Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War GFG samples-What do you think?

No indeed! They're beautiful I think! Love em!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Oh no, they are just beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    I recently posted that I had cut out 2000 squares (2.5") of Civil War fabric to make a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. However, after I cut them out they seemed too dull for that type of pattern. I basted some together and laid them out on top of muslin to see how they look. What do you think? Too dull?Attachment 345940
    How about using cheddar for your background? Its a CW color and will brighten it up. I love these!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
    How about using cheddar for your background? Its a CW color and will brighten it up. I love these!
    You beat me to it! I like the CW fabrics but they aren't my taste. I love brighter fabrics but I understand the colors of the CW fabrics because that is the colors they used back then. However, I have to say that I LOVE the cheddar color. I think it is gorgeous with the dark CW blue.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Power Poster
    Very nice and the fabrics are very pretty.

Love the cw colors. Instead of the muslin have you auditioned using some shirtting fabric prints?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmany View Post
    Love the cw colors. Instead of the muslin have you auditioned using some shirtting fabric prints?
    Ohhhh. . . liking that idea!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

keep going!! Beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    I think maybe the reason you think the flowers look dull, is because traditionally the pattern was done in 20's & 30's fabrics. But, I love it done in Civil Wars!!!
    The flower aspect is more 20's & 30's yet the design shape (hexagon) is definitely old. There are some gorgeous samples in the Illinois State Museum. Definitely a good start to something wonderful.

Blog Entries
    I think it will be wonderful and commend you for making it. I would never want to try that one. Was at a quilt show this last weekend and saw a lady showing how to make this. good luck to you and I will be just beautiful. show us your progress so we can follow it.
    Delta
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

When I saw this my first comment was "Wow. Now I really like that." Keep going & please post as you go & when it's completed. I have looked at Civil war fabrics for a long time but never bought any until a week ago. I love the GFG quilt & the 30's & 40's repro fabric used with it. I never thought it would look good in any other fabrics. But it looks spectacular with the CW prints. It's going to be a beautiful quilt. I hope to do one like it someday. Keep Posting!

handi

I really like these. I am doing cw blocks of the month. I like the way it bends together. I use much cw in my quilts. Keep making the flowr garden. Are these english paper ppiecing?

I think there have been several options posted for you to audition. Please post.

Banned
    Not dull at all. If you like Civil War fabrics, muted is what you get.
    I've been online this morning printing Civil War and early 1800s patterns for a friend.
    The patterns are free. There are 28 pages of patterns, many for repros and alot that aren't
    Windham Fabrics, as you no doubt know, specializes in Civil War and 1800s fabrics, plus a few 30s.

http://www.windhamfabrics.com click on free patterns

I am not a big fan of white backgrounds. I don't think they do anything to enhance the visual effect of a quilt.
    I would use as a background a pale yellow or a beige. In fact, if you have enough of the fabric left from the
    center fabric, I would see how that looks. Anything but white.

I think they look warm not dull.

i love those!!! The problem is that the cream color of the muslin is too light - you need something a bit darker - tan/beige....

Definitely audition different fabrics - you'll find the perfect one.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    i love those!!! The problem is that the cream color of the muslin is too light - you need something a bit darker - tan/beige....

Definitely audition different fabrics - you'll find the perfect one.
    I agree, the white doesn't do it justice. It needs some color. tan/beige, very light to pop the flowers, but not enough to overpower the flower. Someone suggested the center hex as the path fabric, that would be nice too. GFG is most often seen in 30's retro fabrics, but I think anything works, as evidenced by yours. Keep going, it's going to be beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    I recently posted that I had cut out 2000 squares (2.5") of Civil War fabric to make a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. However, after I cut them out they seemed too dull for that type of pattern. I basted some together and laid them out on top of muslin to see how they look. What do you think? Too dull?Attachment 345940
    They look really good go for it I really mean that it is gooooood.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

I just got "English Paper Piecing" by Vicki Bellino. There is a quilt in there done with similar colors. It has a black outer fabric that has hints of gold in it. The quilt in the book is gorgeous, and yours will be too. I just started one in red, white and blue fabrics for my nephew.

I like what you are doing, keep going, for background fabric maybe a deep chocolate brown?

I've never been drawn to those fabrics but it looks like I may have to look at them, again. The flowers are beautiful. Keep going, these may be the only flowers growing this summer!

Blog Entries
    I think they will look like a Civil War era quilt! However -- if you don't like the fabric you chose and want to resell it -- please let me know!!!

Blog Entries
    I'm not even a civil war fabrics buff, and I think they are beautiful! Keep going, I think you will love the finished quilt.

I agree that the muslin is too light and I would choose a darker path colour. Any of the dark CW fabrics would work as long as the third round is medium to light as they seem to be . Will be jawdropping gorgeous.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast