Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can this top be saved?

Blog Entries
    I'd break it up a bit with some black sashing! I love the fabrics you've chosen. Be sure to post when finished!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Why wouldn't he like it? I think it's cool... The few blocks that are "framed" are sort of the focus blocks, and the rest all blends together into a busy background. But that's fine! Comic book illustration is busy like that. I would leave it just as you started. Put it together and quilt it and give him a quilt he will love.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trene View Post
    Almost finished peicing a top using the 'Perfect Ten' pattern by Swirly Girls. Love the pattern, can't stand the top I've made! Way too busy, focus prints get lost in everything else, and I don't even want to finish it! Surely I am not the only one to have a top go awry. What to do now?

Agree with others, Trene. It does need a place to rest the eye and think black to be the perfect choice. For me there's enough going on to stimulate the eye...think red sashing and border would only serve to overstimulate and, personally, my eye would be jumping all over the place focusing on nothing. If it were mine I would, also, just stitch in the ditch around each of the motifs to subtely further separate one from the other...just my opinion. Good luck....don't give up...it'll be fine!

I also would suggest sashing to slow down the busyness. You may even have to buy or borrow a few fat quarters to audition the results. I did make a quilt I didn't love. I took my blocks to a LQS to audition different fabrics and get advise. I finally got it finished and I love it. It's my 2nd grandson quilt.
    Name:  044.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  1.27 MB
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    I'd use a black fabric about an inch wide between the sections.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

Quote Originally Posted by Trene View Post
    The verdict is in! He likes it with the black sashing and a black border - I will bind with the red, I think, unless this brillant group has other ideas?
    Please post a new pic when you are finished with it.
    We will all be anxious to see the end result!

Trene-
    It is the nature of comic book art to be overly busy. I would tone it down with black sashing, and a black border with
    perhaps individual super heroes, such as the large batman and the flying superman, fussy-cut and fused on to a black background at the corners. I have also used small figures such as those in your backing fabric, cut out with four snowball
    block corners in the colors in that super hero as a border. Since that can get VERY time consuming, I would intersperse
    a plain black square between each one to cut the # needed in half. I assume that you are making a queen quilt so
    borders would help expand the quilt- a narrow black innermost border, a superhero snowball middle border and an
    outer black border. I personally think your quilt looks great, but to each his or her own...-Judy Mannix

Personally I would us a netural fabric like that gray, put this around the comic fabrics and use same as border, this will calm it down and still have some motion in it.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    It will look great once you put your sashing on it. Will be a great conversation piece for the kids to tell you who is their hero.
    Gayle Van Nort

First of all, I really like the concept, and I like your blocks, but I would definitely consider sashing, possibly black, and I think asking your husbands opinion of whatever possibilities you are considering, is a good idea. (is this a long sentence, or what). Good luck with your quilt. I am sure you will love it when it is finished.

Who is this quilt for? If it's for some teenage son, complete it as is, and he'll love it. If it's for you, well, you're going to hate the quilt, and I don't blame you. Too busy for me as well. I think the suggestion to finish it and donate it to the Linus Project is the best suggestion, if you don't have your own boy. This is a boy's quilt. A boy will love it. Water it down with sashing, and you're still going to get a quilt you hate, trust me on that one. This quilt was meant for a boy.
    MacThayer

Ditto from me.

Blog Entries
    I would put a solid black, then a 2 1/2 strip of the red , and another black around the edges & bind with the red.
    Eve

I'm glad you showed it to hubby and he gave you ideas on how he would like it. He is sure to love it even more now. I look forward to seeing it completed.
    Laurie
    God Bless Your Day

Blog Entries
    Check out using dark gray or black for sashing. Personally I like it, don't think its' too busy.
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    I have been quilting over 30 years and just love it. Any little boy would love it also. Don't be so hard on yourself. Next time try sashing. It is great as youngsters love "action" as well as action figures. While working, just think about how excited a little boy will be when he sees it. Just keep going knowing there will be excitement at the end. If you don't want it, I would finish it, even though I only have girls. It is sthat good. Don't stop.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Yes it is busy, but considering the subject matter, I expect he will like it, it reminds me of comics! You should finish it, it is bright and happy.
    pat design

Blog Entries
    Yes, it is very busy, but you could frame some of the pictures with almost solid reds, yellows, green, etc, the colors that are in the fabric and then arrange them to form a line, zig zag, etc. ( with the sashing I mean). It is very workable. Nice of you to do that for your hubby.
    TxCaRose

It looks just like a comic book page...colorful, busy, and lots to look at. I have a feeling your hubby will love it!

Blog Entries
    This quilt will be worth the time to rip the blocks apart and put a dark red or black sashing between them to give the eye a place to rest. Other than that it will be a cool manly quilt when complete.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I'm so glad you showed it to your husband, the recipient, for his opinion. I wanted to surprise my husband with a quilt of his favorite things and had seen a "row" quilt that I thought would be just perfect for the material and appliques I'd picked out. He hated it. He loved the blocks, but he hated the row layout. I ended up "framing" the blocks with two layers of "logs" plus sashing. He showed that quilt to everyone who came in the house. It was worth the work to make it what he liked.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

QM
    I agree about breaking it up. Sashings often rescue quilts.. It is not to my taste either, but before you discard your work, it might be wise to have your DH help you 'audition' sashings. Then you will have a much better idea of what he thinks of it.

Blog Entries
    I think what you have is so appropriate for the theme that any guy who loves Marvel comics enough to want them in a quilt will LOVE this busy quilt, no calming needed!

I'm probably way late...I think it's perfect. Have you ever read a comic book.....hard for me to follow because they are so busy. My boys who love comic books would be thrilled so will your husband. I would calm it down with the light blue as a border. I think it's fantastic and if he doesn't like it I have boys that I will not show this pic too because then I will get the request and I just can't say no to these monsters!
    *Rachel*

The sashing is a great change for any quilt. Also when it is quilted it will change again. Many quilts tops that are not liked, and the quilting change them. Love your work and so will the one you love.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast