Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cathedral Window-Join the Journey

Blog Entries
    As promised, here I am. I will forewarn you that I was having issues w/my machine but went ahead and got the shots in case any have been waiting. I am very critical of what my end product looks like so not sure this one will be a keeper. We will see.

Pin & Sew 1: Put 2 blocks side by side, take the wing from each one that are next to each other & pin. Do the same for the next 2 blocks.

Lift them up & lay back down to where it looks like 2 arrows laying there.

Sew together as you follow the fold line on the wings that are pointed outward. This can be done by machine or hand.

Please let me know if this doesn't make since.

1st wing pin
    Name:  Attachment-219209.jpe
Views: 313
Size:  28.5 KB

1st wing sew
    Name:  Attachment-219210.jpe
Views: 329
Size:  30.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Once sewn together. Remove pins, open them back up, finger pressing open what you just sewed. Lay back together like it was a finished block.

Pin and Sew 2: Do the remaining inner wings the same as above. Once pinned, lay them as to have 2 arrows. Sew down both arrows following the fold line. (machine or hand)

See photos for better understanding. Again, feel free to PM me or ask here on the thread if these instructions are not clear.

2nd Wing Pin
    Name:  Attachment-219211.jpe
Views: 323
Size:  27.8 KB

2nd Wing Sew
    Name:  Attachment-219212.jpe
Views: 320
Size:  28.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Remove pins & open these back up, finger pressing open what you just sewed. All 4 of your squares should be connected at this point. Press with steam. Pin your outside corners as shown in the photo.

I hope to get started on the "windows" tomorrow for you. Apologies for spreading this out time wise. I am having to fit my play time in my busy schedule. Until then, Happy Sewing :)

Press
    Name:  Attachment-219215.jpe
Views: 326
Size:  25.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Your 4 corners should be pinned at this point. You should have 4 "window panes" in the center.
    Tack & Pin Some of your corners on your panes will be loose.

1.Tack these loose corners down.

2.Place your print squares in the center of each pane & pin.

3.On each side of a print, fold the pane over & pin all the way around your print square. Pinning only through the part you folded over your print. The pane will taper itself at the corners. (See photo) Remove the initial center pin once you have all 4 sides of the panes pinned.

4. Do your stitching at the edge of your pane (solid) all the way around your print... only going through the layer that you pinned to your print & your print. (See photo for clarification)

Your block is complete. Make more blocks just like this one. Take out the block corner pins & attach in the same manner that you attached the 4 initial 4.5" blocks. Add print the same way as the initial blocks to create more "windows"

I hope you have found this easy. If you have any problems, feel free to ask. There are other great tutorials & different methods to do this on the boards. I am a beginner, as you can see from my photos, but I still felt accomplished. :) The more that I do, the better they will look I'm sure. As I might have mentioned earlier, I was a bit reluctant to do this tutorial. There are so many talented & knowledgable people here. Their work looks like perfection in my opinion. I just wanted to show other beginners that a fellow beginner can do this.:)

Tack & PIn
    Name:  Attachment-219588.jpe
Views: 312
Size:  48.8 KB

Finished CW block
    Name:  Attachment-219589.jpe
Views: 319
Size:  35.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blahel
    what a great idea as I have been thinking of making a cathedral window for a while...my question would be this: I would like to make a handbag (or purse I think you call it) and use the cathedral window blocks in it. Would denim be too heavy a material to sew through? I have a blue batik with fish on it which I know my friend would love but have nothing else but denim to go with it.
    I'm pretty sure it would be too heavy as well, but I found this pattern which would give you the CW look and is made from jeans. I started cutting pieces for this but ran out of jeans and sewing machine needles. I want to do this so I'll get back to it eventually!

http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahrachel
    Quote Originally Posted by blahel
    what a great idea as I have been thinking of making a cathedral window for a while...my question would be this: I would like to make a handbag (or purse I think you call it) and use the cathedral window blocks in it. Would denim be too heavy a material to sew through? I have a blue batik with fish on it which I know my friend would love but have nothing else but denim to go with it.
    I'm pretty sure it would be too heavy as well, but I found this pattern which would give you the CW look and is made from jeans. I started cutting pieces for this but ran out of jeans and sewing machine needles. I want to do this so I'll get back to it eventually!

http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html
    thanks for that idea sararachel I had seen that before but forgot about it..the more I think about it the more I think denim will be too thick to try and sew through to make the cathedral windows so I am still looking through my fabrics to see what would look good. Hoping to maybe start on Monday to sew if I can decide.. on what fabrics to use....I forgot to mention I like your color choices Teresapendino. Also looking forward to seeing what others create...

