Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this Cheating...

I have used that method also. It all depends if I want the binding to be the same color as the backing. That is not always the case. I usually use solid Kona fabric for backing since I do not make my quilts reversible or care as much about the back. I mostly add a binding that coordinates with the front of the quilt.

What's cheating about that? Also, many people tie their quilts. Makes me miss my own mother even more. She bragged about anything I did (even all the mistakes).

There is no right or wrong way to making quilts. You do what is right for you and your quilts. I often fold over the backing for the binding. I do both quilting and tying. Depends on what I feel is right for that quilt. Smile and gently tell your mom that you appreciate her advice but you like to try other methods as well.

That's now cheating, it's just another way of binding. The purpose of binding is to hide the raw edges of the top, back and batting. I do this often on my "drag-a-bout" quilts. I am "one of those" whose backings are made to match the top in some was so this does look good. If I make an "heirloom" quilt or the back is very different from the front, I make a separate binding.

In my opinion, we often get caught up in the "rules" of quilting when in reality there are none. Remember where quilting came from and do it your way!! Have fun and don't stress.

I agree! You are quilting because it is something you love to do! Enjoy it. I have a mother like that too -- always criticizing what I do or repeating stuff I tell her in confidence to my brothers and others -- so I stopped telling her what I am doing!

Blog Entries
    No, you are not cheating. I have a quilt made by my grandmother back in the 40's. It has the backing folded over to the front for binding. (She used a good cotton for the backing so the binding has held up okay.)
    My quilt is getting a little worn but I still love it. I have seen other quilts that my grandmother made and some of them have the regular binding on them. My grandmother was a very smart lady and if she thought it was okay to do it, then it was okay.

Tying the quilt is okay too. My mother and grandmother have done it both ways. Some of their quilts were tied and some were quilted. (My grandmother quilted most of hers, but that was in the day when a group of her friends would come over; they would drop the quilting frame from the ceiling and all of them would sit around the frame and talk while they were quilting.....or maybe they quilted as they talked... :)
    I have an idea that the quilting was just an excuse to get together. Gee....if I had that type of quilting support, I would quilt it too.
    In later years, my grandmother tied several of her quilts because her friends had gotten ill or had died...(she lived until she was 95).

Your quilting style is just fine and don't worry about the quilt police. Enjoy yourself. :thumbup:

I'm sure your quilts are lovely, They are made with love.We all improve as we go.
    My mother was much the same as yours sound she was the most unhappy person I have ever known.Could not understand why her 8 children didn't visit more. At the time I was 2000 miles away.

Folding the back over is the way most were done and is still used by many. :D

I don't think you are cheating at all. I know I've seen directions for doing the binding in a quilting book this way. I do remember one instructor saying that this kind of binding would not last as long as the separate binding because of the separate binding being double folded and thereby more durable so is this a concern? If not, why not? As to tying or quilting a quilt to me quilting means you need to do something to keep 3 layers together so you stitch by hand or machine, tie with yarn or floss, sew on buttons, use a decorative or non decorative stitch in place of where you would put the tie. It''s all quilting. Otherwise too boring and predictable. JMHO.

Because you do it differently than another person doesn't make their way right and yours wrong....In my opinion it is always better to have a done quilt than an unfinished one sitting around no matter what techniques are used in them.

I do it any way I want. I do baby quilts with the wrap over because I usually love the backing material, and I want it all around the front. So earier, but so cute. I'm working on a quilt as you go. the backing material, and sashing is the same material, so it doesn't make sense not to wrap around with the same fabric. Other quilts like wall hangings, I use muslin on the back, so I make a binding that sets off the quilt.. No rules, it just what ever you like.

PS. if that cheating, then wouldn't using a pattern be cheating. So I don't think so.

Thats how I do it, always turns out ok for me, and it is only cheating if youuuu think it is

Blog Entries
    The first quilt I ever made had this type of "binding". That was about 25 years ago, and the quilt is still in decent shape.

Banned
    Tell her you wanted to be "authentic" and make it like the old quilters did. It is a perfectly accepted way of binding the quilt. It saves fabric. Be sure your turn over is consistent and even with nice fine stitching. Tell her it is from a book of a very famous wuilter of the 19th century and you are being frugel and not wasting fabric.

