Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this Cheating...

My mother was like that also, what ever I made for her she had to add to. Always complaning about how I did stuff, it was always her way or the highway. Keep doing things your way as I have and so many people think they are beautiful. LOL

That's the way I learned growing up! My mom and g'ma never cut a binding like I do now! I think it depends on the quilt, the look and the use. Whatever you like is what goes!!

Vat
    There are no quilt police. It is your project start and finish it whatever way pleases you. I personally like a bindng cut and add but I have seen the fold-over done and looks very good when done correctly. Sometime what you cut off of the back to square your quilt might be used to bind the quilt. I cut my binding at 1 7/8 inches and you can get lots of binding out of little fabric. But all in all keep quilting.

To me there is no such thing as cheating, there are only ways of finding ways to things to make life easier for us quilters. If it works then do it is my motto. I do binding's in different manners, it depends on my mood. I was taught a new way the other day from a customer and I was like OK makes sense and even easier. Will give it a try and then try to figure out how to describe it at a later date. I say go for whatever way makes your quilting life easier and will keep you quilting for years to come. So many people feel things should be the olde fashioned pain staking way that our great grandmothers did and well i am sorry with out of the home jobs that require many people to commute long hours there is not enough hours in a day.

Blog Entries
    I've never bound that way because it sounds harder to me. I think we all do things the way that suits ourself. Mum sounds a bit like a narcississ. Or maybe she's jealous that you actually finish yours. Hang up when she starts being mean or tell her she upsets you with her attitude.

From what I understand,we used to all do it that way because we always matched the back with the front colors.Now we can back the quilt with muslin or a sheet,whatever we can afford,and its cheaper in the long run ,if you do a seperate binding strip.(depending on how you do it.)

I'm glad you came here to vent...makes me appreciate my own Mom so much more...she applauds for each of her 4 kids...
    my Grandmom, though, sounds alot your mother...but deep down, we knew Grandmom also loved us...my Mom always tells us, sometimes those that love us the most tend to be the hardest on us...I can't give you any new advice, and I hope you and your mother have a better future...

I'm babysitting and my youngest DGD just erased my whole reply, thank you sweetness....!
    now, here is a summary of what I said:
    I just wrote all about this method of binding that you are using, to someone bc it is so economical and convenient!
    People sometimes feel guilty about their own habits and doings and want to keep focus off themselves so they find fault with others.
    It is so easy to do it to family, especially kids,...even if they are grow, bc we are all so reluctant to tell our parents when they are doing wrong.
    It's just as wrong for your mother to criticize you as it is for me or you to do it to another person.
    You are being the bigger person and it is hard...trust me, I know all too well...but we do it for this reason:
    It is better to resist returning unkindness for unkindness and we can feel good about being the person with traits we admire in others.
    You are not doing anything wrong and there is nothing wrong with tying your quilts either.
    These are all personal choices and you have earned the right to decide to quilt every waking moment if you so choose, unless it causes upset within your own household.
    I'd try to change the subject when quilting comes up with 'mom' in the future. She is being a spoiled sport who feels guilty.
    It's ok to be upset...just do it without being ugly. I applaud you...trust me, sometimes I need to be encouraged to "rise above" too! You go girl!!!! ;-)

i like that "It`s your quilt and you can do whatever you want" mentality!!!! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    It's your quilt and you do it anyway you want. I have a friend that watches her caller ID and if it's mom she doesn't answer if she is not up to it at the time. My mother and grandmother use the bottom for the binding for all the quilts they did. It is a real binding:) I love to tie my quilts also. I think the best quilt is the one done and keeping someone warm:)

You know, I have never heard of this method! It makes great sense to me.

Blog Entries
    Deanna , { my birth given name is Dena} :D my very critical mom is half the reason I don't attempt anything out of my comfort zone. I vowed to change that this year & I am 55 yrs old. I could go into alot of pycho pabble but bottom line is do what you like...I have finally realized there are no quilt police, they aren't going to come in my home & arrest me.
    I've done my quilts in several different ways:
    I tie alot of my quilts,
    I also bind the way you described,
    I also use old blankets instead of batting sometimes-ok most of the times.
    I taught myself to quilt years ago when I had a family and needed to do things cheapy.
    I hate reading patterns so most of the time I design myself or even wing it as I go.
    There is no right or wrong its what you want and if you are happy with the end result thats all that matter.
    Happy Quilting!!!!

