Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gifts? >

Christmas gifts?

Christmas gifts?

Old 09-16-2011, 05:36 PM

I will be making flannel pillowcases for the nieces and nephews Christmas stockings. Maybe some dress-up stuff for my niece whose name I drew this year. My 12 yo nephew is a tough case. Need to talk to his mom. :roll:
Old 09-16-2011, 05:51 PM

I would love to make alot of my gifts but time just doesn't allow it. I do have a nice flannel lap quilt in process for my dad who is almost 83 and failing fast. I will make a couple Bow Tuck bags for my nieces and one also for a very close friend. Other than that, I doubt there are alot of handmade gifts under our tree.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

I sometimes include a homemade gift as a part of my family's gifts. We usually give the dinner for everyone and open gifts afterwards on christmas day.

One year I made everyone a set of those lavender warming bags to put on a sore muscle or neck. I used a nice soft napped floral fabric you sometimes see as pajamas in high end stores. I bought it in three colorways, so they didn't all look the same. I added a rayon cord to the ends that you could adjust up with a nice bead. They were very well recieved. I used flax seed inside with a drop or two of lavender essesence for a great scent. I also gave them a small bottle of the scent so they could renew it.

I have made traveling sets before that include a cosmetic hang up with lots of pockets, a large bag for your spare set of shoes and a zippered bag for your delicates and jewery roll. I love those sets and they are very happy to recieve them.

I have made sewing sets for my quilter buddies that include a cutting mat holder and a tote bag that has a smaller zippered bag for the loos things you take with you to sewing/quilting classes.

There is always a quilt or lap quilt that is very nice as a gift. But, it would be nice to make one for the car that has a little zippered bag to keep it in the car's trunk or back storage area of a SUV.

Just because something is home made, that doesn't mean it has to be tacky. Just check out some ot the high end craft gift stores. These things go for a fortune!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:20 PM

Yes! My family and I love and appreciate handmade things :thumbup:
Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM

I always make hand made gifts for christmas. Either a pair on hand knitted socks or sweaters (usually good for a laugh), quilts, crocheted scarfs, etc. I find it more relaxing to work at home than fight the crowds. I think everyone if feeling the pinch and probably are much more appreciative of a hand made gift.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 PM

It seems in today's world everyone expects gifts, and whatever you do don't let them be inexpensive. A child has a B-day party and all the children need a gift. When I was a kid, only the b-day child got the gifts. If a family has a baby and there are older siblings now you're supposed to give, not only to the baby/parents, but also the older siblings. Have even heard of some weddings giving each guest a little something.
People who do crafts usually appreciate the hand made gifts more because we know it takes not only money but more important someone's time and their hearts(sometimes blood too).
I feel if someone can't gratefully accept any gift given them, they have too much and maybe shouldn't get anything. Make your gifts, give them from your heart, and remember you're giving them a one-of-a-kind treasure(s). If anyone does complain you could always tell them next year you'll give their gift to a charity on their behalf.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 PM

I have made gifts for years- esp any kind of decoration, or ornament. Placemats, potholders, casserole carriers, pillowcases-(esp good for kids) table toppers- there are so many things you can make!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm making sets of 6 "mug mats" or "mug rugs" for my friends and coworkers. I'm buying FQ's that remind me of each person. It's been fun....and very affordable. Last year my kids were pretty low financially and they made/gave away "cookie mixes" in jars. It was most appreciated.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 PM

My Mom is the hard one for us to buy for. She has everything. So last year we embroidered a dozen kitchen towels, made her 6 nice sz placemats in the hexigan shape & bought napkins to match. Oh & potholders and trivets to set her hot pans on. She loved this gift. This year she will get a few Runners with napkins to go with & some more seasonal placemats with hot pads to go with. She really enjoys changing her stuff around.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:05 AM

I have several asking for purses, and that is fine but have no idea what to make the men.