Blog Entries
    Please forgive the photo quality. Bad lighting and I wasn't using my good camera. I also cropped too much on the left, but those are whole windows, too. I was trying to hurry up and get it done before company arrived. Just wanted to give you an idea of how it looks when you put the blocks together.

Happy Quilting to you all :)

4 blocks together.
    Name:  Attachment-220586.jpe
Views: 291
Size:  91.8 KB

Blog Entries
    those are really pretty. Did you use lace around the windows; it looks like it. If not I think that would be a great idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by romanojg
    those are really pretty. Did you use lace around the windows; it looks like it. If not I think that would be a great idea.
    Thanks! Was reluctant to share due to me being a super beginner even on the sewing talent :) No lace, probably just poor photo quality. I used contrasting thread color for interest :) Did a basic running stitch. I love the lace idea, though!

How has everyone been? Anxious to hear and/or see your ideas! It seems like the more I try to set time aside to work on my project, something always comes up. Therefore, it has been slow progress on my end. I imagine it is that way with most. :)

This is almost more than I can bear. I have 2 quilts I need to finish before I start one of these.

I love the running stitch in the contrasting color. It really does make it look lacy and ultra feminine.

Every CW tutorial I look at gives me another great idea. I can't wait to get started, but it will be a month or so.

Thanks so much to you and Eddie and everyone who has posted pictures and added bits of info. I'm pretty sure I can screw it up, but it will be nobody's fault but my own.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaPendino
    Quote Originally Posted by romanojg

How has everyone been? Anxious to hear and/or see your ideas! It seems like the more I try to set time aside to work on my project, something always comes up. Therefore, it has been slow progress on my end. I imagine it is that way with most. :)
    I love your fabric choices for your cathedral window. Unfortunately I havent had a chance to start mine as the day I planned to sew a friend I dont see often rang and wanted to catch up. Not sure when I will be able to start now :-( but when I have some progress i will let you know!

Blog Entries
    My machine is evil! I had to take it apart. Thought i'd stop in here a minute before I attempt to put it back together. Might have to get my 15 yr old son to help me out. He is the more mechanically inclined one, lol.

I am just about to put my 2nd 4 block unit together. Have figured out another tip to share. When you are at the point of pinning your pane over the sides of your print, take your finger and fold your pane over and press. It makes it easier to keep it in place to the point that I am only pinning the print instead of the panes. I am able to hold the fold over part in place as I hand stitch the window.

Random thought: My creativity is flowing. I was thinking of putting a blue border around my 4 block units to help them stand out. Here is the problem: I wouldn't know where to start. I hadn't planned on adding batting & backing. Any thoughts or advice on this delima would be appreciated. :)

@BigDog & blahel: thank you both so much and you are more than welcome for the tut. I hope it has been easy to understand :)

Blog Entries
    you can just use the batting on w/the sashes. I did that with a quilt as you go and even finished it off with decorative stitches on top so that I didn't have to do any handwork.

Random thought: My creativity is flowing. I was thinking of putting a blue border around my 4 block units to help them stand out. Here is the problem: I wouldn't know where to start. I hadn't planned on adding batting & backing. Any thoughts or advice on this delima would be appreciated. :)
    Since I've never made a CW, take this with a big grain of salt:

What I've read is you don't use batting or backing. You already have 4 layers of fabric, which should be thick enough for warmth. Somewhere, maybe here, I've read you can sew your "glass" (print fabric) to a slightly smaller piece of batting or fleece if you want extra warmth or if you want to add a slightly poofy dimension.

