Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you buy this size template somewhere??? >

Can you buy this size template somewhere???

Can you buy this size template somewhere???

Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
Love the glass shop idea to cut plexiglass but can't you cut your own if you have a jigsaw? I haven't tried this yet but am considering it.
DH has cut templates from acrylic for me. When I got my new machine in November, he made an acrylic insert that goes in my sewing cabinet to make the machine fit so that I have a flat surface for quilting. When I bought the cabinet they had to order the insert to fit my machine. It cost me an extra $56.00. Frankly, the one that DH made fits better aound the machine than the one that I paid to have made. And I didn't have to wait weeks to get it!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by barblr View Post
I found this quilt pattern in a 2007 magazine that I love, so it says to 'make' a triangle template, that should have been my clue. I've started sewing the strips together, and googled and searched and do not see a triangle this large. Measures:
18 3/8" across bottom, 9 3/16" from center bottom to top and the sides of triangle are 13".
Anyone have ideas? I'm going to JoAnns and fabric stores on Friday, was hoping to find one but I'm thinking 'no'.
Barbara in N MN
If I did my math correct, and I mean punch it into my quilt calculator, all you need to do is cut a square of fabric 27 1/4 inches and the cut it in half. I would do this with paper first to test the out. And this would save you money in buying a ruler you may not use often. Let me know if this works.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 PM

I went last week and had 8 cut from a 12.5 inch square triangles diamonds 90% & 45% and every thing i thought i might want the total was $37.00 less than the cost of a couple rulers
Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
if you have a lot of triangles to make, it might be worth having a glass shop cut you a template out of window plastic
Old 02-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
I go to my local plastics company and they will cut whatever measurements I need using 1/4" or thicker acryllic. I don't mind that there are no markings because my templates are usually for a specific quilt block size. Also, these templates are accurate and much cheaper than what I could buy even with a discount coupon.

Before I found the plastics company I would draw my own templates on paper ... or print them on the computer and print them out - paste/glue them onto Xray film and cut the Xray film out and use it for my template. Now you can easily buy template plastic in various stores. Then I had access to free used Xay film. Actually I still have a lot of that left, as I prefer the acryllic templates more.

PM me and I can get you an estimate of the cost if you are interested.

ali
There is template plastic that has 1/4" lines on it if you wanted to attach it to your acrylic plastic triangle. I have found it at our favorite store "Joann's".
K
Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 AM

I found a 20 1/2 inch Sq at Fayes Hen House in Mayville, ND on Friday, was so happy they had one as Joann's did not. And it was 20% off, not as good as using my 40% at Joann's but was happy for 20% off. Next option would have been to order on-line as Faye's Hen House is approx 160 miles away. But was a nice day spent with friends.
Thank you ladies for your responses.