Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Cannot use a thimble....argh!

Power Poster
    I use a leather thimble and a quilters spoon.

I love my leather thimble, works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt-n-girl
    Everyone is very helpful on this forum, I could not use the dots, for some reason, I sweat alot thanks to power Serges
    (menopause.) :cry:
    Think 'Short Tropical Holidays' got to look on the bright side where the big M is concerned. 12yrs of it (w/HRT) and sore thimble fingers as well - urrgh

I think I'm really a happy girl - I do a lot of hand quilting without a thimble and I don't have sore fingers! Maybe it's a question of the technique I use...

I use the little round leather dots, as well, because of long nails. I find they protect the finger quite well.

I have also used two layers of electrical tape in a pinch!

Here's my 2 cents worth and it has worked for many years. I put a rubber finger cot over the thimble. Keeps the thimble on till I take it off. Sometimes I cut off a finger from an old dish-washing glove and use it. You can use the same one over and over till it wears out. I use my Grandmother's old thimble and could not sew without it.

One easy thimble to wear is to take a pair of leather garden gloves and cut off the finger(s). I use these on my fingers or thumb and then the little dot on the other hand...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe03
    I just cannot come to terms with using a thimble. I only have one end of my binding sewn and am already well on my way to a sore finger! Anyone else have this problem and what do you use to keep the needle eye from poking at you?
    I am trying to learn to use a thimble also. It just feels so unnatural. When I quilt I put Super Glue on the tips of my fingers on my left hand, as far as the right one goes I use my finger nail until the needle pokes thru it, than I apply Super glue & tape, but it is a pain also. I have sewn since I was 9 yrs old & just never got use to a thimble, but wished I had.
    Sore fingers are not fun, I feel for you.

do more quilting until you get a callus on the end of your finger....after that, no problem :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    I have the same problem. I found these, which are called "Nimble Thimble" and they have a slit that your fingernail goes through. I have a tendency to push with the side of my middle finger, and this one comes down to the first knuckle and protects the side of my finger. As with most things, the small is too tight and the medium is not tight enough, but I found that if I put a finger cot on first, the thimble fits good.

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...348&cat_id=143

What would happen if you soaked the too large one in water and wore it until it dried? Wouldn't that shrink it to size? Or is tooo large? k

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I can't use a thimble due to long fingernails.

My jr. high sewing teacher knew I would never learn to sew very well because I had such a hard time with a thimble. I am happy to tell you I am a prize winning wearable artist, quilter and writer. I have learned to use a thimble along the way, but I don't think it made me sew any better. To be helpful, getting one that fits is very important.

I didn't wear a real thimble until I found one that fit! While cleaning out my deceased great-aunt's sewing supplies - I found one. It looked like a piece of junk. As I used it - the tarnish wore off and I found that I had a 24 carat gold thimble! Folks warn me that gold is soft and will wear out. Not yet - 20+ years and counting. In the winter when I'm cold, sometimes it doesn't fit quite so well. Then I just lick my finger and the extra moisture does the trick. I used to go through leather thimbles like crazy. I buy any new ones I find on the market. I have to keep the middle finger nail a bit shorter than the rest so I don't break it. But there are many cool ones on the market that let your fingernail through. As a guitarist, I have gotten used to calluses on my left hand. Perhaps you can develop a good one where you need it. There are no rules - but never stop experimenting. That's how we learn and discover new solutions to problems.

I have bought a leather thimble that has wide elastic on the top where the nail is. I found them at Joann's, among other places, but Joann's is the only one I remember.

I too was NEVER able to keep a thimble on my finger, they were uncomfortable and generally way too big. When I started doing hand applique about 1 1/2 yrs ago I had to find something that worked. I FOUND IT!! Clover makes a metal flat tipped thimble with soft vinyl top that forms somewhat to your finger. I do hand work when my DH &
    I travel and I have started eating in restaurants and look and I still have the thimble on--it is that comfortable!

I have tried a leather thimble but my dog ate it! lol

I also collect old thimbles which are such fun as some are so ornate, different metals and I even have one with a thread cutter on the side. My oldest is probably a political thimble with Coolidge/Dawes on it!
    Good luck finding one that will work for you. Sue

While looking at one of the suggested sites, I saw what is called a 'hand held quilting thimble'. It is stainless steel and is held in the hand rather than go on a finger. I've never tried it, but it looked like an interesting possibility for those who cannot use any other kind.

The site for the stainless steel hand held thimble is www.threadandmore.com. I forgot to add it to my previous comment.

try using the thimblepad. it is a small leather dot the adheres to your finger. they sell them at hancocks, hobby lobby or joanns. they also come in a clear plastic. i use these when i cross stitch and i really like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe03
    I just cannot come to terms with using a thimble. I only have one end of my binding sewn and am already well on my way to a sore finger! Anyone else have this problem and what do you use to keep the needle eye from poking at you?

I make my own thimbles using a piece of leather sewn up each side that fits my finger.after sewing it triple stitch I turn it in the right way and when it becomes too thin I just make another or I make half a dozen at one time , that way I don't have to make them every time I need a new one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a cheap plastic one, so I don't use them, and no I have not bleed on a quilt yet, but I can see it happening. God bless.

For handsewing binding, Thimbles & I do not get along so very well. Sooo a friend told me to try using a Straw Needle. It is a long thin needle. I ordered a couple of diff. sizes & they are wonderful for using on binding & applique. I no longer have sore fingers! WooHoo.

For handquilting I use the Thimble Ladies thimble and love it. I order those as well. I think from Clotilde.

I too had trouble wearing thimbles. Then I read in an old quilting book to wear it when you do your everyday things until you forget you have it on. Once you forget about it then you move to sewing. I forgot about mine until a checker at the store asked me if I knew I had it on lol. Now I can't sew without it. I have many different ones including the kind for when I have nails. I did have to relearn how to hold the needle but sometimes I will wear several thimbles on different fingers. Hope this helps.

I have long fingernails and I got a "tall" thimble. It works great and happens to be very pretty. Can't sew without it!

I tried for a looooong time to get used to a thimble.....it finally worked. But, sometimes, I still catch myself using the finger without the thimble. Now, however, I really feel "naked" if I don't have my thimble on. :)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6