Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gifts? >

Christmas gifts?

Christmas gifts?

Old 09-17-2011, 04:13 AM
tmg

Gift giving comes from the heart not from the pocketbook. So to answer your question no it is not being cheap.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:58 AM

There are so many wonderful ideas here. I have many of these ideas on my radar for my gift giving this year too.

One idea not mentioned that some might want to do that I did several years ago is I typed up all our family's favorite traditional recipes that have been used time and time again for special holiday such as birthday dinner, Thanksgiving favorites and Christmas traditional cakes and cookies. I then bought special paper and binders, printed them and gave them to family members. The binder then could be added on to as new favorites came to light. I kept one for myself and it has grown as I keep finding new ones I like.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:06 AM

Last year I made three quilts, but that can run into a lot of money.
This year I'm going to make four bow tuck pocket books, three of them will be for my grand daughters. In the past I have made wreaths, ceramic pieces and crochet afghans.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:09 AM

My family used to refuse to let me know where anyone was registered for weddings, showers, etc. They wanted me to make gifts for them, lol....so I know they don't think that handmades are cheap. I will be giving handmade gifts this year, have already started working on them.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:13 AM

Personally, I think a "made" gift is the best gift! Go for it :thumbup:
Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 AM

My family depends on something from the sewing room each year. A few years ago, all 6 grandkids got quilts, Last year, it was purses for the gals and quilted vests for the guys. I keep a supply of hats and scarves knitted up for the unexpected Christmas guest(boy friends/girl friends) that the grandkids bring to our holiday gathering. This year I'm doing some of the microwave bowl holders, table runners and place mats for those with their own homes or apartments and still looking for an idea for the high school group.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:23 AM

Hand made is on my list to!!Getting ideas from wonderful ladies here and internet!!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:26 AM

Last year I made aprons and did machine embroidery on them. Later I found the near identical plain apron at Target - now I have a convenient source for the "blanks" and can get right to the embroidery. (The plain apron cost was nearly the same at Target as making it myself.)
Old 09-17-2011, 05:35 AM

We always made gifts in my family, no matter how young we were we could make something. We all got one "store bought" item, almost always a book.
Gifts come from the heart, not the store. I love anything home/hand made - it shows someone is thinking specially about you. I'm not saying if you buy things to give you aren't thinking about someone, but I think what it says is you might think you dont have enough talent or aren't gifted enough to make something - like saying to yourself: "I can't can't make anything, I don't do anything special" You'd be suprised what you can do.

I still have a wall plaque my brother carved, a wild turkey. He was in HS. I have a painting of a landscape he made also. My mom used to make toffee for me and cream puffs for another brother for gifts cus we loved that so much. Homemade is wonderfil! sharet
Old 09-17-2011, 05:40 AM

Last year I made my younger grandkids pj's and made a pillowcase to use as wrapping paper. The older kids got fleece blankets and a pillowcase. They all loved them.