Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charm Packs -- watch out! >

Charm Packs -- watch out!

Charm Packs -- watch out!

Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
I have a question here. What if some of the blocks in a charm pack are not square? Actually I ordered several from a respectable company and there are some squares that are not all there. It is difficult to explain, but it seems as if the cloth was not fully under the blade so that the pieces are only partially there. Should I return that set or just deal with it?
That happened to me too, only with a 2 1/2" strips from Timeless Treasures. I contacted Timeless Treasures via the internet contact info. I sent a picture of it on my cutting mat with measuring lines visible to show them exactly what I was talking about and was compensated with more than a replacement. Unfortunately it took awhile as I had to wait for the next printing, but it was definitely worth it, as I needed every strip for the quilt I was making and they were batiks. My strips must have been where two bolts were basted together, prior to cutting. The basting lines were still in it, strips overlapped, so when cut had partial strips with the basting in the middle. Good luck. Most manufacturers want to have satisfied buyers, that will be repeat customers.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Contents vary on precuts. All I have ordered has the amount in the description.
all I've ever bought/ordered have either shown the fabrics included or had a description of what was in the pack...the only problem I have had with precuts is that the 5" squares...weren't 5" squares...talk about a headache!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:31 AM

When I buy charm packs on the Internet, I always look at the patterns of each and see how many there are and how many prints of each fabric. Sometimes they may have 20 charms but only 10 prints. I really enjoy having as many prints as possible in a charm pack.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 AM

Yes I learned the hard way too! The same thing is happening in all parts of our consumer world. The price is the same or higher but the packaging is smaller! I bought some jelly rolls that were very skimpy. Recent;ly I bought something at the store (can't remember what it was now!) I thought I was buying a pound and arrived home to find the package was 12 oz.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:36 AM

I bought a jelly roll once, the strips were supposed to be 2.5" and they were 2.25". I couldn't use them for my intended project. They went into a log cabin quilt instead. I've never bought another.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:59 PM

I did the same thing... got the little square and thought ewwwwww. then I made a mini twister and was thrilled. I have always heard charm packs usually include one of each fabric in the line... so you do have to be careful.

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
My lesson learned too........ordered what I thought was a great price for charm pack at MSQC......bought two....ended up with mini charms-----2 1/2" squares...my fault, brain did not register the word mini, just saw $$$$. Will add them to my leaders and enders pile........or hexie stack.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

I ordered a set of charms from JoAnn's website because I thought the $3.99 price was great. When they came there were only 8 in the pack! EIGHT. I took them back to the nearest JoAnn's.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
This may have been posted before, but I just ran into the problem. I, personally, will take responsibility, but I had NO idea! I bought 3 charm packs from Craftsy.com. Was excited, planning 3 quilts.....price was AWESOME! yeah, you get what you pay for. Apparently a charm pack does NOT have to contain 40 pieces......these contained 14!!!!!!!!! ONE quilt. Oh well.....however, I thought all charm packs contained the same amount of blocks. Is it the same with jelly rolls, etc????????
It depends on the manufacturer, the majority provide 42 pieces, you have to read carefully before you order.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Yes they do sell charm packs with less than 40 in it,usually it's in fine print just how many are in it, does depends on brand.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 AM

Does anyone know which companies laser cut their precuts. I find that I just don't like the ones that are pinked.