Hang in there Kiddo. Next time don't tell her what you're doing. She should be supporting you in your endeavors and not putting you down. Don't let her pull you down. A lot of the old, old, old quilts were bound that way and they were also tied. We're behind you all the way.

It isn't cheating to bind that way! Just another creative way to finish a quilt. I read your own philisophical statement it is so timely for your situation read it yourself again! I have toxic people in my life also so it helped me to read your statement. Thanks ! ;)

community benefactor
    Just remember it is your quilt--and you are getting yours done.

Can you sew or watch TV while talking/listening to her. Maybe just listen with part of one ear???
    Susan

I have been quilting for only a year but i have seen so many quilts done by ladies who have been quilting for like 20 years and believe it or not my quilts are WAY better, and i cheat (like they say!!!) but when they see my quilts they can't close their jaws...with that said you taking the time to actually make the quilt is a talent that should be appreciated and never be told it is a waste of time. God bless you for just keeping quiet with your mom because she is still your mom and they should be respected and loved for who they are. Also the fact that you hand quilt is amazing it is something i can never do.

Faten

I dont understand mothers - mine used to say some hateful things and never thought twice about it. When I finally got to be 40 it got better, and now shes gone and I miss her, but boy I remember the bad stuff.
    I fold over my back alot cus I too do not have the money for a lot of nice bindings. I use my quilts and where they go theyre used too. The only worry might be that being the outside edge it might wear faster. Maybe if you plan a bit ahead when you get to the binding you'll have left enough to double it over before you sew it down.
    My mominlaw who is an exceptional sewing person and quilter also doubles over the backer for a binding edge at times. share t

All quilts are a labor of love and effort by the quilter. It doesn't matter if you fold over the binding, pillow top it, or bind it with strips. It doesn't matter if you hand quilt it, send it out to a long arm quilter, or free motion quilt it on your own machine. Quilting is a passtime of pleasure, and you should enjoy every minute of it. There is no right or wrong. Tell your Mom in her own "mean" voice that she can just stick it

Airwick, I am sorry your mother has to be so unkind to you. My parents were wonderful. You know the old saying "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me?" Whoever said this was not too bright. Unkind Words can cut through you like a knife.

sendin lts of hugs you way AND tell MRS. Know-it-all, I always use the method you are using.

Hugs

Helen

I understand how you feel, some mothers have such a sharp tounge, and they don't realize how much they hurt us with it. My mother is gone now, she left behind all of her machines and fabric, books, and patterns, thread, buttons, lace, you name it she had it. All of her possesions they don't go with you and no I didn't get any of it, but she did teach me to sew and no one can take that love away from me. Don't worry what she says yes there are better ways but you are learning and a well tied quilt to me is a treasure since that is the way my grandma finished all of her quilts. Tied every inch apart and the backing brought around and hemmed. Enjoy your quilting that is why we do it not for others but for our own joy and satisfaction anything else is a bonus.

I've done a few this way myself. I don't think it's cheating! I may be wrong but think some older quilts were binded this way.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Louise
    It was traditional to turn the back to the front for binding so as to not waste fabric. My Amish quilting friend does it. It can be done very nicely, mitering the corners.
    I have also read about this method and how it goes back a long way.

I don't do it this way simply because I prefer to have a double thickness of fabric in my binding. That said, I suppose one could leave enough backing fabric on the sides to effect a double fold.

Honey , just put a little something in that tea, read this board and just bask in all the encougment you get here, and get back to sewing.Rita

You are the artist, and it is your quilt. Do it the way you want.

I take issue with the word "cheating". How can a tried and true method of finishing your quilt edges be cheating? In our Reuse, recycle world you are choosing one of the "green" methods. I don't have the money to have a longarmer finish my quilts for me. My solution is to learn machine quilting on the machine I have. Tying is another method as is hand quilting. Art is arrived at from many directions. The only common ground between Salvador Dali & Grandma Moses was some of the same tools and the desire to put on canvas what was in their hearts and minds. Yet they are both great artists. Not to criticize your mother, but the main goal of people who have decided to be miserable is to make all around them miserable too. You can't fix it you can only refuse not to be sucked into that black hole. Keep quilting your way!

This is done in several ways, but that is the way I do most of mineand nobody has ever been critical of the way it looks. You've heard of "Different strokes for different folks" More important that whoever gets your quilt enjoys it.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast