Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cathedral Window-Join the Journey

Blog Entries
    Absolutely beautiful I love the blue and the thread contrast! I have made my first CW quilt (small) and now got all my muslin cut for a king size one. I seem to run into some issues but the more blocks I do finding it to be easier or hope lol! My first one was to see if I could even do one, I enjoyed the process so decided to make a second but my issue I am having is I really don't like the look of the blocks I have made (scrappy) compared to the look of using one fabric. Any suggestions or ideas on what others like?Name:  IMG-20111102-00359.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  144.6 KBName:  IMG-20111111-00422.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  100.6 KB. The first picture was my first attempt the second picture is the one I ? About. Thanks you

I love the Cathedral Window and yours is awesome...good job..
    We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give....

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaPendino View Post
    I will break things down for you so it won't seem so daunting. Therefore there will be several posts by me:
    1. Materials Needed: Cutting board, Rotary Cutter, Needle threader (if you are blind as a bat like me ), Needle, Pins, Thread (I use Coats & Clark Dual Duty), Ruler (I use a 9.5 inch square & a smaller one), Seam Allowance Gauge (not required, but I have found it makes it much easier) Iron, Ironing board, Sewing Machine (not required), Solid Material, Print Material.

2. About Material: Traditionally Muslin was used for the solid (which is cheaper) but you can use cotton if you would like. In addition in a traditional CW quilt, the print fabric was from different scraps that were left over from other projects.
    What I am using: Unbleached Muslin and one type of print.
    With the muslin, you can hold it up to a window or light and it has a stained glass effect. It is really neat.

3. How Much Material?: This will depend on what you are wanting to make. Ex: just a block, pillow case, table runner, quilt. I will give you the approximate amount for quilt sizes.
    Crib (45" X 60") 9 yards Solid Color
    Twin (60" x 96") 19 yards Solid Color
    Double (75" x 96") 22 yards Solid Color
    Queen (80" x 100") 25 yards Solid Color
    King (100" x 100") 30 yards Solid Color

4. Sizes to cut? Solid you will cut 9 1/2 inch squares
    (you will need 4 to make one block unit)
    Print: 2 1/2 inch squares. (you will need 4 to make one block unit)
    i would love to join in but i dont have anywhere near the yds for just the one color. i am going to bookmark this and see what happens along the way. so nice of you to do this for the board. i guess i could use what i have right now and get the hang of it. sending you a pm
    Last edited by hspirit_99; 11-11-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    It is absolutely stunning!!!! Are you referring to the look of your fabric choice or sewing results? If it's fabric, I think this is gorgeous, but you are the one who needs to be happy with it. Your color choices go together very well. Another words, it looks coordinated instead of extreme random scrappy (which also looks good) It is all a matter of preference. I searched through CW images here on the forums and google images to see what others had come up with. Then I "simmered" on my creativity for a bit before I made up my mind. Also, might want to make a few blocks and just lay out your print on them before sewing in to see how it would look without committing to a specific choice at that point.

If you are referring to unhappy with your sewing, I think it looks awesome. I will advise you of what one had told me when I was being so critical of myself... you are looking at it up close & personal so you are going to catch every imperfection. But when one is looking from a distance, they can't see them at all. What I find that has helped when sewing down my "frames" is after I fold them over the print, I press them with iron to help keep them in place and crisp before I sew.

Congrats on getting all of your fabric cut! I cut enough for about 8 or 12 blocks at a time. Thus far, I have sewn 24 blocks (2 rows across) for a King. I have cut, folded & pressed enough for 12 blocks. I go on binges where I do enough for quite a few blocks, then back up and start sewing those before I go any farther. I work in 4 block units so I feel like I'm making progress, lol.

A friend of mine is also making a King and we try to keep up with each other in order to keep pushing forward. You are welcomed to do this with us if you would like. Just let me know. I hope my input has helped.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hspirit_99 View Post
    i would love to join in but i dont have anywhere near the yds for just the one color. i am going to bookmark this and see what happens along the way. so nice of you to do this for the board. i guess i could use what i have right now and get the hang of it. sending you a pm
    I so understand about the yardage. I have found that the above estimate is incorrect for a King. My King will be 108x108 and feel it will be close to 50-55 yards by my calculations. There is no way I could afford cotton fabric for this. I love the look of the muslin & it is much cheaper at $1.99/yd. When you make these blocks & hold them up to the window or light, it has the neatest illusion! I would use what fabric you have to learn the block, maybe do a table runner or small pillow to see what you think. Takes 8 blocks for a pillow. (2 - 4block units)

Would love to see what you come up with. I will be glad to help in any way I can.
    BTW: you are more than welcome. I should of put this thread in the tutorials but the tut was an afterthought.

wow...nice job...I might think about job this journey, if I can squeeze one more thing on my plate....I will
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

About 15 years ago I made a CW, every window is a different pattern. I made it for my daughters twin bed,
    then added more for a double, then queen. I got a lot of the window pieces through my friends.. By the way
    it is now in my closet. It did take me at least 15 years to get to the queen size. The local paper had a article
    about the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota gal View Post
    About 15 years ago I made a CW, every window is a different pattern. I made it for my daughters twin bed, then added more for a double, then queen. I got a lot of the window pieces through my friends.. By the way it is now in my closet. It did take me at least 15 years to get to the queen size. The local paper had a article about the quilt.
    Ok stop teasing us...pull that quilt out of the closet and post a pic. Would love to see it puleeeease.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    @dakota gal..... I'm with Fraew, would love to see! Congrats on your accomplishment. I bet it is gorgeous!
    https://www.facebook.com/thelumbertoncottage/
    "If there is a will, there is a way" they say.

