Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can you buy this size template somewhere???

Unhappy Can you buy this size template somewhere???

I found this quilt pattern in a 2007 magazine that I love, so it says to 'make' a triangle template, that should have been my clue. I've started sewing the strips together, and googled and searched and do not see a triangle this large. Measures:
    18 3/8" across bottom, 9 3/16" from center bottom to top and the sides of triangle are 13".
    Anyone have ideas? I'm going to JoAnns and fabric stores on Friday, was hoping to find one but I'm thinking 'no'.
    Barbara in N MN

Could you use the measurements given in the magazine and make your own template?

Blog Entries
    Here is a big one at Quilt in a Day. And today is 1 cent shipping!http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...ay.asp?i=30855 There use to be a much bigger one for sale but it's no longer there. It's double the size of this one.

My mistake, this is the biggest one. I have it so I went and measured. It's 30 inches across the bottom.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 02-13-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    if you have a lot of triangles to make, it might be worth having a glass shop cut you a template out of window plastic
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    if you have a lot of triangles to make, it might be worth having a glass shop cut you a template out of window plastic
    Ditto!
    When I am going to use a template a lot, I take it to the local glass shop and they cut it from plexiglass, which is the same as our rulers. And it does not cost an arm and a leg!

The only drawback is that there's no markings which we are used to with our rulers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    The big ruler at QIAD is great for squaring up a quilt top too. It's big enough to get all the corners perfectly square.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Ditto!
    When I am going to use a template a lot, I take it to the local glass shop and they cut it from plexiglass, which is the same as our rulers. And it does not cost an arm and a leg!

The only drawback is that there's no markings which we are used to with our rulers.
    You may not get all the teeny tiny markings of each inch, but to get basic lines and angles etc. on your acrylic or plexiglass rulers and templates, you could always go to the site you have seen the ruler, enlarge the ruler as big as it will go by clicking on the picture, then right click, copy image, and paste it into WORD (as an example). Draw or copy a 1" square on the page and print. Check the 1" sq to see if the ruler is correct size, if not enlarge or reduce and print again. Lay the paper under the ruler, take a regular ruler and draw the lines you need with a Sharpie. There may be an easier way to do it, but this is one way to do it. I also use the Snipping Tool on my computer and copy and paste what I would like to save.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I use one like this for swuaring up my quilts AND for cutting large triangles.

http://www.amazon.com/Omnigrip-2-Inc.../dp/B001CE394M

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Those measurements are for a right triangle so I'd just get a 15" square ruler and use the part that you need from that. Then you can use it for other things after this project like others have said.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I've seen the one Jan in VA linked to - my local Joann's has carried it, and you can use a 40-50% off coupon.

I have a 40% coupon to Joannes, going there Friday, yah. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Banned
    You can use any square ruler that is the size. If you don't want to invest in the ruler then make a paper pattern the size and use it as a pattern. Fix it to the fabric and then use the rotary cutter to cut out the shape. I have several square rulers and they all have lines in which you could line up the corner for the triangle. I put some kind of tape on the bottom edge to be able to alighn up correctly. Not a problem and you don't need an expensive ruler to do it.
    The large ruler I have retails for just under $50 which is a lot of $$ for occasional use.

A 15" square ruler is about 20" on the diagonal. If you have a 15" ruler, you could use that to cut your triangles.

Love the glass shop idea to cut plexiglass but can't you cut your own if you have a jigsaw? I haven't tried this yet but am considering it.
    Linda

I go to my local plastics company and they will cut whatever measurements I need using 1/4" or thicker acryllic. I don't mind that there are no markings because my templates are usually for a specific quilt block size. Also, these templates are accurate and much cheaper than what I could buy even with a discount coupon.

Before I found the plastics company I would draw my own templates on paper ... or print them on the computer and print them out - paste/glue them onto Xray film and cut the Xray film out and use it for my template. Now you can easily buy template plastic in various stores. Then I had access to free used Xay film. Actually I still have a lot of that left, as I prefer the acryllic templates more.

