Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 PM

For me personally, I could not use a quilt in my home that had been on someone's casket, especially not my mother, grandmother or child. I just couldn't. But, I personally love real flowers anytime any where, so to me it's no waste to buy an arrangement for someone. What I DO NOT LIKE, is when I attend a funeral and people start picking apart the casket spray to take home flowers. I cringe. I like what they did at my dh aunts funeral, there was a large vase of roses sitting there for people to have one.

The idea that is't expensive, not sure I totally agree, I have a lot more money in some of my quilts than I put in my dad's spray. Probably 3 to 4 times as much. Seriously.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I'm planning to be tossed on the bonfire - so no need for a quilt or flowers.
S'Mores... Maybe?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 PM

My husband is a Vet... so he will have a flag. I prefer flowers. Carnations, red, white and blue... my mom used to buy them for me when I had a birthday or a baby. They last and I love them. But, I really won't care what my childre choose for that... I'd prefer to choose my own music... Nothing sad... Please dance at my funeral. Play something foot tapping and hand clapping!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 PM

I think the quilt is a great idea. Now to decide on a pattern.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM

My friend puts a special quilt on her parents grave each winter to keep them warm.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 AM

I agree with the idea completely. I've never liked the expense or how temporary cut flowers last anyway. I never buy flowers for people, occassionally a bouquet of supermarket flowers. Until my mother informed me that they had pre-paid their funerals, "And I know how you feel about flowers, so I put in that I get a real pretty boquet of flowers, it was only $100 more." I felt really bad that she likes flowers so much that she'd buy her own after she died. So now, I make sure to send her flowers a couple times a year, she's in her 80's so she deserves a little prettiness in her life. Just don't give me flowers, they are a waste.

I think I'll make her a flower quilt too and give it her now, and when she passes she can be buried with it. i think she'd like that. Thanks for the idea.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:36 AM

Never thought of that. Probably because I like to think that I'm nowhere close to using a casket. I especially like the story of the not completed quilt and then how it made it to the local fair. Something to think about.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 AM

My mother passed away 3 weeks ago. I had made her a lap quilt years ago that she used in the evenings (90 year olds are always cold). Instead of flowers in the casket, we used her quilt and had a small (8 x 10) framed note that said instead of flowers the family has donated to her favorite cause (local library). Got many comments on the choice with lots of people saying that they loved the idea. She was buried with the quilt; this is very comforting to me.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 AM

My mother loved to garden. The casket spray made sense. I did display an embroidered fleece throw that I had made for Her lap while in the nursing home, I had embroidered designs of her "life". The names of her children, her grandchildren, her roles in life, ( mother, sister, aunt, etc.). her hobbies. I wanted people to know something about her. She had dementia.

We handle dying and death in our own way. I would not have had a problem with people picking a flower from the casket spray. In fact, I think some did! Mom would have loved knowing that her flowers were shared. They ended up on her grave.

After my wedding....my sister took some of my flowers and placed them on my Dads' grave. (mom walked me down the aisle .....I was 44,). I loved that my sister did this....what a great thing to do!

Sandy
Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 AM

An avid reader, we also suggested that people "buy a book" for a child by donating to their library in memory of mom. She loved to read and even had worked at our library. She would have loved this idea.

Sandy