Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clothing from quilting cotton..is it ok? >

Clothing from quilting cotton..is it ok?

Clothing from quilting cotton..is it ok?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I've noticed some cottons wrinkle very little - and others are almost worse than linens for rumpling.

I use the scrunch test when I buy fabrics - I grab a handful of it and scrunch it up hard in my hand - then release it and see how well it does - or doesn't - release wrinkles.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 AM

There are only 2 reasons for not using quilting fabric for clothing. One - you hate ironing. Most cotton clothing needs pressing. If you avoid styles that use collars and long sleeves, probably not a problem. My Mom can't stand to see me in an unpressed apron, but it doesn't bother me in the least bit. The second reason, as others have stated, are children's nightwear. The problem is not the cotton, but the design of the clothing. If you design the child's clothing to be body hugging with no frills, you make it safer.

Most flame retardants in children's nightwear washes out after 10-15 washings. It is the styling that reduced the number of burning injuries more than the fabric change. In most states, however, you cannot sell children's nightwear that you have made unless you use the stuff made specifically for children's nightwear (all poly). Way better choice than letting the kid sleep in oversized T-shirts (which are responsible for many burns today).
Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 AM

There are only 2 reasons for not using quilting fabric for clothing. One - you hate ironing. Most cotton clothing needs pressing. If you avoid styles that use collars and long sleeves, probably not a problem. My Mom can't stand to see me in an unpressed apron, but it doesn't bother me in the least bit. The second reason, as others have stated, are children's nightwear. The problem is not the cotton, but the design of the clothing. If you design the child's clothing to be body hugging with no frills, you make it safer.

Most flame retardants in children's nightwear washes out after 10-15 washings. It is the styling that reduced the number of burning injuries more than the fabric change. In most states, however, you cannot sell children's nightwear that you have made unless you use the stuff made specifically for children's nightwear (all poly). Way better choice than letting the kid sleep in oversized T-shirts (which are responsible for many burns today).

I am in the process of making some capris from quilting cotton. A couple of sewers have recommended using fabric or interfacing reinforcement for certain types of pockets because of their tendency to tear in thinner cotton fabric. I've decided to change my pocket style to one they use in men's bermuda shorts (it ends up in the waistband) to avoid that problem.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM

most of the novelty prints you see are on 100% cotton. I made jumpers/skirts from them for my own DDs years ago. now I make them for GD. Down side is the wrinkling, but if you are aware you can minimize wrinkles by taking it right out the dryer and hanging up.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I've noticed some cottons wrinkle very little - and others are almost worse than linens for rumpling.

I use the scrunch test when I buy fabrics - I grab a handful of it and scrunch it up hard in my hand - then release it and see how well it does - or doesn't - release wrinkles.
Now the Fabric Police will know why so many bolts of fabric have crumpled corners!
I verrrrry discreetly scrunch it, with my fingers.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
That's what we used to 'live in' - feed, flour, and sugar sacks were made of cotton!

I'm still not sure why 'not suitable for children's clothing' is stamped on some selvages of smooth, woven cottons.
I think it may say that because it's not fire retardant like I think fabric actually sold for children's stuff is supposed to be. It's just to prevent lawsuits, I'd imagine.

I look at it this way, that cloth has held up in quilts for years so I would think it would be fine for kid's clothes.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
from above: "I'm still not sure why 'not suitable for children's clothing' is stamped on some selvages of smooth, woven cottons."

They aren't fire retardant.

I made a couple sets of pillow cases from my stash and wasn't crazy about them. With lots of washing they have a tendency to look not so bright, and of course always need pressed (for me anyway)

I'm going to look for some kind of polycotton mix in the regular fabric stores next time I need something.

Daisy Kingdom pretty much based their marketing on how well their fabrics suited children's clothing.
Is Daisy Kingdom even still around? I loved their fabrics when DD was little. They had those fabulous little pre-printed outfits for her & her dollies... too cute!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Now the Fabric Police will know why so many bolts of fabric have crumpled corners!
I verrrrry discreetly scrunch it, with my fingers.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Okay - who else does this????
Old 08-06-2012, 12:19 PM

"Not suitable for children's sleepwear" is included because the fabric is not treated to be fire resistant. Most children's pajamas, from what I know, are made to be a little more fitted, and treated with some sort of fire retardant (which then washes out over time, especially if you use dryer sheets) to help your child survive in case of fire.

That said, I use cottons to make PJ pants for my family all the time. Yes, they wrinkle, but they're PJ's. Nobody cares. (I don't make shirts because that's too much work when they can just wear a T-shirt which is more comfortable anyway.) If you want to make shorts or a cute little dress, I say go for it!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 PM

My absolute Favorite Blouse Of All Time (yes, I capitalized that on purpose) is made from pale pink 100% cotton. It has to be 7-8 years old, is super soft, and is getting to the point where the seams are fraying and the underarm area is wearing so thin you can see through it. I just purchased some pink Moda Bella to make myself a new one.