Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Causes of thread shredding >

Causes of thread shredding

Causes of thread shredding

Old 10-18-2019, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

Sewer's Aid is 100% silicone. It will tame unruly hair and make it shine too. Put a couple of drops in your hand and run it through through your hair. I use it to polish my machine bed and my sewing table top when machine quilting It's great for the extension tables. I have used it for years.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=AprilM;8314679]Not a silly question at all - i had to ask too! This particular thread is kinda shiny and i have found that it unwinds from the spool faster than say a cotton thread (if that makes sense). I have found that the net keeps the unwinding a little more controlled without adding drag. For me no more shredding and i have zero tension issues with the net as opposed to without it. Here is what the net looks like. Hopefully my photos post right side up!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618681[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]618682[/ATTACH][/QUO
TE]

Thanks! Very helpful!!
Old 10-18-2019, 04:22 AM

Mine did that and I tried everything and then checked the bobbin area and it was full of lint. I cleaned it and had no more problem. It is funny that some of the smallest things can set a machine off.
Lynda
Old 10-18-2019, 07:11 AM

did you get the new needle from the same package as the old one? Could be a defective batch. Also, change thread (on a practice bit or out in the border) just to check if it could be a thread issue.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by hray View Post
Not a long-arm story, but recently I was doing free-standing lace embroidery and thought my machine needed service, or even replacing. Thread was shredding every couple hundred stitches, and I had a dozen leaves to make at about 12000 stitches each! I did all the usual stuff—changing needle, adjusting tension, running some monofilament through to see if anything was caught in the system—and still had shredding.

I then tried putting a thin line of Sewer’s Aid—the silicon stuff in the little plastic bottle—along the thread on the spool. Problem solved! Worth a try, maybe.
Great tip.. Recently I, too, was almost finished with a project and it suddenly shredded the thread twice in a row. Finally got it worked out but this tip might have been faster if I'd known. I've never had to use silicone or any additive for thread. I will remember this. Thanks.
Laughed when I saw that she turned her machine off and went to eat. When she came back it worked fine!
Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 AM

Regarding the silicone - that really helps! A lot of times if i know ahead what thread i want to use, i will spray the heck out of it with silicone spray and they seal it up overnight in a small ziplock bag. A friend of mine with a longarm gave me that tip many years ago when i was having difficulty doing FMQ on my domestic machine with certain threads. Now that i have a sitdown setup i continue to keep the silicone spray handy - for thread and to prep the area to make it smooth for quilting as someone else just mentioned.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Sewer's Aid is 100% silicone. It will tame unruly hair and make it shine too. Put a couple of drops in your hand and run it through through your hair. I use it to polish my machine bed and my sewing table top when machine quilting It's great for the extension tables. I have used it for years.
Thank you, very much for the 100% silicone reference. I had gotten the SDS for Sewer's Aid a couple of years ago, while I was having trouble finding it locally. I was able to find https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lu...6104/304634062 which has the same CAS # as Sewer's Aid. Super Lube also has some other products with added ingredients, but the one I linked to only has the silicone oil. I called my local HD and ordered some to be delivered to the store (so I don't have to pay shipping, lol). I will have to wait to refill my Sewer's Aid.

I also read that it is a good lubricant for plastic and rubber. Which I think would be good for my plastic knitting machines.

Thank you, again.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-18-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site link
Old 10-19-2019, 09:02 AM

I got some Sewer's Aid yesterday at JoAnns. It was $6.99 for .05 oz but I paid 1/2 off for $3.50. I do remember the lady I bought my machine from said something about a silicone lubricant. This is what she did. Do you see that small rectangle of brown felt she glued to machine? She said she drops a few drops of oil onto that felt and as the thread passes, it gets lubricated. I had forgotten this, until I had this problem and all of you started talking about silicone. Thanks for this Quilting Board and all of you![ATTACH=CONFIG]618728[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2797-qb-web.jpg  
Old 10-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I dip most all my thread in mineral oil to cover and let drain. This is a Sharon Schamber must do. If you don't know who Sharon Schamber is, just know her quilts win in every show she enters. https://www.pinterest.com/creativefo...aron-schamber/
Old 10-19-2019, 08:52 PM

I'm glad you got it working. I fought my longarm a month on thread breaks. Did everything. I use thread conditioner, and nets, went through many new needles thinking they might be defective, checked timing, tension, everything. Checked the entire thing for a burr somewhere. Finally took off the last thread guide and it started working fine. There does not seem to be anything at all wrong with that guide, but i have ordered a new one anyway.