Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Color combo's you are tired of seeing?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I might be the only one, but I don't like halloween fabric. I'm not a fan of halloween anyway so that fabric is something I shy away from. And I don't like food on fabric. I don't think I've ever made a quilt with black. I need to though. When I buy pre-cuts, I tend to toss aside any pieces that have black in them. I think I don't like flowery fabric with black in it. I would love to make an amish quilt with black...solid colors with black.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Most of the quilts I make are for children. I absolutely hate "old lady florals" in drab colors. There are florals that I do admire, but not the very formal ones in dark colors. I don't think I will like them even when I am an old lady -- I am sure some would call me that now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    I dont like the mag. trend that mixes fabrics so the design is lost.
    I sooo agree with you! I love to see the design and patterns in a quilt.

I don't really have any colors that I actually "hate" but I have to force myself to buy pastels. I always seem to gravitate towards the darker and brighter colors.
    Shari

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I got real tired of that blue and brown combo before it even hit fabrics. Every other designer on the HGTV design shows used that combo for at least a year and then it hit fabric designs. I don't like blue much in the first place and blue and brown together are really pretty boring since they're both fairly neutral.
    That's is exactly what I was going to say.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

I like the country blue but I am with you on the mauve and the peach.Some one mentioned the modern blue and brown combo and I never liked that either. Waiting for that to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I think the 'country blue and country mauve' - and I have LOTS of those fabrics!
    Anna Quilts

So what are we all going to do with the colors we do not like. I love oranges, yellow and some food fabrics but dislike mauve and peach. Anyone like mauve and peach?
    Anna Quilts

I'm tired of every Christmas fabric line having either aqua or black. I'd love to see a few more lines that are red, green, gold & cream. Traditional colors with modern prints.
    I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. - Michael J. Fox

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinginSD View Post
    I'm tired of every Christmas fabric line having either aqua or black. I'd love to see a few more lines that are red, green, gold & cream. Traditional colors with modern prints.
    Standing right next to you on this one. The black is sometimes okay, but the aqua just does not work for me.

Sometimes not finding the right color can be frustrating. I've been in the market for a dark green flannel, but for the last 2 years the flannels have been either too olive, too teal, or too apple/acid green. I'm hoping that fad will pass soon, and the forest and sage greens will come back!

I don't think I get tired of color combos, just tired of working with the same fabrics for so long on one project. Maybe that's why I seldom finish projects...

Blog Entries
    I agree with Peckish, would really like to see some true greens. Greens that aren't yellow-green, lime-green,etc.

Blog Entries
    Oh yea, turquoise and brown. puckerific. Mauve, been out of date for many years. I have wallpaper with mauve and blue flowers that I despise but have yet to paint over. Dull Civil War colors? Not in my stash. Give me purple, green, and yellow any day. The brighter the better....THat said, I do lean toward the darker colors especially for borders or backgrounds....go figure.

I like all colors would be a different world if we were all the same huh?

I don't seem to get tired of any color groups as long as it is a beautiful pattern. True, we seem to use a lot of the same colors at times, but they will all come back in style in a few years!!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I think the 'country blue and country mauve' - and I have LOTS of those fabrics!
    I am with you.. I HAD to have those colors in my house along with the ducks and other "county" style because that's what my husband liked. After 10 yrs and 3 houses decorated like that. I never want to see "country blue" again... Other than that I am pretty eclectic in color and style. But somewhere in my projects there is going to be yellow.:-)

Blog Entries
    I do not like the dull tea-stain colors of what I think is called Civil War quilts. Somehow they just look old and tired. Also I dislike dusty pink and dusty blue combos, to me they are so 30 years ago. I couldn't believe it when a quilt shop I frequent used pink and blue as a color scheme for a block of the month. Give me color give me life! Wow I feel better LOL!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Turquoise and red together!!! Gag me with a spoon!! Not crazy with the black/red/white thing either! Sorry to be so blunt, but you asked! I like to stay away from trends and do what I like.
    Last edited by coopah; 05-28-2012 at 04:56 AM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I love a variety of all colors all the time not just two or three together.
    Just passing through!

I think I'd refine to "what do you not like to use yourself?" I still admire and enjoy other quilters' work, and appreciate their choices even though I would not like to live with them myself. Most good batiks appeal to me, but a while back there was a thread where so many people said horrible things about them, that it made me feel kind of bad. As though I must have terrible taste. Then PinkLotus started a batik swap, and I mailed off my blocks on Friday. Can't wait to get new blocks back. Anyway, my own taste changes over time, so maybe I will say "yuck, blah, etc." to things I used to like. Happy for you wherever you are in your color journey.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I would have a hard time saying what combinations I am tired. Every time I think I don't like one someone makes something out of it and it is beautiful. I like color!
    Lorraine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I might be the only one, but I don't like halloween fabric. I'm not a fan of halloween anyway so that fabric is something I shy away from. And I don't like food on fabric. I don't think I've ever made a quilt with black. I need to though. When I buy pre-cuts, I tend to toss aside any pieces that have black in them. I think I don't like flowery fabric with black in it. I would love to make an amish quilt with black...solid colors with black.
    Eleanor Burns has a book with this Amish-looking type quilt...several pictures of them with different layouts are shown. I did a double bed size and finished it in a weekend. Turned out very nice.
    Last edited by coopah; 05-28-2012 at 04:55 AM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't get sick of any of em, but I do prefer the bright, bold colors.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    I dont like the mag. trend that mixes fabrics so the design is lost.
    Agree ..... Agree.....I am very traditional when it comes to clear design and sharp contrast. I just acquired several quilting books and magazines from the 70's and they are such a joy to read.
    Contempary is interesting but not my style!

I was tired of the 'spa-blue-and-chocolate' (where do they get theses names?!) combo after the first year it was everywhere - which I think was about five years ago. To my dismay it seems to be enduring...

I am also not a fan of the 'retro' prints that feature Fifties' women wearing heels and aprons, and brandishing steaming casserole dishes. That's not really a combo, just something I don't like!

Alison

I'm tired of pink and brown combos and I'm not a fan of orange and purple combos either.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I don't think I will ever tire of peach and green. I can't resist fabric in those colors and have a nice collection, LOL. There are no colors that I really don't like, even tho I think there are till I see them in a quilt and then I love them.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast