Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gifts? >

Christmas gifts?

Christmas gifts?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM

They won't think you are cheap, at least I wouldn't. I would be honored to get a hand made item. I know the time and love that goes into each project.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM

My family will make requests here and there for handmade items. I don't always know that they really like something when I send it, but I find out later when they ask for a replacement. ;) I make a lot of reheatable corn bags and painted glass ornaments for extended family, friends, and teachers. Close family often gets boxers or PJ pants, blankets, potholders, etc.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by sewred
Do any of you make Christmas gifts instead of buying them? Money is really tight this year and I thought about making gifts from my stash but do you think they will think I'm being cheap?
Also I need ideas please if you have some of what you've made or just an idea for the guys in my family? Please.
I have never had a Christmas that I didn't make a bunch of gifts. What I make differs. Sweaters one year. Scarves one year. A couple years ago, reclaimed shopping bags---------that even the guys can use for tools and stuff. Christmas ornaments. Mug rugs. Angel necklaces. Good heavens-----------I could go on forever!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
My family is very particular. They want the handmade item to be the same quality as an expensive boutique item, and they don't want to receive anything they have received in the past. Since there are 2 of us who give handmade items it is difficult to remember what has been given and not repeat an item, at least not in the last 6 years. The grown children and grand children are getting sets of placemats and napkins. Some placemats are reversible, some aren't; none are quilted or embroidered this year. Two have bad backs and will get rice bags. One grandchild will get a real fur vest. Have no idea about the rest of the gifts.
Your post certainly makes me appreciate my family!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM

I made grilling aprons for some friends a few years back. Found my plain apron in the closet, and laid it out on newspaper, and traced it - but added length to it for men. I used duck cloth, about 7.99/yd. Each apron used 1 yard. I added a couple pockets in fun cotton prints specially for each guy. They loved them!

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
Originally Posted by Grama Chris
In our immediate family of 17 we excgh names & you have to make an ornament that depicts that person. The GK's come up with some very ingenious ideas. I'll make hand stitched dish towels, table runners, wall hanging w/embellishments on them, coasters, quilts, aprons for the guys cuz they love to grill even in the winter time :)
What type of aprons do you make for the guys? All of the guys in my family are 'grillers' too. They may like some masculine aprons.
Grilling Apron
[ATTACH=CONFIG]257936[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-257883.jpe  
Old 09-16-2011, 04:45 PM

For now, I am working on making one Christmas present. It's a quilt for my younger brother. I bought some panels of deer and am adding some borders. At the rate I'm going, everyone else will probably get a store bought item. haha
Old 09-16-2011, 04:55 PM

i starting making lap quilts for my family which grew to 40+ quilts. i got half of them made so far.

this year i am giving cookbooks and handmade potholders and oven mitts. the book binders are plain half sized office binders that i will cover in fabrics of my choice and fill with these wonderful recipe cards that my local culinary store prints and sells. after seeing that apron pic, i may consider throwing 1 or 2 of those in. my family and friends love my handmade gifts as it is truly something that comes from the heart.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM

Book covers and bags are on my list to do for gifts this year. I personally like getting the handmade gifts as opposed to store bought. Happy sewing all.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:22 PM

"A couple years ago, reclaimed shopping bags---------that even the guys can use for tools and stuff."

You know this sounds like something I should do. DH has been attending local baseball team's games on Senior Nights - gets a free hotdog and drink. Well there are tables set up from local businesses, hospitals, etc. giving out freebees and of course DH picked them all up, especially the shopping bags. I think I'll cover them with some fun fabrics and give them as an added little gift that can be used for food shopping or as suggested, storing tools.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

I think HM gifts are the best, and definately NOT cheap, lol!