Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you buy this size template somewhere??? >

Can you buy this size template somewhere???

Can you buy this size template somewhere???

Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 AM

Unhappy Can you buy this size template somewhere???

I found this quilt pattern in a 2007 magazine that I love, so it says to 'make' a triangle template, that should have been my clue. I've started sewing the strips together, and googled and searched and do not see a triangle this large. Measures:
18 3/8" across bottom, 9 3/16" from center bottom to top and the sides of triangle are 13".
Anyone have ideas? I'm going to JoAnns and fabric stores on Friday, was hoping to find one but I'm thinking 'no'.
Barbara in N MN
Old 02-13-2012, 07:33 AM

Could you use the measurements given in the magazine and make your own template?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Here is a big one at Quilt in a Day. And today is 1 cent shipping!http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...ay.asp?i=30855 There use to be a much bigger one for sale but it's no longer there. It's double the size of this one.

My mistake, this is the biggest one. I have it so I went and measured. It's 30 inches across the bottom.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 02-13-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

if you have a lot of triangles to make, it might be worth having a glass shop cut you a template out of window plastic
Old 02-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
if you have a lot of triangles to make, it might be worth having a glass shop cut you a template out of window plastic
Ditto!
When I am going to use a template a lot, I take it to the local glass shop and they cut it from plexiglass, which is the same as our rulers. And it does not cost an arm and a leg!

The only drawback is that there's no markings which we are used to with our rulers.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

The big ruler at QIAD is great for squaring up a quilt top too. It's big enough to get all the corners perfectly square.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Ditto!
When I am going to use a template a lot, I take it to the local glass shop and they cut it from plexiglass, which is the same as our rulers. And it does not cost an arm and a leg!

The only drawback is that there's no markings which we are used to with our rulers.
You may not get all the teeny tiny markings of each inch, but to get basic lines and angles etc. on your acrylic or plexiglass rulers and templates, you could always go to the site you have seen the ruler, enlarge the ruler as big as it will go by clicking on the picture, then right click, copy image, and paste it into WORD (as an example). Draw or copy a 1" square on the page and print. Check the 1" sq to see if the ruler is correct size, if not enlarge or reduce and print again. Lay the paper under the ruler, take a regular ruler and draw the lines you need with a Sharpie. There may be an easier way to do it, but this is one way to do it. I also use the Snipping Tool on my computer and copy and paste what I would like to save.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I use one like this for swuaring up my quilts AND for cutting large triangles.

http://www.amazon.com/Omnigrip-2-Inc.../dp/B001CE394M

Jan in VA
Old 02-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Those measurements are for a right triangle so I'd just get a 15" square ruler and use the part that you need from that. Then you can use it for other things after this project like others have said.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 PM

I've seen the one Jan in VA linked to - my local Joann's has carried it, and you can use a 40-50% off coupon.