As far as adding a border to each 4 piece, it would add color but I think it would take something away from the beauty of the individual panes. That's strictly my opinion. If you decide to do that, please post a picture. I would love to see one done that way.

Blog Entries
    Question for anyone who is "in the know"... I ended up having to completely hand sew my blocks together. I am using Coats & Clark® Dual Duty Hand Quilting thread and back stitching. Should I be doubling my thread?
    For those wondering what happened w/my machine... I need to get some more needles. I have found that my work looks much straighter when doing it all by hand, though, lol. Machine and I aren't a good pair being I have a lot to learn about machine sewing. I can control things better by hand. Thinking I might continue all by hand even once I get my machine needles.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Thanks any advance to anyone with an answer to this thread doubling question. :)

I do have a goal to sew on of these, but at the moment I have my hands full with finishing quilts and making baby stuff for my niece.

I will have to get in on one of the future rounds, but I look forward to seeing everyone's efforts. :)

Is it hard by hand?? I'm thinking of making 3 for a shoulder wrap thing for my uncle who's a steelers fan, and the diamonds I think would be perfect. Are you still sewing them like you did on the machine or are you doing it the traditional way?

Blog Entries
    @redkimba Thanks for stopping in for a visit! I have so many projects I need to work on, too. :)

@sarahrachel Being I need more machine needles, I started doing all of it by hand. In my opinion, I don't think it's hard, just more time consuming. I love your idea! Would love to see it if you decide to make it!

At this point, I am wondering if I need to be doubling this thread when putting the blocks together. It is a lot of work for it to end up not being strong enough. I live an hour away from my nearest place to get the thread I use. So I don't want to double thread if I don't need to.

I hand quilted a quilt already and I only used a single thread, using the same thread you are. I don't think you'd need to double up as it's a thicker thread. And I think I might go through with it as I'd only need to make 3 blocks, and I'm in the same boat as you, but I think my machine broke (yikes!) and as it's a Bernina, I think it'll be expensive to fix. Good luck and I know it'll look pretty when you're done!

Blog Entries
    Please forgive the photo quality. Bad lighting and I wasn't using my good camera. I also cropped too much on the left, but those are whole windows, too. I was trying to hurry up and get it done before company arrived. Just wanted to give you an idea of how it looks when you put the blocks together.

Happy Quilting to you all :)
    Beautiful!!! So tempted to jump right in but I must finish at least 1 more UFO before I start this one. Would love to see the latest pictures and others from the group. Thanks

Blog Entries
    @Fraew Thank you! Sad to say I have only gotten 3 (4 block) units done, almost ready to put the 4th together. The domino effect has hindered my progress from my A/C being out in this part of the house for 2 weeks, washing machine being out for 2 weeks (part finally came in today!), super busy trying to get my boys back into school and my oldest situated in college. Oh, and let's not forget my sewing machine has issues, lol. Have decided to hand sew all of it so the progress will be slower. I am shooting for either this weekend or Monday to get back to it.

Like you, I would love to see what anyone else has come up with!

Blog Entries
    I thought I would share my progress, as well as, get your layout opinion. If I do the entire thing with blue print windows, it is hard on my eyes; too busy for me. So my thinking was to break it up and put Muslin in some windows while still using the contrasting thread color for interest. In this photo, the windows aren't completely finished. I would like your opinion before I "commit" myself to this idea. Please keep in mind, this is far from perfection. I am having trouble getting crisp corners on my windows even though I am constantly pressing as I go. I have more blocks done that I haven't added. (24 done all together).
    This photo is 4 (4-block units). I thank each and every one of you in advance for your input!

4 (4 Block Units) Together
    Name:  Attachment-267893.jpe
Views: 225
Size:  93.5 KB

My favorite quilt design, will have to try some blocks & see how I like your methods!

Blog Entries
    It looks beautiful as is or all blue windows. I am no help at all and would prefer all blue but if it''s too busy up close then yes break it up.

I think it is beautiful. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast