Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Can this top be saved?

Personally, I think it's a cool quilt with the collage look. Neat fabrics!!! I think your husband will love it. I definitely would frame it in red.

This is wonderful. It will be loved!

How about some flying geese like thunderbolts between the sections or around the edge? Perhaps the red on the blue? I think it's cute! But I wouldn't want to sleep under it either.

My, my, that is a busy quilt! Since your husband requested the quilt, I would ask his opinion of what he thinks about it, but I would frame he squares with a black or grey color, that way it won't be so busy and distracting

Quote Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
    Logofflater made a great point, I know my husband has a different take on things and what is visually pleasing. For me, I like the idea of adding a staggered vertical black sashing strip to each of horizontal sections and then adding a black sashing between each of the 3 horizontal sections and using the same sashing as the first border. The sashing could mimic the breaking up of the frames in comic books. But, I have a feeling your honey might like it "as is".
    I also have to add my two cents in agreement with Logofflater and Suze9395. My husband loves to read the comics and I find them irritating to read because they are so busy. He will love the quilt! I actually love the way the quilt is laid out as a collage and I love your quilt. Maybe you are discouraged just because it is not your usual choice for fabrics in a quilt. I certainly think you should complete the quilt for your husband and then your next one should be one totally done the way you like it, fabric, color, etc.!

Have none of you women ever read "Where's Waldo?" Sometimes a complicated picture is the idea and calming it down is counterproductive. Repeatedly people are posting about adding sashing to calm it down. This runs counter to some basic differences we all know about. Women like nice calm romance movies while men grit their teeth all the way through it but when it comes to an action movie the women want to excuse themselves. Don't be surprised when a male of the species declines your sashing to calm it down. ( For those of you who missed it or were too lazy to read all the posts her husband has already approved her doing it with black sashing - good man. )

My wife and I learned about the difference between what we liked and what our boys like when they just wouldn't wear the clothes we had so carefully chosen for them. Most of those clothes went to the church rummage sale in pristine condition. We had to actually listen to what the boys requested and then get exactly that. Startling revelation wasn't it? In retailing they call it listening to the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kehoeta View Post
    I would break up the 3 sections with a dark sashing to slow the eye down when looking over the blocks..
    Or even divide the 3 sections, more and reassemble them so they are staggered?
    I agree, it's hard for the eye to read the quilt. I've been a Marvel fan since the 10 cent comic days. How about quilting or appliqueing big ol' comic words/slogans/symbols to the sashing? E.g. "Faster than a Speeding Bullet. Stan 'the Man' Lee. It's Smashing Time, Flame On! (are the Fantastic Four Marvel?), Gotham City, With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"........ You could ask your husband for his favorites.

I think this is a very witty, fun quilt!

BTW logofflater, I'm the married mother of two sons with plenty of estrogen and I LOVE action flicks and think sloppy, sentimental chick-flicks cause tooth decay.
    Last edited by Greenheron; 04-23-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like there is a lot of good information and you may have made up your mind. Please the customer by showing him the various options and having him select what he truly wants. You will have a satisfied customer. Good luck and may the force be with you.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

I got one started like that. I think I'm going to put a big solid block between all those busy cartoons. I don't want to work on mine either.

I agree, a sashing would help break up the busyness.

I think it is really cool, your husband will really love, to use the dark red as sashing though.

I agree about the sashing. I'm sure you'll like it better if you do that. These appear to be rectangular blocks, and maybe it would work to cut them in half to make room for more sashing. If your DH picked the fabrics, he's sure to like it even if you don't. If it's meant to be something he will snuggle under while watching TV, I'll bet he'll look cute wrapped in it, or well-loved, anyway.

I agree. It is crazy busy. The easiest solution is to make fairly wide - say 2 in or more - borders of a calm color - like the exact Batman blue or white or yellow even black to calm things down a bit.
    This is a great idea for a quilt! Reminds me of a t-shirt or flag quilt.
    Busy, rest, busy, rest. It is easier to focus instead of your eye jumping around.
    Soon, I will make a quilt for my son out of his old Punk rock tees. Loud and trashy. It will have 4 inch wide borders in black in between. Like a frame for a poster.
    Right now, I am finishing a quilt I made for DH. It is his choice and his colors, not mine, but I am adding a few specific things to make it easier (for me) to live with, like embroidery, and a few odd fabric choices here and there. He likes desert colors, I like 30s repro and old fashioned quilts.
    In an earlier post, I said I didn't like machine - quilting, but then I remembered that one of the baby quilts I made was quilt as you go with circles machine appliqed to a square. I machine satin-stitched (tight zig-zag) the circles and it looked really good. of course, I had to finish the back by hand.
    Lottie
    Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken.

Blog Entries
    I think it's cool just like it is. The comic books themselves are busy with no place to really rest the eye. I see no reason why the quilt shouldn't be the same. The recipient will love it just as it is IMHO. Nice work!!!
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

My guess is that his ego will soar at the thought of how much of a here he is to you!!!
    Quilting is my source of sanity!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kehoeta View Post
    I would break up the 3 sections with a dark sashing to slow the eye down when looking over the blocks..

Sometimes our "guy" quilts are harder because they aren't made with fabrics we love.
    I agree with both sentiments. My DH picked out fabrics for his quilt & it look liked different shades of dirt to me!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    I agree. Put the dark red fabric in as sashing (or another more solid fabric) and you'll feel differently about it, I think. It is cool! I think you both will like it in the end. Good job!
    _
    That is what I was thinking too. You will be surprised how each block will stop the business. I think he will love it. The sashing will do it. Good Job!
    I love to encourage people to feel good about themselves. You are beautiful to God and you are beautiful to me. You were put here for a purpose and you never know how much you have touched someone elses life.

I agree use the red to beak it up it would give it a lift

I agree with the dark red sashing it would give it a lift and break up the fussyness

Cool Saving the quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Trene View Post
    Almost finished peicing a top using the 'Perfect Ten' pattern by Swirly Girls. Love the pattern, can't stand the top I've made! Way too busy, focus prints get lost in everything else, and I don't even want to finish it! Surely I am not the only one to have a top go awry. What to do now?
    I would likely swap out the light blue fabric for some black Kona cotton and use that as my sashing...then place a 2" finished border of black around the whole thing followed by a 2 1/2" border of the red and it will quiet it down while "outlining" like we did when coloring as kids... just like in comic books. Just lay a bit of it out and see what you think. Carly in SC

I have to say, I like it, I like it a lot! It's very unusual, it's bright, it's playful and made with love! What more can the man want. I'm sure you'll feel different when finished and I'm sure your husband will love it.

I like the idea of setting it in sections with a solid color, I think black would look nice. Good luck!

Thank you all for the wonderful assistance in my distress! I have ordered Kona black and more of the backing fabric (not enough with the sashing) and will post pictures when it is done. then I can stress about how to quilt it (I hand quilt or tie, but may be emboldened to try quilting on my machine...)! Thank you again - this board really rocks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4