Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas ideas >

Christmas ideas

Christmas ideas

Old 10-13-2015, 03:57 AM

I like to make and give wool pincushions made from wool yarn. Here is the link to a thread with a picture. Further down in the thread I posted an explanation on how I make them. I've given away several on this board and everyone seems to like them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/offers-...s-t263817.html
Old 10-13-2015, 06:36 AM

Thank you. I got the idea from one a friend gave me.

I got the skewers on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Craft-Pou...=turkey+lacers

These were the best price I found -- 2 packs of 12 each for $6.09. If you buy some others, be sure that they have the "O" on top and not the straight bend. My daughter also found some 8 packs for 50 cents each in the sale bin at the grocery store. SCORE!!!! I bought some of the prestrung bead sets at Michael's when they were having a buy one/get one half price. Each skewer holds three medium beads with spacer beads, and I could get 2 to 3 stilettos from one string.

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
I got one of these as a gift from the ornament swap last year and love it! I want to make some of these for gifts ...can you tell me where you get the skewers?? Your's are very pretty!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I belong to a small quilt group (15-20 women). We exchange small things each Xmas and I'm running out of ideas. We do a lot of charity quilts. This year I'm considering cutting out blocks (maybe Jacobs Ladder) to give each person. We would probably get together (maybe March) and make 1-2 charity quilts from these blocks. Only two of use are beginning quilters, the rest of us are 5-10 year quilters and really don't need more FQ etc., or is this a bad idea. The backing & batting is provided free.
I think it's a great idea, I am also one that does not need more Knicks knacks! I would put a note in each one saying it was for a charity quilt so they all know. Maybe on the note you could add that you would supply dessert or something at the gathering.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
You can find the turkey lacing skewers in an 8-pack for less than $5 on Amazon, shipped free same day.
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
Thank you. I got the idea from one a friend gave me.

I got the skewers on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Craft-Pou...=turkey+lacers

These were the best price I found -- 2 packs of 12 each for $6.09. If you buy some others, be sure that they have the "O" on top and not the straight bend. My daughter also found some 8 packs for 50 cents each in the sale bin at the grocery store. SCORE!!!! I bought some of the prestrung bead sets at Michael's when they were having a buy one/get one half price. Each skewer holds three medium beads with spacer beads, and I could get 2 to 3 stilettos from one string.
Perfect! Thanks!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
the other day, i saw these rulers and thought about getting them with my friends' names on them
http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/O...ng/Notions.php
Thank you so very much for sharing. I want hem all!,,,
Old 10-13-2015, 09:18 AM

I belong to a small quilt group (15-20 women). We exchange small things each Xmas and I'm running out of ideas. We do a lot of charity quilts. This year I'm considering cutting out blocks (maybe Jacobs Ladder) to give each person. We would probably get together (maybe March) and make 1-2 charity quilts from these blocks. Only two of use are beginning quilters, the rest of us are 5-10 year quilters and really don't need more FQ etc., or is this a bad idea. The backing & batting is provided free.
One of our quilters does this every year.... We love it and we get more charity quilts done!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:51 PM

Oh I just love this idea. Yesterday was Thanksgiving here so should be able to find turkey skewers for a good price.
Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I am making stilettos for my sewing friends. Use a turkey lacing skewer, some jewels and gorilla glue or E6000.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

Tea wallets are great little gifts and don't take long to make.

http://blog.christyscreations.com/tea-wallet-tutorial/
Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 PM

I like your idea a lot. The rulers sounded like a great idea, too, but how can you afford to buy one for 20-25 people. The charity block sounds thoughtful and useful.