Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Color combo's you are tired of seeing?

I would never make a quilt for me with orange in it. My mom loved orange and she used it a lot. However, saying that, I have seen many quilts with orange in them that I love. So it depends on how it is used & the fabric it is coordinated.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I think the 'country blue and country mauve' - and I have LOTS of those fabrics!
    I agree - country blue and country mauve are passe'

I like just about every color, not always like some together. I use what I have and I like allof them, afterall I picked them out.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

You know, I really like the one color with white or cream, and tone on tone fabrics. I know that is kind of old-fashioned but I like it.

I like just about every color, not always like some together. I use what I have and I like allof them, afterall I picked them out.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I started out loving the civil war fabrics and darker, duller colors but am in the process of finishing up 2 civil war memorial quilts (BOMs) (one I am handquilting and the other machine quilting) and if I don't see civil war fabrics for awhile that will be just fine with me. For my next few quilts I want something brighter! That being said I don't care for oranges or much yellow in a quilt but don't mind the other colors (even lime green in a small amount) can look good if used correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
    I don't like what I think of as dull colors like browns, tans, darker reds, which for me means most of the civil war fabrics. I like color, the brighter the better, scrappies are the best.
    It's a good thing that no two people like the same things -- or for that matter, the same color combinations. It would be a very boring world. I love the civil war fabrics and the more traditional fabrics (calico, etc.) I don't care for the bright pinks, limes, turquoises (although turquoise is one of my favorite colors), purples, etc. The calmer fabrics tend to soothe me. Right now I'm doing a graduation quilt with reds, grays, ivory, and blacks. yikes. Sometimes I am jumping out of my own skin. teeheehee Another thing I find soothing is occasionally doing a low contrast. This is an interesting thread.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    Just when I think I am tired of seeing a color combo, someone makes a stunning quilt out of it.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I am not a fan of Civil War color fabrics. And I made so much stuff in those mauve and country peach and blues...I could still deal with the blue...but not the others.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    Red, black and white; chocolate and teal; oranges and yellows. I don't go with set pattern colors. I go with my own ideas and now my quilts are recognized by the style of the colors together and not the pattern colors (get it?) I generally like to do Samplers and each block is a block unto itself and I will have one color that is in each block that is not a major color and I use that little bit of color to bring it out in the sashing and border. That is just my style. I have been quilting for about 13 years now and I see something different every time I look at a quilt that I have made. I try to make my quilts tell a story. Edie

PS - It all boils down to what makes us love quilting, what we make, what colors we use, what pattern we use and how we combine all of it to make a special quilt. Our personality comes out in each and every one of the quilts we do and that is what I love about quilting.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I like the bright colors, dull ones seem to have me walk away from sewing
    Not fond of stripes either

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    I agree with Peckish, would really like to see some true greens. Greens that aren't yellow-green, lime-green,etc.
    Hmmmmm. And what would you define as "true" green? I am looking out the window at the woods and what I see is an infinite variation of greens, so which one of them is "true"? In any event, I never met a green I didn't like.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Burgundy and forest green make me gag. I do not like burgundy in anything - clothes, cars, furniture. My only despised colour. Dunno why. But I love all colours (but burgundy) and have seen many intersting colour combos that really work well.
    Last edited by glorcour; 05-29-2012 at 04:52 AM.

purple and hot pink
    Carol

I don't think there is a color combo that I don't like as my stash will tell. It is an adventure when I start a quilt and sometimes I even change one color or two. Hardly, if ever, follow a color pattern as indicated on the pattern. If it is a kit then sometimes I change one color or maybe not...depends. Whatever floats your boat.

I agree with Rose Marie, I want to see design when I look at a quilt.

I dislike the grey and yellow theme and all the dark muddy colors. Love crisp bright colors!
    Illinois "Bag Lady"

Coming of a great Memorial Day weekend, you still can't beat Red, White, and Blue!

My color tastes evolve over time. Unfortunately, my decorating budget can't keep up! I am tired of my blue toile bedroom and dreaded making a new quilt to replace the worn one. I used some brighter blues and found that I really liked the result. What I really wanted were earthy brown and green tones, a change of paint colors, new flooring, new headboard, and drapes. Not going to happen right now.

I can also admire some color combos and enjoy making them for others.
    Elizabeth

Well MY tastes have sure changed in 25 yrs of quilting ... I don't care for blue like I did then, and Rose ? Mauves ? Burgundy ? Eeek ! Most of the quilts I made 20 yrs ago are NOT my cup of tea today ...
    I do like a lot of the "modern" quilts and vibrant colors, but it does seem like aqua & red, and grey and yellow etc are being done to death ! They may end up like the shunned rose and blue and mauve quilts of tomorrow ! lol
    But with all the great fabrics today, there's something for every quilter's taste !
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 05-29-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm tired of "country". I live in the country, in a cape cod style house, with colonial furnishings - so I'm surrounded by it. guess that's what pushes me toward brighter and modern colors/styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I got real tired of that blue and brown combo before it even hit fabrics. Every other designer on the HGTV design shows used that combo for at least a year and then it hit fabric designs. I don't like blue much in the first place and blue and brown together are really pretty boring since they're both fairly neutral.
    Exactly my thoughts! I'm also not fond of the new retro 70's stuff with avocado green, harvest gold, and weird orange. Really? I lived through that nightmare of clashing colors and I don't want to go back! Next, they'll be selling us that icky polyester & acrylic crap again and I will have to make my own clothes out of dish towels! I had a rash for most of that decade from the crappy fabric! I ended up wearing flannel most of the time.
    Beverly

I am getting tired of seeing so many black & white quilts.

I don't care for dull, muddy colors, avocado green, peach, strange oranges, or orange-ish reds. I love pure, bright colors.
    Am liking black & white now. Though I want them clear, not the muddied black or off white. Pinks are still one of my favorites. Cool colors in general.
    All of us with different likes is what makes life interesting! Seeing other folks' creations in several colorways is always great!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I've seen grey used as borders and backings on a lot of the blogs. Doesn't do a thing for me!
    Ardelle
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains un-awakened."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast