Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Colors for Dear Jane?? >

Colors for Dear Jane??

Colors for Dear Jane??

Old 09-29-2009, 09:14 AM

I really canīt decide whether to do this or not. If all the blocks are PP then I would be happier, but I donīt think all the blocks are and that would give me a fit trying to do those tiddly pieces.

Can you advise me on how all the blocks can be done please ?

Elle
Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
I really canīt decide whether to do this or not. If all the blocks are PP then I would be happier, but I donīt think all the blocks are and that would give me a fit trying to do those tiddly pieces.

Can you advise me on how all the blocks can be done please ?

Elle
i don't think there's one overall method to do every block/triangle/corner except the original way that jane did it - hand piece everything.

otherwise, some can be traditionally pieced - other might want to hand stitch inset seams, others can be paper pieced, and others are applique - and with applique there are tons of methods and each applique block might work best with a specific method and of course the makers ability in applique.

some of the applique pieces are extremely tiny and needle turn or fusible might work best in those cases.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 PM

Okay Klue, thanks for the answer I will give this serious thought because if they are hand sewn then there is hope for me.

BTW I loved the Baby Jane link you posted in the modern colours it was spectacular. I looked at the B&W that was posted but your idea was far superior, the shading made it really special.

Elle
Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken

I am also planning on having a neutral background type fabric to tie it all together, probably just an off white or something similar.
Me too! In fact, I'm probably actually going to use plain old unbleached muslin as my background fabric.

Jan
Old 09-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Okay Klue, thanks for the answer I will give this serious thought because if they are hand sewn then there is hope for me.

BTW I loved the Baby Jane link you posted in the modern colours it was spectacular. I looked at the B&W that was posted but your idea was far superior, the shading made it really special.

Elle
Elle....you should do this! I'm going to give it a shot. You could definetly do the applique and with the software you have the option on lots of them to PP or do it another way. I know you can PP beautifully! I'm thinking you could master this...and think of it like this....you would have a great opportunity to "try" a technique that you haven't before and it would only be for a small block...not an entire quilt. Oh heck...if there is one you can't do...let me know, I'll swap out one with ya' :roll: :lol:
Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

i went thru the blocks/triangles/corners.

about 50% of them are great for paper piecing.

then a few more (about 10 or so) can be modified by adding a seam or 2 to make them paper pieced.

then the rest of the quilt is either applique or tricky seams.

for the most part the applique is reasonable.

there will be a few applique blocks that will give us grey hair but thats what dye is for :lol:
Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat

Elle
Elle....you should do this! I'm going to give it a shot. You could definetly do the applique and with the software you have the option on lots of them to PP or do it another way. I know you can PP beautifully! I'm thinking you could master this...and think of it like this....you would have a great opportunity to "try" a technique that you haven't before and it would only be for a small block...not an entire quilt. Oh heck...if there is one you can't do...let me know, I'll swap out one with ya' :roll: :lol:
Wow Patti thanks for that offer. I try not to let things beat me. I am still thinking though. If I did think I would have to do modern colours.

Elle
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i went thru the blocks/triangles/corners.

about 50% of them are great for paper piecing.

then a few more (about 10 or so) can be modified by adding a seam or 2 to make them paper pieced.

then the rest of the quilt is either applique or tricky seams.

for the most part the applique is reasonable.

there will be a few applique blocks that will give us grey hair but thats what dye is for :lol:
Thanks for all the info, that really helps. The applique doesnīt phase me its any HST I may come across now they give me gray hair, so best I get in some hair dye in preparation LOL

It is a wonderful quilt and I am thinking the blocks ae small and could be done sitting watching or not watching the TV as the case might be if they have fiddly bits.Going back to have another look at the quilt.

Thanks Klue. BTW where is the best place for the software, sorry full of questions havenīt a clue how to use it either but I suppose you download to your PC.

Elle

Elle
Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Banned

the best price i've seen for the DJ software is joanns online.

you just install on PC and you never need to use the CD to run the program.

its made by EQ so if you know how to work EQ you'll be great, otherwise it comes with a book and a bunch of lessons to work thru so that you learn to operate the program.

its like EQ lite so it really isn't hard to operate.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Wow Patti thanks for that offer. I try not to let things beat me. I am still thinking though. If I did think I would have to do modern colours.

Elle
:lol: :lol: I was thinking more about the blocks beating me and me having to have you do them for me :mrgreen: ...you do fiddly much better than me!

I do hope you'll give it a whirl....I can type those "blue words" to you :roll:

Patti