Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Colors for Dear Jane?? >

Colors for Dear Jane??

Colors for Dear Jane??

Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
lol

Thanks, thought I was going mad for a minute... again! :-)

I have been thinking about doing the blocks scrappy, from bits of other quilts that I've made. So it would be kind of a fabric record of my quilting life.
i think thats a brilliant idea and very in the spirit of the original jane. i'm sure she didn't run out and buy all new fabric to make her quilt since it was during the civil war - i would imagine money and fabric were tight.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 PM

I'm not really a "scrappy" kind of person, I do like everything to be perfect. But in my scrap drawer I have little bits that I pull out every now and then and they make me smile, I remember the quilt I made with that fabric and how good it looked, etc.

And I do like all the colours in the original DJ. :-)
Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM

well i also took DH's opinion into consideration as I want this to be on our bed. when he got home today I brought him over to the computer to see a few pic's, the original and Klues pics. He said I should do scrappy, mainly to use up what I got but he also liked the story behind the original and how she used what she had and how they were all different pieces that came together so nicely :mrgreen: I think I am leaning towards scrappy.

I also think that if I do scrappy that I will not be disappointed if I mess up and have to toss a square or two( or More).
Old 09-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Banned

excellent!

doesn't it feel good to have the fabric/style settled upon. i really think its the hardest decision to make because how many full jane quilts will we be making in our lives.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM

I just ordered the book from amazon.com-- it's no longer in stock at Barnes and Noble. Since I have so many quilts in the WIP stage, I may just hunt clearance sales for the background fabric and collect scraps from my other quilts for now.

It will be fun to follow along with the participants in 2010 using the book as a reference, and join in when I have whittled down my WIP.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
lol

Thanks, thought I was going mad for a minute... again! :-)

I have been thinking about doing the blocks scrappy, from bits of other quilts that I've made. So it would be kind of a fabric record of my quilting life.
That's cool. Your Dear Jane will have a lot of memories tied to it.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM

I am going to use batiks for my dear jane. My background fabric is a very pale multi-color. It's so pale it looks off white when I take a photo of it. The other colors I am going to do in a trip around the world pattern as the original is. I'm getting excited. :D :D :D
Old 09-28-2009, 03:35 PM

BLUE -wow, what a cool idea. LOVE IT!!

Star, I think you are making a good choice too!! The B&W posted by Klue says it all. I only wish there was one that does not highlight the values so we can see how easy it is to go wrong! Whenever I see a nice quilt, I think, "hey, I can do that", and then I make it, and it's not the same. sometimes it works, sometimes not...

Okay, we are counting down. It's 9/28 and 3/4 of the way thru the year. Just think, this time next year, we will be DJ pros!!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

I don't have my fabric either but I'm thinking about using stash but buying a background color to tie everything together. The pieces are so tiny that I'm thinking that I have lots of scraps of fabrics that I loved....so I'll use those. Now...the background and the back are different stories.

Blue...I love your idea...!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 PM

Klue, thanks for the website listings, I have been trying to find sites to review before you start the "sew-along" in January. I am really looking forward to it, but concerned about the fast pace.

That scrappy one is actually the Maypole fabric line by April Cornell for Moda. I only know that because I purchased a bunch of it on clearance at Hancocks-Paducah last fall, there were some really pretty wovens in the kits.

Klue, I forgot to ask, do you recommend the software, or do you think the book is enough?