PM me and I can get you an estimate of the cost if you are interested.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I use my set-in triangles ruler all the time for diagonal set quilts. Mine is by Lynn Graves at Little Foot, Ltd. It is was made by Omnigrid. With the measurements on it, all you need is the size of the unfinished blook to be able to cut the setting triangles from a strip of fabric and not have to cut a big square and cut it in 4-corner to corner. Gets rid of a whole bunch of math and formula.

I do a lot of woodworking and furniture refinishing, so I bought and use a regular carpenter's square with cork on one side: Stanley Carpenters Square Steel 68045500 as well as the Keson KS80RS 7" raftersquare to draw my templates on stencil material (nice sturdy plastic). I've also made a few templates out of 1/32" press board for the larger ones I use most often. All these are virtually indestructible and I've had them for years! Good luck!
    Last edited by timpson; 02-14-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo
    Teresa

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Blog Entries
    my first concern would be using 16th's as measurements. I'm working on a quilt that has 16th's and I've had to adjust up to 1/8's then trim down since my rulers don't have 1/16ths.

I'm at Joanns all the time and have never seen triangle rulers that large. But, then I haven't really looked for one that large.

Good Luck on the quilt!!
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

You really don't need a template do you? cut strip of fabric 9 1/4 inches and then cut a triangle from that.

This would be a 13" square ruler--half of it would be your triangle. I have a 12 1/2" square ruler, close!

Quote Originally Posted by barblr View Post
    I found this quilt pattern in a 2007 magazine that I love, so it says to 'make' a triangle template, that should have been my clue. I've started sewing the strips together, and googled and searched and do not see a triangle this large. Measures:
    18 3/8" across bottom, 9 3/16" from center bottom to top and the sides of triangle are 13".
    Anyone have ideas? I'm going to JoAnns and fabric stores on Friday, was hoping to find one but I'm thinking 'no'.
    Barbara in N MN

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Love the glass shop idea to cut plexiglass but can't you cut your own if you have a jigsaw? I haven't tried this yet but am considering it.
    DH has cut templates from acrylic for me. When I got my new machine in November, he made an acrylic insert that goes in my sewing cabinet to make the machine fit so that I have a flat surface for quilting. When I bought the cabinet they had to order the insert to fit my machine. It cost me an extra $56.00. Frankly, the one that DH made fits better aound the machine than the one that I paid to have made. And I didn't have to wait weeks to get it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barblr View Post
    Barbara in N MN
    If I did my math correct, and I mean punch it into my quilt calculator, all you need to do is cut a square of fabric 27 1/4 inches and the cut it in half. I would do this with paper first to test the out. And this would save you money in buying a ruler you may not use often. Let me know if this works.
    The Quilting Bear

I went last week and had 8 cut from a 12.5 inch square triangles diamonds 90% & 45% and every thing i thought i might want the total was $37.00 less than the cost of a couple rulers
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    I go to my local plastics company and they will cut whatever measurements I need using 1/4" or thicker acryllic. I don't mind that there are no markings because my templates are usually for a specific quilt block size. Also, these templates are accurate and much cheaper than what I could buy even with a discount coupon.

Before I found the plastics company I would draw my own templates on paper ... or print them on the computer and print them out - paste/glue them onto Xray film and cut the Xray film out and use it for my template. Now you can easily buy template plastic in various stores. Then I had access to free used Xay film. Actually I still have a lot of that left, as I prefer the acryllic templates more.

PM me and I can get you an estimate of the cost if you are interested.

ali
    There is template plastic that has 1/4" lines on it if you wanted to attach it to your acrylic plastic triangle. I have found it at our favorite store "Joann's".
    K

I found a 20 1/2 inch Sq at Fayes Hen House in Mayville, ND on Friday, was so happy they had one as Joann's did not. And it was 20% off, not as good as using my 40% at Joann's but was happy for 20% off. Next option would have been to order on-line as Faye's Hen House is approx 160 miles away. But was a nice day spent with friends.
    Thank you ladies for your responses.