Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charm Packs -- watch out! >

Charm Packs -- watch out!

Charm Packs -- watch out!

Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 AM

Default Charm Packs -- watch out!

This may have been posted before, but I just ran into the problem. I, personally, will take responsibility, but I had NO idea! I bought 3 charm packs from Craftsy.com. Was excited, planning 3 quilts.....price was AWESOME! yeah, you get what you pay for. Apparently a charm pack does NOT have to contain 40 pieces......these contained 14!!!!!!!!! ONE quilt. Oh well.....however, I thought all charm packs contained the same amount of blocks. Is it the same with jelly rolls, etc????????
Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 AM

Amandasgramma--I find it depends on the brand of fabric. Moda has so far been quite consistent in their quantities and I have not seen a charm pack for less than 40 nor a jelly roll or layer cake. Other brands, like Riley Blake and Northcott I have seen much smaller quantities. I want to say I saw a charm pack that was around $5.75 or so and thought it was a good deal but then saw it only contained 18 or maybe 20 squares. You definitely have to look at the quantity now if buying a brand other than Moda (and even then it is good to check because Moda does sell a few half jelly rolls I think--maybe I am wrong about that).
Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Contents vary on precuts. All I have ordered has the amount in the description.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 AM

That would have been so dissappointing for you amandasgramma! I don't buy precuts much either but have bought them once from Connecting Threads. The ones I bought only had 20 charm squares per pack so I had to buy quite a few to make a quilt. It seems on CT site the charm packs contain the number of fabrics there are in that particular collection, so they are all different. ( but they tell you quite clearly in their ad the number you get) Well, have fun sewing up the ones you got!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:23 AM

pre-cuts are evil. just kidding ;-)
Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 AM

The same can go for some yardage on some sites. I have seen fabric priced at 1/4 yard prices and you think Wow! what a deal and then look at the fine print and see that's for 1/4 yard and not per yard. Too bad consistency isn't the name of the game.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Yeah, it really varies. Usually, it's one or two cuts from every fabric in a particular line. So how many fabrics make up a line? Hmm... I will say that 14 is on the low side, but usually it's from around 20 to around 40. This is the same for all precuts: jelly rolls, layer cakes etc. As they say read the info in the posting. I've never seen a precut pack listed anywhere that doesn't state the number of cuts in the pack, but there probably are some somewhere.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I would hope they were extremely cheap for 14 charms!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 AM

I too learned the hard way to read the fine print on precuts... Just one of the reasons I avoid them.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:40 AM

Reading the fine print......NEW CONCEPT!!!! LOL LOL I know, I get caught so many times!!!!! I consoled myself.....went to town and bought more fabric. win-win!!!!