Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Come out! Come out, whoever you are!!!!!

I started quilting in 2005 or 2006. Heck, I can barely remember last week. :lol: I've completed 2 queen sized quilts (1 BOM kit and 1 Bargello). I have one more (Lone Star) in the quilting stage and am in the initial design stages of a Whole Cloth quilt. I'm wanting ti incorporate some Celtic designs and my family crest into it somehow.

I first made a quilt with my mom when I was younger but I didn't actually create my own until about a year ago. Since then I've finished one more, which I'm a lot more happier with and I'm becoming increasingly interested in the craft.

I was originally drawn to quilting because I love art and I enjoy sewing. Through sewing I became interested in textiles and fabric, and then of course quilting. Now I find that it continues to interest and inspire me as quilts can be both utilitarian and artful, and sometimes they can be both.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a newbie to quilting but I feel like it when I try a new technique. Many methods, I just dream of mastering and others I am too insecure to try. When I look at some of the pictures you newbies post, I am in awe. Just keep up the good work and keep inspiring the rest of us.

I started my first quilt last month..so about one month :lol:

1 1/2 years for me! My husband's boss's wife is the wonderful lady who taught me how to make my first quilt, a log cabin design. I made four right after I was done, all queen and king sizes. Then I ventured out to lots of other patterns. All in all I've make 11 quilts, 19 quilt tops, and a bunch of wallhangings and table runners. :D

I have been a quilter at heart for the longest time but have only quilted one quilt and tied two in the last ten years. Raising a family and working has occupied most of my time.

I have always wanted to quilt -- can remember cutting up squares with blunt scissors when I was a kid and sewing them together by hand. My grandma quilted but we never had a chance for her to teach me. About 12 years ago, I made my first baby quilt and probably made 2 or 3 baby ones per year. But then I retired :D and am slowly learning new techniques and having a ball!

Started reading and collecting notions and fabrics, while still sewing garments and toys, about four years ago. Finally got up a little courage to try some blocks and such about two years ago. Then got very sick, and couldn't do anything for a long time...long to short...I am still kind of new to it, but since I read, read, and look up, etc. all the time...I feel like i am in training now, and not just 'brand new', anymore. I hope my work reflects that, lol! :D

I started quilting about two and a half years ago. My sister and I started together, but she lost interest. Three years ago my kids would have been shocked if I went to the fabric store, but now they want to go with me to see if there is any fabric they can find for the next quilt I can make them. I have started my DGD sewing and she has her own Sew Mini machine. (Just like grandmas ) Now a days if I have a day off the kids first question is "did you get to sew today mom". They know if I have sewed I am happier.

I learned how to sew from my mom 11 years ago. All of the "older ladies" in the family knit/crochet/make clothing/some form of needlework, but no one that i know of quilts.

I'm on the summer before leaving for college, and decided i wanted to take up quilting...so I started about a month ago.

I bought one of those BOM sets from Jo-Ann's, the whole set, and just started at the begining and worked my way through. took about 3 weeks to piece the whole thing together (83" square quilt top!) and my mom has since decided my birthday/channukkah gift from her is having the quilting professionally done at the local shop...which im fine with, because its huge and i have a small machine, and wont have the time to get a large quilt quilted by hand in a remotely timely fashion, what with starting school soon and all.

SO...now im making a lap-ish sized quilt top, doing all the piecing by machine before i leave for school in 3 weeks (i hope!) and my plan is so hand quilt it throughout the fall term, to hopefully give to the boy for christmas.

I learned how to sew from my mom 11 years ago. All of the "older ladies" in the family knit/crochet/make clothing/some form of needlework, but no one that i know of quilts.

I'm on the summer before leaving for college, and decided i wanted to take up quilting...so I started about a month ago.

I bought one of those BOM sets from Jo-Ann's, the whole set, and just started at the begining and worked my way through. took about 3 weeks to piece the whole thing together (83" square quilt top!) and my mom has since decided my birthday/channukkah gift from her is having the quilting professionally done at the local shop...which im fine with, because its huge and i have a small machine, and wont have the time to get a large quilt quilted by hand in a remotely timely fashion, what with starting school soon and all.

SO...now im making a lap-ish sized quilt top, doing all the piecing by machine before i leave for school in 3 weeks (i hope!) and my plan is so hand quilt it throughout the fall term, to hopefully give to the boy for christmas. unless i keep it for myself and just lovingly share it with him (weve been together all through highschool, im okay with putting the emotional investment into it...at least a quilt he'll use...hes afraid to wear my hand knit socks for fear of ruining them...silly boy.)

oh, and im doing the forever yours design by Annette Ornelas. and im loving it.

I had always wanted to learn to make a quilt. I always said "when I retire" well I guess there was no time like the present. A couple years ago a friend that I also work with had quilted for years and said, "pick out a simple quilt (wallhanging) and I will help you pick material, and I will show you the ins and outs". She did and I love it. I go in spurts, I work like a crazy person until a project is finished, then burn out for awhile. I have been in the burn out mode for a couple weeks. Time to get started again though. I have material for a lap quilt for my mom for Christmas.

I am very new to quilting - always wanted to learn but didn't know where to start. Went on a bus outing and just happened to sit across a table at lunch from quilters who invited me to join their guild. I have been in it for a year now. First thing we did was a round robin and I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot with that first project. Still learn something at every meeting too. Love reading the posts here and have been printing out all the different instructions on quilting - have them in a binder at home. Still haven't really quilted anything but I know I will finish something one of these days.

