Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gifts? >

Christmas gifts?

Christmas gifts?

Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 AM

I have a problem with people asking for gifts. For me a gift is somthing I choose to give.

This year I am giving Microwave Fabric Bowls - I will be handquilting them. I do not normally give Christmas gifts, primarily because I think it has gotten out of hand. I prefer to give gifts througout the year whenever I see something I think someone will like or can use. My mother (85) still has four sisters living and they all use microwaves and I feel these bowls make it easier and safer for them to use their microwaves. So these are what I will be making, especially for the elderly I will be thinking of this Holiday Season.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:40 AM

I have done the same as Grandma Lehr... You have to decide whether your gift will be appreciated by the receivier. Some like handmade and appreciate them and others do not. My two sister in laws probably would not like them. So it just depends. I have made quilts, placemats, pillocases, and other small items for those who liked them. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:56 AM

I always give handmade gifts. My family members have come to expect them, and always love them.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:00 AM

Yes, all the time. They're always the right color, size, etc. And believe it or not, they really like them. We have custody of an 11 year old granddaughter. Every year I make gifts for every teacher she's had since kindergarten. This year I'll be making 20 of whatever I make.

When my grandmother's parents came from Poland they didn't have much money so her mother made gifts. That's been passed down to all of us. Now my girls and daughter in law are making gifts to give. We actually have fun trying to figure out what to make each year so it's something different. We even share supplies. I alway make a label for embroider who the gift was to and from and the year.'

It's a challange to come up with something different each year. And the teachers tell me they look forward to Christmas to see what they'll get this year. I make things for them to decorate the room but most of them take them home to use at home.

It's fun!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by luv2so
Yes, all the time. They're always the right color, size, etc. And believe it or not, they really like them. We have custody of an 11 year old granddaughter. Every year I make gifts for every teacher she's had since kindergarten. This year I'll be making 20 of whatever I make.

When my grandmother's parents came from Poland they didn't have much money so her mother made gifts. That's been passed down to all of us. Now my girls and daughter in law are making gifts to give. We actually have fun trying to figure out what to make each year so it's something different. We even share supplies. I alway make a label for embroider who the gift was to and from and the year.'

It's a challange to come up with something different each year. And the teachers tell me they look forward to Christmas to see what they'll get this year. I make things for them to decorate the room but most of them take them home to use at home.

It's fun!
What a generous gesture!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:10 AM

Would love to sew for my family, but is a waste of time. They are like "Oh, Thanks" if they say that. Most usually no response at all.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by sewred
Do any of you make Christmas gifts instead of buying them? Money is really tight this year and I thought about making gifts from my stash but do you think they will think I'm being cheap?
Also I need ideas please if you have some of what you've made or just an idea for the guys in my family? Please.
I don't buy ANY gifts for family and friends. I have made all my gifts since I was a kid. The men often get flannel pj pants with pockets, or fleece throws for watching TV. For the women I make quilted table runners, quilted throws for TV watching, crocheted lace snowflakes for the Christmas tree, handbags. All of these things can be made according to your abilities. This year, those that haven't gotten a quilt are getting one. For my teenage Gsons last year, I made little quilted stockings with their names in the center and put a $50 bill in them, and hung them on the tree. The ideas are simply endless. I believe Christmas should come from the heart, not the mall.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:02 AM

My family loves homemade gifts. this year I am making them phentex slippers, hooded scarfs with matching knit gloves, hanging towels with crocheted tops, aprons amy maybe some bow tuck bags. I hope I can get it all done. I have also made my son a queen size log cabin quilt, all hand pieced and hand quilted.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Go home made they will love it.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:08 AM

DH and I are in our mid 70's so there isn't too much we actually need. The past few years our children and grandchildren have gifted us with gift cards for restaurants, book stores and for me quilt shops. DH and I stretch them out so we're enjoying our gifts throughout the year. Last week we used one and told our granddaughter "Thanks for yesterday's lunch, we used my Birthday gift card".