Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot use a thimble....argh!

Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I can't use a thimble due to long fingernails.
    I use the ones with the little lip on them, and a hole for the long fingernails to fit into.
    I used that one for a long time. When I first started using a thimble I just couldn't . Found that one and used it for a long time. It just got too tight. Even heating it wasn't stretching it enough then the newer ones that came out seemed really cheap. Found an only metal thimble that worked well. Now I cant's sew without one.

I thought I was the only one who had trouble with thimbles. I use a leather one on my THUMB for hand quilting, and nothing on the hand underneath the quilt. After a few days of quilting, the middle finger underneath gets a callous and I'm a quilting machine. If I had to use my middle finger to quilt, I'd never be able to do it.

I could NEVER use a thimble until I bought a TJ Thimble. You will not regret the purchase. http://thimbles2fit.com/ They are made to fit your finger. Buy the open thimble (long finger nails are not a problem).

I'm the same way. I've tried all kinds and just can't get used to them. If my finger starts to get sore, I wrap that blue painter's tape around it which seems to work for me.

This brought back memories. I was teaching a beginner class and one of the ladies was having a terrible time adjusting to a thimble. I suggested she put it on and go about her daily work. The next week she came to class wearing her thimble. She told how she had gone grocery shopping and the checkout lady asked her why she was wearing a thimble? She said "I'm practicing for quilting class". After a couple weeks she came to class and from half way across the room, sang out, "I got it--it finally works". So don't give up. a leather thimble may be the answer for you. She has gone on to make some very lovely hand quilted projects.
    Make sure the thimble you use actually fits your finger. If its to tight or to loose, you will have problems. It should stay on your finger when you hold your hand down, but not be so tight it hurts. Hope that helps.

When I was a child my Grandmother insisted that I learn to use a thimble. It was not easy. I used it for a bit each time I sewed and finally got used to having it on my finger. I now hand quilt with two thimbles, middle fingers of each hand. I use a silver thimble that was my Grandmother's on my right hand, and she is with me every stitch I take.

I love the Clover thimbles, I think they are silicone, they fit really good. You can get them in different colors, mine is yellow. The color denotes the size. They have the metal on the tip with a ridge around the outside to prevent the needle from slipping off. Before I found this, I always used the metal ones with the ridge, as the needle was always slipping off the thimble and hitting my finger where I didn't want it to go.

Blu tack???? What is that and where do you get it? My fingers aren't so big, but I am right between Med. and Sm, so I can't get one to fit at all. I have tried all suggestions I have read here from the leather which don't stay on, to taking a hammer and pounding them out of shape. Yup did that too. So I can't use a thimble although would like to because of the hole poking. Now I am doing the stab sew, when I hand quilt. Just works better that way. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Rita

I have never mastered a thimble. I have tried all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    it takes a while to get used to. Try wearing one even when you are not quilting to get used to having it on your finger.
    That's a good idea. Mine is so comfortable and well-fitting that I can put down my hand work and do other things and not even feel the thimble. If you find a thimble like that, it will get easier. I have also found that older thimbles, tha have been well used and wron smoother on the inside are more comfortable than new ones. These turn up a lot at antique shows etc.

I tried them all too. The best luck was with a leather one, but it soon stretched out and I spent more time chasing a dropped thimble than sewing. So here is what I do now. When my finger starts to get sore, I take some blue painter's tape and wrap the end. I just tear a skinny strip off so there isn't too much bulk. The bonus is the cost is alot cheaper than all those thimbles sitting in the drawer now. Give it a try. :)

I also can't seem to be able to use a thimble. So I cut off the finger part of dishwashing rubber gloves and it worked. I did not know of the leather thimbles and perhaps I should try them (but I have about 20 rubberglove fingertips to use up) Oh well, saved some money for now anyways.

I can't either. I use 1/2" paper tape and just wrap it around my finger. It is tape in the medicine isle. It is cheap and can be used for my grandson who is alergic to latex and we keep this tape on hand for those little booboos!

When cross stitching I use a tiny piece of batting. Then I wrap it with two "rounds" of sports tape. The white type. When quilting, however, I do use a thimble. Hope you find something that will work for you. Making a permanent hole in your finger is NOT the way to have fun!!

This is the one that works for me!
    http://www.threadandmore.com/scripts...idproduct=3380

i'm a lefty also, but i have learned to use the leather thimble
    it slips sometimes but it works best for me

I to cannot use a thimble. My mother, who was in interior decorator, would keep after me to use a thimble, to no avail. I found a product called ThimblePad. They are little leather pads that stick to your finger. I've found this works really well for me.

I have trouble with rigid thimbles too, stubby shaped fingers, Arggg. The great thing about leather with metal tips is they shape themselves to your finger after wearing awhile. Hang it there, it is worth feeling awkward for awhile.

I feel so much better when I hear others say they can't use a thimble. My thimble I've had for years is still brand new and shiny because whatever finger I put it on, I use one of my bare fingers! Thank you for all the suggestions that I'm going to try one by one because I'm tired of having sore fingers.

I had a hard time learning to use one. My Mother rest her soul said for me to put the thimble on wear it all day and get used to doing things with it and even wear it when sewing and one day you will begin to use it and not remember when or how it came about. I did that and am using one all the time. I use mine on my middle finger. Also if you are sewing the binding maybe a longer needle will do for you. I do use a thimble when I sew the binding on. Try a longer needle. Quilter000

My fingers are so small, and I can't get a thimble to stay on. I use a leather thimble and it works great. I am left handed and the leather thimble can be use for either hand.

Blog Entries
    i have the same problem. i use the little stick on leather circles. i also have a 'regular' leather thimble but even the small is to large for me. leather dots are the way to go for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    I'm a lefty so I use a leather thimble on my left middle finger and a finger cot on my left thumb.
    Me too. I use the leather ones. I have a collection of thimbles my GM kept giving me. Some are sterling silver with mother-of-pearl and are real collectors items.

Suggestion: Try a leather thimble. If you can get used to that, then try a rubber/plastic one, then a metal one. It is really difficult to learn to use a thimble. I am so grateful to my 7th grade Home Economics teacher who insisted we learn to use a thimble if we wanted a passing grade. She said we'd never regret it. I really struggled & muttered various unkind words under my breath but finally learned & now I can't sew without one. I do have trouble finding thimbles that fit. Apparently my finger tips are smaller than most. Finding a small enough one is difficult.

I found some small leather dots at the lqs and they are wonderful - It is sticky on the back and reusable - I just take it off and put it on my thread caddy - I think to use a thimble - you had to be introduced to them early in life - so glad I am not the only one

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast