Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't keep a secret and also need advice >

Can't keep a secret and also need advice

Can't keep a secret and also need advice

Old 12-27-2010, 06:43 AM

How wonderful! Hope all goes well. My gr-grands seem to enjoy the bright colors more than the pastels, but I'm sure any quilt made with love will do!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 AM

CONGRATULATONS Gramma to be!!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:52 AM

Congratulations Gramma!!!
Just start looking at kids quilts and then go to town. That baby will need more than one quilt you know! You need at least one to keep at your house. You will find your self looking at and making more than one quilt for that baby. Enjoy!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 AM

When my youngest daughter announced to us, I was lucky enough to have a sweet friend who quilted, She showed me how to do a prayer quilt. It was blocks that were made into a rag quilt, but with a special block that had a prayer for the new Mommy and baby (inside the block). The workmanship was far from perfect, but the quilt was. That baby is now three years old, and my daughters have taken up the art of quilting. I would say that quilt was worth a million kisses. Congratulations.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 AM

How EXCITING!! You are going to be a wonderful Grandma! Can "hear" it in your message!!

Look at some of the flannel rag quilts. I've made several for babies and they are so nice and "tactile". You can get many generic flannels--like baby animals,etc.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 AM

See I knew I could share my great news with all of you. You have given me so many great ideas! The links and pictures you've added have been great. I happened to have one generic baby print here and I'm going to start with a very generic quilt for the new baby. I'll try to post a pic when I've got it done.

One question on making receiving blankets though. One of you suggested using two different fabrics. Do you quilt receiving blankets when you use two fabrics or since they are small and there's no batting, does it not matter?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 AM

Shhhhh, won't tell. Shopping will be fun and a simple Well Wishes will get you started (laughter). Congratulations.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:10 AM

Get ready for the best time of your life. You thought you loved your children but the first time you hold that child something will happen inside and you are a prisoner of love forever. My gc's were here yesterday and I am so tired but we had so much fun. and they are all taller than I am. I am jealous of you starting over. Hugs to you.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 AM

genetics decides the color of the baby. LOL.maybe you meant the color scheme of the babys' nursery.
Sorry i couldn't resist that one.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Such wonderful times are ahead! No one can explain how special grandchildren are...the best! I am new to quilting, in fact I have only made a quilt top, now need to learn to machine quilt it....for one of the three grand-daughters, two more quilts in the making as well.

No expert advice here on the quilt...but just a thought. When I first learned a grandchild was on the way I started a journal. In it I write (by hand, that should be unique in itself) all my thoughts about waiting for them, all about their family history, each cute adorable thing they do and say and a little about world events. Their Mom does not know about this. I now have three kids to write to and I am on my third journal for the 7 year old. I even enjoy reading the beginnings of hers. We forget the little stuff that is so joyful. So you may want to start a journal, and tell that little one how much time and thought is going into their special quilt. CONGRATULATIONS,
Snowed in new quilter,with new computer, first time poster Bon