There is nothing wrong with binding your quilts this way and at least you get yours done and can use them! It is sad when someone will criticize you (and your own mother no less,but some do) and all they do are the tops. Perhaps her tops will end up at Goodwill or sold on an estate sell for a few dollars. You see it all the time. Keep quilting the way you want to and be happy with your quilts. They are made to be enjoyed and loved.

Don't let her steal your joy!! I do a lot of mine that way. I feel it is best to not waste when you don't have to!!

After a time, depending how much use, you may have to replace the binding as one thickness has a tendency to wear. If you need to tie...so be it. You could hand quilt and the quilt would be more valuable.

Ha! I always thought that separate binding was because they didn't leave enough on the backing to do the binding the "right" way. No one ever told me different until I started looking up quilts online.

My grandmother always left extra on the back to bring to the front. It was always to me, stronger than the binding sewn on (we tugged on the edges alot when fighting for the covers)and it wouldn't tear off.

For the last 26 years, my son has had his "tied" quilt and wouldn't trade it for anything. He barely let his daughter use it when she "found" it. He wanted to know why I sewed all over the quilt I made for her and her little sister instead of doing it like his. Some are just traditions that live long in family lines.

If your quilt is made with love (and which one isn't) you made it the very best way that quilt was to be made. Heck with how you did it just that you did it is wonderful.

Some people just like to gripe, complain and critizie others and it sounds like you got one of those. I married into a whole family like that. Whenever they start pointing out my mistakes I just look at them sweetly and tell them where the door is. (Okay, sometimes not so sweetly). I have always told my children and grandchildren if you can't say something nice then please don't say anything at all. I would probably tell my mother the same thing. (I have told my MIL before). Fix your quilts the way you want to. They are your quilts not hers. And NO, there is definitely not anything wrong with doing it your way.

LMB
    Quilts are as different as MOTHERS> there are good ones and bad ones... some are sweet and colorful, some are dark and shady. You get what you get. I can tell you a truth. There are no quilt police, There is no right or wrong way. There is you and a bunch of fabric, and your creation when you are done. I am a Mother 6 times over, and if I acted like your mom I would exspect my kids to politely say "OK MOM, you do it your way and I will do it mine."
    My heart hurts for you, but you need to get elephant skin or tell you mother the truth~

Yours is a perfectly acceptable and legitimate method and frugal too! That method is in several books. So ignore any criticisms. Bless you for bearing your mom's negativity with patience.

My mom was like that, I loved her to pieces but she was critical, I listened, thought "oh my, she's grouchy again today" and did it my way anyway.

I ALWAYS pull my binding over to the front, I really hate to hand sew my binding on, you can sew it on the machine when you pull it over to the front, looks really nice on the front and back if you use a decorative or blanket stitch (I'm assuming you have a sewing machine).

I've never had a quilt machine quilted by anyone. I do a lot of stitch in the ditch, or X's to quilt.

Recently I started to free motion quilt on my sewing machine. I do it in small sections so it's manageable. It takes practice, but it's fun so you might consider trying it out as an eventual alternative to tying some day.

If you're doing all your quilts by hand, you can still do these techniques by hand as an alternative to tying as well.

Nothing wrong with tying. There's something really comforting about a tied quilt.

Take a deep breath - consider the source of your doubting yourself - do whatever makes sense to you. You are not sewing to please your mother - please yourself. It took me a few years of therapy to come to the realization that I could not do everything in life to please my mother (she sounds a lot like yours) and always do it her way. My way (in many jobs - not just quilting) has made me very happy with myself.

I have done several quilts that way. Never had a complaint or problem. Maybe your mother is jealous that you are completing what you started and she can't bring herself to finish a project before starting another. Or maybe she doesn't know how. Perhaps she could take some lessons from her daughter. Even "Quilt Police" are not above getting pointers.

I've done this! Looks fine, and saves time and uses fabric. Who could ask for more?

Quilt police come from all over - ignore them. They don't get it.

You mean I have been "cheating" all these years? LOL Been quilting over 30 years and last year is the very first time I had a quilt professionally quilted. I really wanted the quilt but it was paperpieced and there were a bazillion seams that I did not want to hand quilt over. Hang in there. As they say, "Nothing lasts forever!"

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast