Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Colors for Dear Jane?? >

Colors for Dear Jane??

Colors for Dear Jane??

Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM

Esqmommy

I don't know about pro's well you and klue but not me! I think I will do scrappy and then fill in some of the repro fabric also and then a cream color foe the background.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

i prefer the software over the book because it provides you with all the patterns (along with many other perks) and with the book you have to redraft all the blocks - but its really a personal choice, some people love to use only the tools jane would have had on hand and hand stitch the entire quilt.

i'm into technology and the software was an easy choice, the software is under $40 from joann's and if you consider 10-15 minutes to redraft a block, that adds up to 40-50 hours spent redrafting blocks.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maribeth
Klue, thanks for the website listings, I have been trying to find sites to review before you start the "sew-along" in January. I am really looking forward to it, but concerned about the fast pace.

That scrappy one is actually the Maypole fabric line by April Cornell for Moda. I only know that because I purchased a bunch of it on clearance at Hancocks-Paducah last fall, there were some really pretty wovens in the kits.

Klue, I forgot to ask, do you recommend the software, or do you think the book is enough?
the pace will be fast, 12-14 months to complete all blocks/triangles/corners (that maypole quilt was done in 8 months) but we will be working 6 weeks on and 1 week off, so you'll have that week to get caught up.

also, after the 12-14 months we'll still be together because we have to put the top together and then quilt it.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

since the book doesn't help people with how to put together the blocks or the triangles, i will be putting up photos of the blocks that will show each section and the order to piece it.

these won't be tutes on how to paper piece, since there's already tons, but more to help the DJ book users on how to draft the block for paper piecing.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Okay, we are counting down. It's 9/28 and 3/4 of the way thru the year. Just think, this time next year, we will be DJ pros!!
we'll be official Janiacs
Old 09-28-2009, 05:31 PM

Love that scrappy look. If I was to do this (which I am not), I would go scrappy. Very nice.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM

So how many blocks do you think we will be doing a week?? And are you going in order?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
we'll be official Janiacs
LOL

I am also planning on having a neutral background type fabric to tie it all together, probably just an off white or something similar.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kwhite
So how many blocks do you think we will be doing a week?? And are you going in order?
no we won't be going in order of letters and numbers.

i'm trying to set it up based on how difficult the blocks are and determine the time of year that it is. the blocks will be anywhere from 3-6 blocks a week depending on how difficult the blocks are to make.

so, the idea is for the first 2 weeks to be easy blocks so everyone can get their feet wet.

then we'll spend the rest of the winter and spring doing a mix of technique and difficulty.

then when school lets out and the kids are home for summer and vacations/etc we'll hit easy blocks again.

then sept we'll start back with mixed technique and difficulty.

then for the holidays its back to easy.

then after the holidays pass we'll be at 12 months and we'll finish the quilt over the winter.

we'll be doing a triangle a week starting the 2nd month.

i plan on putting up the full schedule for the entire 225 blocks once we start the Cyber Block Party, i don't want anyone to feel like they don't know whats coming up or feel lost if they go on vacation (things like that).

so, we'll do 6 weeks of blocks then we'll take 1 week off, so that people can catch up/redo a block/work on another project/etc.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
then when school lets out and the kids are home for summer and vacations/etc we'll hit easy blocks again.
Our schools don't follow the same schedule as you guys. :-(