Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you Quilt with Homespun? >

Can you Quilt with Homespun?

Can you Quilt with Homespun?

Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 AM

A lot of people do. I'm on a limited budget so I'm slowly collecting homespun for a pattern I have for a french braid quilt done with homespun; it's so pretty.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 AM

They make wonderful quilts. I really can't imagine anyone saying otherwise.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:36 AM

Homespuns are one of my favorites this is one I made 8 years ago for my oldest son. I hand quilted it. I never prewash I know a big nono!! This was taken today on my sons bed. Still in awesome condition and it has been washed alot I have never had to do a repair on it.
Attached Thumbnails cimg1799.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 06:00 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I just made a quilt using homespun and had it LAQ and it's wonderful. I didn't prewash (didn't know I should) and I've had no problems. The homespun is over half of my quilt. BUT, I have to use the homespun for the binding and I'm putting that off because I'm worried about the fraying. I think I will starch it and see if I can do it okay. Good luck. And remember, everyone that told you not to use it, it was just their opinion. I've already read all this thread and we all agree that it's fine to use it. Glad someone didn't discourage me before I made my beautiful quilt. I have lots of homespun left to make a couple more quilts, too. I've been collecting them also.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Add me to the homespun bandwagon. They are not a problem to work with and I had no issues with fraying when I made the below quilt. This had a combination of highend LQS homespuns, which definitely some of them were a much tighter weave and heavier fabric and homespuns from wallyworld and all of them are holding up just fine. This quilt is used daily. It is backed with flannel, W&N batting and quilted witha simple cross hatch grid done on my Bernina.

When I peiced the triangles in this quilt it was all done with the method of using squares and stitching a diagonal across the square and cutting off the excess. I had no issues.
Attached Thumbnails homespun-cat-quilt.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 AM

Here is one I did...they do ravel more and some bleed a lot - so I recommend pre-washing.
Attached Thumbnails his.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Lovely cat quilt!

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Add me to the homespun bandwagon. They are not a problem to work with and I had no issues with fraying when I made the below quilt. This had a combination of highend LQS homespuns, which definitely some of them were a much tighter weave and heavier fabric and homespuns from wallyworld and all of them are holding up just fine. This quilt is used daily. It is backed with flannel, W&N batting and quilted witha simple cross hatch grid done on my Bernina.

When I peiced the triangles in this quilt it was all done with the method of using squares and stitching a diagonal across the square and cutting off the excess. I had no issues.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 AM

I made this one for my daughter when she ill many years ago. It has been washed, many times and is now one of her kitties favorite blankets. Ten years later I can say that it's still hanging in there. The cats have been the main threat, but they seem to know that it is something special. Daughter is holding up well, too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]321471[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails kat01.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 AM

What beautiful quilts. I would love to make a quilt from homespun. Thanks for all the pictures everyone.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 AM

Homespuns quilt up nicely. It's really a persons personal opinion on whether they like it or not. One's that usually don't like homespun will not recommend it for quilting, at least that has been my experience. I've made a rag quilt from homespun and it turned out nice.