Blog Entries
    Name:  IMG-20111114-00429.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  77.0 KB. Instead of the scrappy went with the green.

Blog Entries
    @Carla79... LOVE IT!!! Very cheery! In response to your PM about getting the center to line up: It's a matter of keeping it pressed/ironed through the process and proper pinning. I had problems with that at first, too. Let me see if I can explain itt. If this doesn't come out right, PM me, lol. I will put it here in case others are have a similar question about
    lining up.

You have 2 small sewn together and your window in, and then 2 more sewn together with your window in. At this point
    you have 2 separate pieces. Put right sides together so your window print is not seen from either side, and now will have 2 arrow like pieces straight up...Press with iron the arrow crease, when you pin those together to sew them, start withlining up where the windows meet in the middle first & pin. If this isn't making since, let me know & I will get a picture up. Also, if you are working w/muslin, press, don't iron back and forth. You would be surprised of how much that motion throws your measurements off.

When they get the "groups" working, I plan to start one for Cathedral Window so all those in the process of working on one can gather in one place. In the meantime, we will continue on this thread.

Blog Entries
    I would like to follow this thread, even though I can not start one right now, too much on my plate.

Blog Entries
    @grammy of 6 We would LOVE to have you! Please stop in for a visit anytime. Everyone's input is always welcomed, too When the group thing becomes available. It will be open so anyone with any interest can feel free to pull up a chair and visit a while. I have no idea how the group
    thing works yet. Hopefully it will allow topics regarding CW to be a bit more organized. Like for example, the how to's in one place, fabric choices in another, etc. (((hugs)))
    Last edited by TeresaPendino; 11-14-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much!

My very first Quilt was a CW I have not Finished it yet ( I rely need to get it out and finish it) I've made lots of other Quilts and finished them

Blog Entries
    @mary quilting Come on, go get it out! We wanna see! Please... You know how we all thrive to see pictures... so this will be your reason to pick it back up. (((giggle)))
    Last edited by TeresaPendino; 11-14-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Good morning to all (raising cup of coffee). Just wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing. Any new CW projects in the works? Would love to see pics! Mine is slowly coming along. I haven't been able to devote as much time as I would like to it.

I had found a unique twist to the CW Christmas ornament that I thought I would share. http://lynbrown.com/three-d-cathedral-window-ornament/ Here is the instructions for it: http://lynbrown.com/wp-content/uploa...ndow-Ornie.pdf I have yet to attempt it, though. I don't have any Christmas fabric on hand.

Just wanted to let you know that you inspired me to start a CW. I am doing the Eddie method but using the machine for the first part and hand sewing the flaps together (I do use double thread because I want this to stay together) and hand sewing the windows in with a blind stitich. I am thinking that this will take me a long time to do but will be worth it. (My grown up son was visiting and saw what I was sewing and thought it was just beautiful! He usually pays no attention.)

Unfortunately I have now hurt my sewing hand (left) and cannot do any sewing. But I will keep reading this for hints.

Red face My cathedral window in progress.

I have been working on a cathedral window for 1 1/2 years. My windows start as 8". I work on it at the doctor's office or when I am waiting for a meeting or such. I am ready to attach 3 more segments. I do the back ground by machine and hand stitch the points down and the windows. I do it differently than the tute you gave. Mine are done starting with a square, folding it in half, then stitching down both ends, like Eddie's tute. I do sections with 3 across and 3 down. This makes a total of 12 windows. Then when I join the finished windows, I have more unfinished windows that I have to complete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    @sewmary Thank you for the compliment. It is time consuming but well worth the rewards. Sorry to hear about your hand… I hope you have a speedy recovery.. the trick is to behave & not use it so you will mend faster. lol Would love to see your fabric choices!

@ssnare Absolutely gorgeous fabric choices! I have been working on mine for about 5 months. Currently at 108" x 18". Geeze, when I look at it like that…. I have a long way to go! lol Thank you so much for sharing your pics! Please keep in touch and let us know how you are progressing!

I loved Eddie's Tut, too. The method I am using is a bit easier for me, but that is just me. I am a hand sewer because I am not very proficient on a machine. Having vision issues (20/80 corrected) tends to also cause me to be slow on my stitches. With that being said, I always find a way to work around it and accomplish what I set out to do.

Blog Entries
    I have never done a CW . does it have to be done by hand? Can you post Pics? thank you
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Blog Entries

Tutorial Links & Progress

Here is the link to Eddie's tutorial which is done by machine http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...al-t35742.html

Here is another link to a different method, also done mostly by machine http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot....-tutorial.html

The picture with the 4 units together is my intended layout. It is units broken up with muslin.
    The 6 units together lengthwise is my current progress. (108" x 18")
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    oh very pretty blocks and quilts Teresa thank you for tutorial
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    its beautiful and I love the fabrics you used!
    True friends are like diamonds
    They are precious and rare.

Blog Entries
    I don't have the time to do it the long way. DD and I are making a mock CW quilt using this technique. She's using a plan color scheme I'm doing mine scrappy. She using the Go 6" circle die and I'm using the 4" circle.
    http://sunshinescreations.vintagethr...l-windows.html
    Got fabric?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast