Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cathedral Window-Join the Journey

Blog Entries
    Name:  IMG-20111127-00494.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  98.6 KBName:  IMG-20111127-00494.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  98.6 KB. My progress thus far not anywhere as close as you. On my way though lol. I have about 32 or so of this size completed and working on the rest then I will start joining them together. Looking at yours I wished I would have used a blue I love it.

Blog Entries
    @Carla79 Absolutely gorgeous! I love your color choice because it will brighten up any room you have the quilt in! Perfect for when winter sets in which is usually a dreary time of year for some. The reason I chose the blue was because it is the same shade of blue my bedroom drapes are. Trust me, you will move right along if you are joining by machine. My machine and I had a major battle yesterday & I lost. I have come to the realization that I am strictly a hand sewer. I don't foresee me ever bringing the machine back out for any project, lol. I usually go on a fold/iron marathon and do enough for 6 of the same size as your picture. Then I stop and put them all together & add windows. I have to see progress or I get in a slump. My end of the week will be super busy so I don't imagine I will have much time to work on mine for a few days.
    Last edited by TeresaPendino; 11-29-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/thelumbertoncottage/
    "If there is a will, there is a way" they say.

@TeresaPendino - my vision also! That is why it is much easier for me to do the windows by hand and not try to see down that little line!

This is just the gentle nudge I need, count me in. I have finished a CW and love it so much thought a matching one would look nice in the front guest room, I have been intending to start it for a long while and this will get me going. I use a different method however think that TeresaPendino has about the quickest and easiest method. Three projects to finish by Monday and then I will start. I will post pics in a few days. Will be hand stitching mine. Look forward to where this leads.
    Merivale
    Australia.

Blog Entries
    @nellie & @blahel Thank you ladies! It was so hard to choose my print. Like Carla79, I would look at others after the fact and keep wishing I had chosen this or that, lol. Finally, I decided on the blue to match those drapes I had mentioned early. I figured it would be a safe bet. I have seen so many beautiful fabrics that others have chosen. Y'all are more than welcome for the tut. I just hope it is clear to understand. There are so many ways to do it, but this one was the one I found the easiest for me, especially being I am doing all by hand.

@BellaBoo I would love to try your mock CW method with some denim! You have gotten my creativity sparked again! I'm sure all of us would agree that we would love to see pictures as y'all progress… pretty please!

@sewmary I am blind as a bat! (20/80 corrected) I am not a surgery candidate & they tell me there is nothing else they can do. I am thankful every day for the vision I do have. Hubby went and got me a pair of those x3 magnification glasses so I can see my stitches. It has made this undertaking so much easier and pleasant for me. He is wonderful about finding ways to help me. He knows how determined I am to not let my vision hinder me. As far as my machine… I just am not meant to operate machinery, lol.

@Merivale We are so happy we helped nudge you over the edge! Wow, finishing 3 projects by Monday.. an undertaking for sure. Can't wait to see pics and hear what you came up with for fabric choices….

I look forward to hearing from you all! Huge (((hugs)))

Blog Entries
    Thanks! I used the machine to do the turning of the squares then I do all the rest by hand. I actually am beg. To think that the all hand and ironing is easier and more accurate then the outcome of the machine. I seemed to get my squares more square then I am doing the first steps on the machine. But to late now to turn back so I am crossing my fingers lol.

My favorite color! You can send it my way when you're done, lol! Beautiful : ) I will get brave enough to do one of these someday.

Blog Entries
    I wanted to stop in and touch base with everyone; hoping all had a wonderful Christmas and safe New Year. Is normalcy back in the house yet? lol I am in the middle of trying to do a cleaning overhaul so I can get back to my CW. One room at a time is my goal. It may seem ridiculous, but I feel guilty at times working on my quilt knowing I have this and that that needs to be done. I am determined to finish this CW this year! I believe I only have enough muslin to get half done but do not plan to reorder until I get there. By my calculations, it will take a total of 60yrds for a 108"x108". I wish now that I would of made it a twin size and just made it grow from there. Instead, I went the long way and it is the 108" wide right off the bat. I don't foresee it looking right if I go less than 108" the other direction.
    Last edited by TeresaPendino; 01-04-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Happy New Year Teresa! You know I want to see a picture of your progress...love to ooooh and aaaaah.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    @Fraew My current progress photos are on page 8 of this thread. Unfortunately, I haven't moved forward anymore as far as sewing together. I have enough cut/fold/ironed to do another section the size of the top photo in that post. (108" wide x 18" long) I can't wait to get back to it; the holidays brought me to a screeching halt. Hopefully, I can get some accomplished over the weekend. I'm going to have to have a look see at what you might be working on so I can "oooooohhh ahhhh" too, lol.

