Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't keep a secret and also need advice >

Can't keep a secret and also need advice

Can't keep a secret and also need advice

Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 AM

Congratulations.. We can all keep a secret....
Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 AM

Take her to shop for fabric with you, or go to. Your favorite website to show her the many options. And don't forget Grandma's little sleep area for babe too! Congratulations!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 AM

Take her to shop for fabric with you, or go to. Your favorite website to show her the many options. And don't forget Grandma's little sleep area for babe too! Congratulations!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Congratulations! I am a "grandma wannabe".....patiently waiting for our adult children to marry and begin having kids!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Congratulations Gramma! My daughter is expecting her first grandchild- which will make me a greatgrandma!! It's hard knowing what patterns to make until you find out if it's a boy or a girl. I crochet and don't like green or yellow. Whatever yoy decide to do, you will love every minute you spend working on it.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 AM

Congratulations! Your secret is safe here.
Do use some of the Minkee - it is so soft and pretty. I made a couple with squares of Minkee alternated with a baby design of cotton. Worked out pretty well and they were so soft.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 AM

Think tactile -- babies love to touch furry and satiny things -- animals appliqued on quilts and even fleece and flannel quilts -- soft and furry things to touch
Old 12-27-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by quilter in the making
Right now she's thinking she wants Winnie the Pooh for the nursery, but she's only known she's pregnant for a week. She hasn't even started looking at baby things yet so I think she may change her mind when she sees all the cute themes there are now. They've decided they are not going to find out the sex of the baby until it's born so I definitely can't do either blue or pink. I do machine embroidery and will be doing a Pooh quilt with embroidered squares, but I also want to do a generic baby quilt to give to her soon as a congratulations quilt. I'm so excited! Thanks for letting me share with all of you.
One thing you might want to do is create art quilts also (in addition to the traditional patterns). When my first grandbaby was born (happened to be a girl) I had chosen a variety of fabric designs in the natural range (from natural, beige, tan, light browns, and from tiny flowers, lines, dots, lattice, and plaid). I designed a scene of different animal appliques, placed on the "ground" under trees, and quilted the sunshine and rays. Of all the ones I made, this was her favorite for years and I still see it occasionally draped across the foot of her bed, and she's now 14!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:22 AM

Gina ~ CONGRATULATIONS!! There is nothing more exciting than a grandbaby. I have 11 and each one was just as exciting as the first. I wish you and your daughter and SIL all the best on this new adventure for you all. There have been lots of good ideas posted and I am sure you will make just the right quilt for the grandbaby.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Oh that is so so exciting! I think just about any baby quilts are beautiful! Might want to see how she is planning to decorate the nursery - frogs, ducks, etc. though!
I agree with the above. Even though you are very excited and want to get started ( I would too). It would be best to wait and see what theme she is going to use and also maybe to wait and see if they are going to find out the sex of the baby. This way you could make even more personal.