Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charm Packs -- watch out! >

Charm Packs -- watch out!

Charm Packs -- watch out!

Old 05-03-2014, 12:40 PM

Whenever I buy charm packs, I like only about half of them. The rest are just meh...
That is when I use them in D9P as the center square so that they get cut in fourths :-)
Old 05-03-2014, 12:54 PM

Yes, you have to watch the fine print - usually when the price is unusually low - there is a reason. I have purchased many pre-cuts I love them but some of the manufacturers do not include 40 or 42 pieces - you live and learn - that said I still love pre-cuts and will continue to purchase and use them.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
Reading the fine print......NEW CONCEPT!!!! LOL LOL I know, I get caught so many times!!!!! I consoled myself.....went to town and bought more fabric. win-win!!!!
Great way to console your self!!

Dina
Old 05-03-2014, 01:06 PM

I know how disappointing that is because I've done it. I've always read closely on Missouri Star Quilt Co.'s description on each of their charm packs. They also have some that do not have 40 charms.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:21 AM

The answer is, more or less, yes. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is one of those half the fun for a bit more than half the price. You can buy charm packs and jelly rolls at some Big Lots too, but the same thing applies, there are only about half the contents that the quilt shop packs contain. Some of them list on the label how many are contained therein, in very tiny print.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:35 AM

My lesson learned too........ordered what I thought was a great price for charm pack at MSQC......bought two....ended up with mini charms-----2 1/2" squares...my fault, brain did not register the word mini, just saw $$$$. Will add them to my leaders and enders pile........or hexie stack.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:46 AM

Connecting Threads will tell you in the description how many charms or strips are in the pack, and it is generally one of each color/print in that collection. And they are priced accordingly according to the actual amount of yardage that adds up to. So the prices for a charm collection or stip set vary between each fabric collection. CT's prices are so reasonable that you can order several collections to get enough for your project and still be less than what you'd pay most other places.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:05 AM

Yes unfortunately you have to check the fine print. The numbers do vary. I bought some Kaffe Fasset jelly rolls. There were only 32 fabrics. Also they were cut with a pinking shear and every strip was about 1/4 too narrow. More like 2 1/4" than the 2 1/2 they were supposed to be. Luckily the pattern I was using it worked out ok until I tried to add some strips I cut myself. I had to trim them all down to make them work.
I also agree that I often only like about half of the fabrics in a pre-cut pack. I rarely buy them.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
pre-cuts are evil. just kidding ;-)
I agree with DebraK. I am always watching what is for sale on eBay. There are now what are called Jr jelly rolls which contain 20 strips. You can't assume anything anymore. I always read the fine print. Don't assume ANYTHING now a days.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
That would have been so dissappointing for you amandasgramma! I don't buy precuts much either but have bought them once from Connecting Threads. The ones I bought only had 20 charm squares per pack so I had to buy quite a few to make a quilt. It seems on CT site the charm packs contain the number of fabrics there are in that particular collection, so they are all different. ( but they tell you quite clearly in their ad the number you get) Well, have fun sewing up the ones you got!
I haven't double checked it in awhile but the last time I did, the CT charms and jelly rolls come out to be the same price as their yardage ... not something you see with most precuts. If you calculate the yardage in a pack of precuts from most places, they are almost always more expensive than if you purchased yardage and cut your own. Their jelly rolls are usually only about half what you would get in a regular one but the price is definitely right and I don't always want a full jelly roll.

If I want charms or jellies all of the same fabric, I use my June Taylor Shape Cut and cut my own.