally I would go with a double border of black then gold.

How about having hubby take a look & get his opinion. Perhaps rearrange the blocks as well as add sashings. I don't always stick to a pattern if I question the look I'm getting.

I find it interesting that the person and the kids love it as is....And they also said they love comic themes.

My first thought was that it is too busy, the eye has no where to rest - but then, this genre isn't my cup of tea so to speak. And maybe that is why I say what I do.

I do agree that maybe the best thing to do is to audition it for your hubby and see what he says - he's the important one.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Actually, I like it. And as suggested, I think the red WILL break it up and it will look great when finished.

Blog Entries
    I like it If you want to tone it down a bit use the red as a border and maybe in between the rows. Please don't give up on it

Blog Entries
    PS If you don't like it send it to me !!!!!

The verdict is in! He likes it with the black sashing and a black border - I will bind with the red, I think, unless this brillant group has other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Trene View Post
    The verdict is in! He likes it with the black sashing and a black border - I will bind with the red, I think, unless this brillant group has other ideas?
    It will look great! Please post a picture when you're finished.

I like the idea of breaking it up with a dark red - but I'd go with a solid rather than the red print you have there.

I think any accent solid fabric would remove the "business" of the entire quilt. My son has collected comics for 39 years and has a massive collection. He would just love a quilt like this one. Where did you ever find this fabric?

Blog Entries
    My son and my hubby would both love those fabrics in a quilt. I agree with the other posts about adding sashing. When we make a quilt for someone else, it's important to keep their likes and interests in mind; it's not necessarily about what we would choose. Keep going and be sure to show us the finished quilt. I think you'll like the finished product better!
    Mavis

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    So glad you have a solution that makes you happy! It's going to be terrific when it's fnished. Do share a final pic with us.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

How about sashing between the blocks ? Red or black would define the blocks.

Sashing is exactly what I would suggest also. I think it would break up all that "busyness". Good "male" quilt though.
    Maybe even try both vertically & horizontally to see what works best. Good luck.
    Dance like no one is watching

I bought the fabric online from Keepsake quilting and Fabric Worm. It took a couple of tries to get what I needed, as it seems to sell out fast.

I still don't love this top, but my spouse does. As noted by many posters, this is what matters!

This is my first experience making a quilt for someone else that I would not make for myself - it has been a real challenge, and a stretch for me. Not a bad thing. Thank you to everyone on this forum for helping me through this challenge. I will definately post photos!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast