Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-22-2011, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
My dad insisted that we spend as little as possible on his funeral - he had a strong opinion on the kind of profits funeral directors seemed to want. He even wanted us to find him a cardboard coffin, since he was going to be cremated, but they don't seem to be available in Ireland. In the end, each of us carried a single rose, and we draped his coffin in a quilt I had made him, of the White Ensign ( UK Royal Naval flag). I don't think the crematorium had seen anything like our dad's. He wasn't religious, so we didn't have a priest, we did our own thing, reminiscing on various aspects of his life, including landing on one of the D Day beaches in France. I noticed that all of the staff who had carried dad into the chapel for us stayed at the back to listen, and afterwards, one who gave me back his quilt, was kind enough to say that if it weren't for people like my dad, Ireland might have not been able to stay neutral during WW2.

It was a very kind thing to say, and I really appreciated it.
I told my family that I wanted to be buried in a cardboard box. I know our local funeral home does have them so I hope my wishes will be kept. I do not want my family to spend unavailable money on some thing that is to rot in the ground. I do not want flowers either but would prefer the money be divided between cancer, heart or Lupis research. I am not a miser but I had to fight for every penny I have and waste is not some thing I do lightly.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:21 AM

What an interesting topic! I never would have thought about a quilt instead of flowers. We've had so many friends/family pass away recently.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM

My DH and I have decided to be cremated and have everything all done so the kids or the one left behind doesn't have to go thru that awful process and make it easier on them. I think a quilt sounds like a nice idea it would be nice to think of your loved one to have it with them but on the other hand the quilt would be a wonderful family keepsake. Flowers have gotten really out of hand and to be buried is very expensive. We wanted whatever money might be left we would like our kids to have if we're both gone. It won't do us any good if we're gone and it might help them out. Sue
Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM

My mom was a quilter. When she passed away this may we took her "Masterpiece" quilt that she made and draped it over the end of the coffin. However, my sisters also insisted in getting flowers. They both looked nice, and it was a great tribute to mom and to what she loved doing.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 PM

I actually thought of that at my Dad's funeral (His casket was covered with a flag, being buried at a national cemetery with just a brief service). I think it's a great idea. Most of my family members have chosen cremation, but it would certainly be an option as a gift for another family.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 PM

I have and I do plan to make one for me.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:20 PM

I have read every entry on this subject, as I found it to be quite interesting. Years ago I made my mother a pair of quilts for her twin beds, including pillow shams and curtains. She passed away in 2010, she was to be cremated but my brothers and sister wanted to have a private viewing for family members. We have numerous members who have severe allergies or asthma and some who suffer from migraines, which can quickly be triggered by smells.. So I am very aware of smells, and suggested at the time that we use one of the pillow shams on the pillow to lay her head, and cover her with one of the quilts which were log cabins made with various rose materials! She loved that I quilted and loved to see what I was working on.... she was very supportive of my quilting and loved whatever I was working on. She looked very comfortable and still had flowers!! The quilt and sham went with her and I later gave the other quilt to my sister. I was touched and honored that my quilt would go with her, she was my running buddy and best friend. Mom sits on my mantle mostly because I was afraid that we might move and I didn't want to leave her behind. I still miss her deeply. I wouldn't have done it any other way.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM

This may kind of go along with this..I am currently doing all hand embroidery/embellishments on 2 sets of 12 squares, making a crazy quilt for myself, and one for my mom(my avatar pic is the middle of 1 square). Mom actually asked me if I would bury her with the one I am making her...I said, "Are you kidding? After all this work, no way!!...lol"...I do know that mom and I have made several afghans for people we have met while my Mom has been winning her war with cancer...and a few of their families have told us they buried their loved ones with the afghans...we thought that was very touching....So, I think if one wants flowers, or a quilt, or whatever, it is a personal choice...
Regards to all,
Kif
PS Mom is 7+ years cancer free, from lung cancer!!! :-D
Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 AM

Wonderful your mom is cancer free for so long. Praying it's forever. :thumbup:
Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 PM

I think that is a wonderful idea!!