Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 AM

When BBF Joan died, family displayed her quilts and even a quilt I'd made for her. Just a few flower bouquets. Think it's a growing trend w/quilters.

We put a blanket I was cross stitching on the casket when we lost our newborn 29 years ago. Funeral director said it was such a beatuiful idea and had never seen it done before.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 AM

I have seen companies that specialize in this. Probably find examples of them on Google. Some places even cover the body with the quilt and inter the person with it.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 AM

For a while I made quilts for deceased babies in which the family would hold their child for grieving.
I'm still making quilts for caskets, using fabric photos on the quilt and then the family has it after the service.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:16 PM

There was an American quilter, quite well known - forgot her name. She wrote a book about quilting and "invented" Peaky and Spike as shapes. Anyway, she died quite suddenly and had her favorite quilt draped over her casket. Darn!! just can't remember her name!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:40 AM

I am hoping one day my husband will make our caskets. I bought him an instruction book. I plan on making us each a lap quilt to cover with. I will make it to reflect our lives. Sue
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM

This was done at my aunt's funeral and it was very touching; the family did have a small spray of her favorite roses on top of the quilt. I plan to do the same for myself and husband.

delma

My BIL just told me the valor quilt I gave him last month will be his cover when he passes.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:53 AM

I made a small quilt bag to hold my brothers ashes....he will be scattered at some time....but wanted to wrap him in love until then.....
Old 08-23-2012, 11:46 AM

I have often reminded my grown children and grandchildren that I do not want them to buy a lot of expensive flowers for my funeral. My favorite quilts are applique quilts, anything with birds and flowers, and bright, cheerful quilts. I have made over 250 quilts since 2006 when I made my first one and each of the family has been given more than one quilt, usually one they have admired and said they love. I have asked them to bring their favorite quilt and display that in the church and to remember me sitting at the sewing machine, or holding a grandchild covered with one of my quilts. I think this would be a much more fitting memorial for me. Also having paid for three funerals in 10 years I know how expensive those flowers are and what a short time they last.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
I think this is a super great idea....Since I am going to be cremated, I could make one to be wraped in, inside my cardboard box....and make a bag to hold the container of my ashes......As I am writing this....I am thinking...I have my husbands box of ashes, currently sitting on my fireplace mantle...and upstairs I still have a bunch of his shirts I used to make quilts for his grandchildren. I think I will make that bag for him next....the anniversary of his death is tomorrow so he will have a 'new quilt' to keep him warm.
I am thinking a large circle with a drawstring.... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh an idea is born....will post pics... Please do not think I am morbid, as I am not, I was married to my childhood sweetheart for 43 years and lost him to an extremely un-expected heart attach.... I talk to him every night and he watches TV with me.....
IMHO this is a fantastic idea. I am going to make a bag for my mother's box.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I'm planning to be tossed on the bonfire - so no need for a quilt or flowers.