Blog Entries
    I currently am joining my rows together finally! I have 2 rows joined and working on 3rd. Would post pictures but can't find where to add them now that its changed.

Blog Entries
    I have a ? for those of you who have completed a CW… when you bring the corners to the center in the first fold, should I tack those together like criss cross style? I also have not been sewing my seam allowances. My concern is by not sewing the seam allowances or tacking that part down that it will be an issue of bunching or raveling after washing. I have started tacking, but time consuming so wondering if it is necessary. Not sure if my ?s are clear.. my apologies. This is the tut I have been using for the most part. http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot....-tutorial.html and I am using Muslin. I did not prewash as I am looking for a certain look afterwards. Thanks in advance for your input.

Blog Entries
    I was asked for an updated progress pic so once I got to a stopping point, I took one for all of you. I have 11 "units" complete and 25 to go. I suppose I am about 1/3 complete. Currently measuring about 104" x 36" Experiencing some shrinkage as I go but that is ok. I expected it. I would love to see where all of you are! Please post photos! We all love photos! lol

I would be moving faster on this but had to put it down for a while because 2 other non quilting projects had to take priority. Both of those are in progress as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I recently started one, as a hand-work project for down times and airplanes. It's going to be scrappy, in bright tone-on-tones. Here's an early picture, although I have more done now (I think it's about 4x8 - so still an infant). I'll post a pic later, when I'm near the project.

Name:  P2080093.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  17.5 KB

I'm working on one that I use as my "take along" project. I had an entire bolt of a yellow print that I had no idea what to do with so I'm using it for the background and scraps for the windows. I'll probably finish it in 2020 but it's great to have on standby and to relax with in front of the TV.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work all!
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    I love all the different CW posted! Beautiful, would join you but my plate is full! Will have to be satisfied with living vicariously through you all
    http://babyfire04.blogspot.com/
    If it makes you happy, it's worth the time!

I'd love to join but if there's a bright shiney object or new quilt technique that catches my eye I'm outta here. You can only imagine my stack of UFO's. Oldest is a handquilted queen size that is 85% done from 1989. Get the picture? LOL Have fun!
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Blog Entries

Cw progress

It has been a while since I have updated. I have 11 out of 36 (units) complete and together. This has been hibernating for a while being I had a couple of other projects that had to take priority. I am having second thoughts on how I did things. I have only tacked my corners of the windows and did not go all the way through. With that said, now I am questioning durability. (visualizing something getting caught in the "pockets" and pulling them loose). As much as it makes me cringe to have to go back, I am considering going over the windows to go all the way through. On a positive note, I do have all of the base squares cut to complete the whole King size. Wished I could say I had them all folded and ironed, lol.
    Last edited by TeresaPendino; 07-25-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Adding photo

I will join in!! I started one 5 years ago, when i won a trip to fly to Florida to the Daytona 500 and wanted a hand sewing project to take along with me.

My colored squares are from a lot of my guild friends, although I am not bothered if there is a duplicate or 2. In the end, mine will be queen size.

Faye

Blog Entries
    @scrappingfaye38: What an exciting trip you must of had! We look forward to seeing and hearing about your progress. At times, I find myself needing motivation to keep moving forward, lol.

It's lookin' good!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    I would look for a really lightweight shirting denim. The combination of folds etc. would make heavier denim unworkable in MHO (my humble opinion)
    Quote Originally Posted by blahel View Post
    what a great idea as I have been thinking of making a cathedral window for a while...my question would be this: I would like to make a handbag (or purse I think you call it) and use the cathedral window blocks in it. Would denim be too heavy a material to sew through? I have a blue batik with fish on it which I know my friend would love but have nothing else but denim to go with it.

Eddie's tutorial on this board is a very good one to use.

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I am here...no two same centers and working on the next block now. Yours are so much neater!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast