Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Come Quilt wit me Today - 8/19 (Sorry it's late!!)

Debra

Love the scrappy stars and those birds are to die for!! Can you share the site where you got those? A row of those would be great in a sampler quilt where a rectangle block is needed - instead of the usual flying geese!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Sue, your bunny is adorable.

Krista, great way to use scraps and I love the birds.

I can't quite finish the Irish Mist top today. The fabric I had picked out for the outside border is just too bright for the muted colors of the quilt. My husband and I actually both agreed on that. So I'll need to run to the quilt shop tomorrow and pick up a light peachy batik I think.
    Heather

here is the birdie tutorial: http://patcherymenagerie.blogspot.co...rd-how-to.html

The scrap quilt idea I got from some lovely poster here. I wish I could remember her name to give her the credit. Unfortunately, I don't have her post saved.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Picture of the Irish Mist quilt so far. From the Six Halves Make a Whole book.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Heather

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    My goals for today:

1. Finish a sea turtles panel that is a gift for friends moving full time to Florida. Dinner is Tuesday, so this is "must do". Currently mulling over how to quilt the borders and whether to use crystals as air bubbles in the turtules's wake.
    2. Cut strips for tumbling block mini.
    3. Cut and, I hope, sew last set of Civil WR blocks for swap. Get them ready to mail.
    4. Prepare appliqué for monthly swap block. Finish if time allows.
    5. Post picture of doll quilt Lisa sent me.
    6. Do some thread painting on the landscape I am currently working on. This needs to wait until DH goes to play golf because the appliqué foot on the zigzag machine is noisy and it is in the dining room, because the "big" machine is out in the sewing room.

Turtle quilt so far:

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    Raggiemom, you are amazing to have such a long list and stay with it. The Irish Mist quilt is wonderful. Debra, I love the scrappy stars. You all are doing amazing work.

For me, I have a baby quilt that's not needed until September 15, so I'm ahead of the game. It's just a feature fabric with log cabin type strips all on one side. I imagine there's another name for that. I'll put some more stripss on it and then put the blocks on the design wall. I also need to find a pattern for a casserole carrier for a craft workshop tomorrow. I want to make a sample today.

Thanks for the link Deb - I've pinned it.

love the tortoise!!

Got chased inside to work by rain. Neighbor came over and we were sitting on the garden bench and he said "I wonder if it will rain". A few seconds later I felt the first drop. We didn't think it would last, or be heavy and we stayed out in the rain quite a while chatting. Finally we came inside and within seconds it started pouring!!

Hmmm ... guess I can turn the sprinkler off

Back to the bunnies!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
    Hoping my thread will die quietly, now that Rachel has started the official one. So I'm cross posting my plea for help on this thread.

I just pulled out all the finished blocks for my BOM, and I discovered that I have sewed half of my connecting blocks together in mirror image Now I have to decide - redesign the quilt, or do a *lot* of ripping. Help! please look below, and tell me which you prefer. The blue/red block in the upper row is reversed in the 2 pictures. Do you like the symmetrical alternating light/dark (pic 1), or the all dark (pic 2) around the middle block?
    Is it my eyes or my brain? I cannot see the difference.

One block done. Problem is, I reinstalled my printer drivers, and forgot that the default setting on the printer is "shrink to fit". So my templates are 1/4" too small It looks like I have enough "extra" fabric on the outside edges to stretch this to a full 12" block - it just won't have sharp points on the turquoise border. Hopefully it will still look OK, because I don't have enough fabric to redo this one.

Now I need a break from paper piecing, so I think I'll jump to the end of my list for today, and piece the backing for a quilt to go onto the longarm.

Name:  P8190263.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  214.2 KB

Irishrose, here is a pattern for a casserole carrier that I'm planning to make my mother for Christmas.

http://karenscraftyworld.blogspot.co...rier-in-6.html

Heather
    Heather

I'm practicing today -- making one block of a NY Beauty. But I may try to change it up a bit.
    Name:  imagejpeg_2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  30.9 KB

Almost forgot all about this......just got back from a long bike ride. Someone has to hold the back of that motorcycle down and point out the ice cream stands..........Before the day is through, I need to bind a lap quilt for my best friend's birthday. Will post when it's done.

Blog Entries
    Raggiemom, thank you. It's perfect. I had found a similar one, but it used D rings. As these are to be sold for a profit for mission work, the cloth rings will keep costs down. I want to make a few flat fold up ones for 9X13s, to, but I can find a pattern for that easily.

I finished the Scattered Roses quilt top from the Accent of Angles book (I don't know why they call it that, it only works if you use rose fabric!). After supper, I may sandwich the quilt. I think I need to sew together a few pieces of batting though. The second picture is of my helper, Selkie. Quilting with Mommy is exhausting!

Heather

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    This is my progress on thread painting the landscape. Squared it up and then realized that the tree still needs some more "sunlit" sections on it, but already put the zigzag machine away, so they will be straighht stitch. This will be the first time I tried to free motion on my Janome, so we will see how it goes. The grass really isn't quite that wonky, but the thread caught the light and it really stands out, so you can see all the "issues".

Raggiemom, the Irish Mist is just beautiful, and krista, those blocks will look good no matter how you put them together.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Everyone's work looks wonderful. I had family show up and so I didn't get much done besides all my fabric washed and ironed. DH is going to grill so I can at least get my binding started. I can do the hand sewing on that watching TV after dinner. That will probably be my big accomplishment for the day. I feel like such a slacker when I see what you have all accomplished!
    You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Those who wish to sing, always find a song. ~Swedish Proverb

Let me vent....sigh....I am making a good friend a quilt and i'm so frustrated that the fabrics I originally have picked out aren't going together as envisioned. I have switched out 2 already - happy w/ one and not the other. That one will get switched out for the 3rd time. This is getting too expensive!!! Now to figure out what to do w/ this extra fabric. I don't like lots in my stash because I see it as money sitting on the shelf that I can't spend.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

If you make lap quilts to donate, you can practice new designs with a purpose.

This has been fun! For the first time I think, I got everything done on my list. I didn't have the right sized batting for the Accent on Angles quilt so will wait until I get to Joanns for that. So I prepped the Nifty Nines holiday table runner and the spiral Christmas tree skirt that I'm planning to work on tomorrow. Looking forward to our next one. Although come to think of it, I probably won't be able to do that one as already have plans for 9/16 and 9/23. And my in-laws may be here 9/30! Weekends will go by quickly in September I guess.

Thanks for setting this up Rachel
    Heather

Blog Entries
    I finally chose a backing for my red & purple twister project, added a 1" purple border on the top, then sandwiched it and started SID with my sewing machine. I'm not far from finishing, but stopped because it was time to eat dinner. Then will form the binding. I made the backing a bit larger than the top, so I'll probably just use the extra and fold it over toward the front.
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Blog Entries
    I'm back! I had to go to my MIL's apartment to let her dog out while she is gone for the day. As I was walking Windsor, another woman was walking her 2 dogs and one of them got loose and made a beeline for Windsor. As I was scooping Windsor up, the bigger dog lunged at Windsor and got him by the neck, pulling him out of my arms. Windsor was able to get loose from the bigger dog but slipped his collar and took off running. Spent quite a while looking for Windsor and then having him checked out. No injuries, thank God! So, needless to say, I have lost my mojo for anything else today. I'm gonna check out the board for a little bit then go watch some TV and relax. Didn't get my quilt binding sewed on but hey, I've got until Thursday nite to get it done!!!! I will be ready to go on the next VQD, that's for sure. Everyone looks like they have had a productive day and some beautiful things are in the making!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Had daughter home from college today. We went to a bridal shower and then I had to cook dinner. Now, watching Big Brother before my daughter heads back. I don't get to quilt today, but I have a dude rag cut out for my husband that I need to stitch up. About three years ago, I made up about 10 dude rags for family and friends who rode motorcycles. Well, when my husband went to Sturgis, they rode thru some states without helmets and off blew his dude rag twice. I was not crazy about him riding without a helmet anyway, but then he lost two dude rags...uh!

I'll post picture when I'm done.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    So sorry I missed the invite. Funny though, I was thinking about the next virtual Q day while I was sewing today.

I am working on finishing another UFO. Doing the happy dance to as I get closer to the finish of this one. As always i will share when complete. HAve a great week everyone.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I'm happy to report I actually got to sew a little today. I've been cleaning and re-organizing my sewing room for a month and today I just couldn't continue. I was able to cut the sashing, cornerstones, and sitting triangles for a quilt. And actually sewed a couple of rows together.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    I did get a quilt finished. I had been finished with the quilting a while, but putting off the binding until I had more experience with it. I squared a quilt for the first time too. And with the help of my crusty, trusty iron and some Elmers glue, I finally got it sewed on. That took much longer than I thought it would. I clipped all the threads off the back and realized that there were some spots that needed more quilting, so I went back in and finished that. It was about 8 o'clock when I finished and I just didn't feel like dragging another project out, so I called it a day!

You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast