Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Canadian on-line shoppers >

Canadian on-line shoppers

Canadian on-line shoppers

Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 AM

I’m in the UK and the only site I don’t pay taxes and duty on is Connecting Threads
Old 05-25-2018, 02:42 PM

I honestly believe that it depends on which side of the bed the customs officer got out of and if he/she had a fight with a spouse in the last 24 hours . Yes things have been very hit and miss. I am finding myself driving further and spending less. Two of the LQS that I used to patronage, have closed in the last couple of years. I am becoming more and more thankful for my stash and friends willing to trade/sell.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
I order from Amazon.ca and those packages are shipped within Canada. I have not ordered from Fabric.com since it was sold to Amazon.

Janie I am surprized Connecting Threads was going to charge you PST, I have not been charged it only GST and I live in BC where we have PST. On their website, they show which taxes will be charged based on which province the parcel is being delivered to. AB says 5%. I know not everyone likes their thread, but me and my machines (Kenmore, Janome and Handiquilter) like it and the price is very reasonable, even better during their sales. I like the wide backings too.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/m...-e.asp#1393887 Section 2 is how Canada Post applies Customs Duty, GST and handling to imports. But it does not explain why there can be a huge variation in the application of the rules.
the incident I had with Connecting Threads was a few years ago, Tothill so their policy may have changed. 5% to AB would be fair, but that wasn’t what she wanted to charge me more than that. It was a weird conversation.

thanks for the info, I may try them again.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:22 AM

Wonder if you might share some of these Canadian online sites. I would
like to try them. Thx