JW

How fortunate I am that my Grandma taught me to sew. As soon as I was tall enough (around 7 or 8 I think) she taught me to sew on her treadle sewing machine. Later I took Home Ec in school and then a few classes with Cooperative Extension. One Christmas I received a portable electric machine that I sewing on for many, many years. I made many of my own clothes when I worked. I sewed for my daughter when she was little and again in high school & college. I've made everything from suits, to a wedding gown, cocktail dresses, window treatments, cushions and now quilts.

A friend started to quilt in 2001 and got me interested. I signed up for 8 weeks of classes at a local quilt shop in 2002 and I was on my way. I love to sew - I find it very relaxing and stress free. Now I make quilts, American Girl doll clothes and clothing for my 5 year old twin grand daughters. My current projects are twin sized bed quilts for my granddaughters plus some school clothing for them. What fun I am having!

I've been quilting about 2 years now and am so in love with it. Everything from planning the project to putting the binding on. Started doing cross stitch and embroidery when I was a teenager and had always loved quilts but never thought I'd have the patience for it - still working on that patience. I've been practicing my free-motion quilting to get better at it.

One year. My grandmother made beautiful quilts and won grand prize at the county fair one year for her double wedding ring. My aunt also makes beautiful quilts. I always wanted to learn and then took a non-credit course at our local community college. Now, if I'm not quilting, I'm thinking about quilting. I love it. I feel as if I was born to quilt.

Hi all, I'm a newbie too (I guess...see the rest of the story)...Quilted my first quilt for a gift for my Mom (machine pieced & hand quilted...probably queen size) about 30 yrs ago, if you can call that newbie. Made my 2nd quilt (all machine done) 60"x60" for friend's new baby about 2 yrs ago. But I've sewn off & on all my life...well, since grade school. Am now SO EXCITED about quilting & just bought the fabric (hardly any stash) for a king sz quilt for our bed. DH is SO SWEET, just bought me a longarm. Supposed to be shipped tomorrow....don't know WHERE we can put it! But we'll find some place FOR SURE!

Thanks for letting me share. Ramona in Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by ramonasct
    Hi all, I'm a newbie too (I guess...see the rest of the story)...Quilted my first quilt for a gift for my Mom (machine pieced & hand quilted...probably queen size) about 30 yrs ago, if you can call that newbie. Made my 2nd quilt (all machine done) 60"x60" for friend's new baby about 2 yrs ago. But I've sewn off & on all my life...well, since grade school. Am now SO EXCITED about quilting & just bought the fabric (hardly any stash) for a king sz quilt for our bed. DH is SO SWEET, just bought me a longarm. Supposed to be shipped tomorrow....don't know WHERE we can put it! But we'll find some place FOR SURE!

Thanks for letting me share. Ramona in Mobile
    Oh you are so lucky -- Getting a long arm -- how special is that???

Maybe you need to take out entire kitchen to make room:roll: :roll:

I started quilting when my children were young to make them quilts for their beds..that was in the days when you cut with a scissors and marked everything..I let it lapse for some years and now I am retired yeaaaah...

I have been into cross stitching for some years but decided it was time to go back to the quilting...WELL there are rotary cutters? rulers? templates and patterns galore..quilt shock...however there are also absolutely beautiful fabrics and colours...and easy patterns for beginners like me...

I have been quilting now for 2 years with lots of classes and lots of research on the computer and I now have tons of fabric and patterns and usually don't know what to try first.

I have done 2 small quilts for my grandchildren and am looking forward to doing some bags in the near future...

I howled when I read your reply! That's a GREAT IDEA! Hmmmm...wonder what DH will say......I HAVE thought of taking over the living room since we never use it and moving my sewing room in there! Not many use the front door anyway!

Ramona in Mobile

My grandmother taught me to sew when I was little kid, 60+ years ago. I didn't play dolls but I sure had well dressed cats and they even had a little quilt. I lost count over the years of the quilts I've made and gave away and even sold a few. There isn't enough time in the day for all the neat quilt projects. Welcome Newbies, your life will never be the same!

My grandmother taught me to sew when I was little kid, 60+ years ago. I didn't play dolls but I sure had well dressed cats and they even had a little quilt. I lost count over the years of the quilts I've made and gave away and even sold a few. There isn't enough time in the day for all the neat quilt projects. Welcome Newbies, your life will never be the same!

Blog Entries
    HI I made my first quilt in Feb.I took a class on making a take 5 .I was down sized in Feb and figured that was the sign to start working on quilts for my kids ,grandkids ,and greatgrandkids. The first great grand will be here March 8th 2010. I have been collecting quilt mags and pattern for a long time.I Use to make all my childrens clothing when they were small and wedding ,bridesmaids dresses and prom and dance dresses Have always sewn but quilting is were i want to be right now. And i have truly enjoyed and learned so much from all of you.Big pat on the back to all of you. Sandy :D

I started quilting last summer by making a quilted door hanger for my mother's assisted living room door. Soon after that I went to a funeral for my friend's grandmother. The family had hung her quilts all over the church alter, steps, rails, etc. I was very touched to see her casket surrounded by many hours of her love as well as her legacy that she was leaving to her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

Soon after the funeral I went to my first quilting class and am now about to complete my second fullsize quilt. I can only hope that my family treasures my creations sometime in the future.

Kaye in Georgia

One year here. I retired last August and swore I would learn to sew. I bought a cheaper Singer machine 6 mos before retirement in anticipation! I had to read the manual to run the thing. Never sewed anything in my life. After one quilt class, I was off and running.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast