Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Complex quilting patterns >

Complex quilting patterns

Complex quilting patterns

Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
This is a serious question. If a person can't draw (Me!) is there any hope of them becoming a decent quilter? I can barely sign my name legibly let alone draw a motif!
Absolutely! You can trace a design. If you have access to a photocopy shop they can enlarge or reduce designs to the size you need and then you can trace it. You can get an overhead projector that enlarges and pin your quilt on the wall, project your design on to the quilt, trace it then follow the line quilting. Well placed loops like lower case cursive L's and cursive E's make great fillers as do back and forth lines. Pebbling is nothing more than a bunch of circles butted up against each other and I think they look better when they are all different sizes. Do not under estimate the power of texture several narrowly spaced squiggly lines give. Stencils are great and I use them regularly.

If you can trace then follow the drawn line with your needle (either LA or DSM) if you can place a squiggly line in between two straight lines, if you can make a loop or a circle (even lopsided) you can be not only a decent quilter but a great one!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:43 AM

As I have a robotic system, I use ProQ Designer to lay out my patterns. Then I print it and write down any certain info I need such as sizes of each particular pattern, where the jump starts and how to match up sections if unique. This gives me a complete layout so I have an idea what it will look like when I'm done.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Absolutely! You can trace a design. If you have access to a photocopy shop they can enlarge or reduce designs to the size you need and then you can trace it. You can get an overhead projector that enlarges and pin your quilt on the wall, project your design on to the quilt, trace it then follow the line quilting. Well placed loops like lower case cursive L's and cursive E's make great fillers as do back and forth lines. Pebbling is nothing more than a bunch of circles butted up against each other and I think they look better when they are all different sizes. Do not under estimate the power of texture several narrowly spaced squiggly lines give. Stencils are great and I use them regularly.

If you can trace then follow the drawn line with your needle (either LA or DSM) if you can place a squiggly line in between two straight lines, if you can make a loop or a circle (even lopsided) you can be not only a decent quilter but a great one!
This is a great reply. I just want to add one thing. IF you DON'T have access to a printer that enlarges a design, this is what you may do: trace your design then fold this paper into segments (i.e. in half (both ways) in half again etc.). When you have several segments, choose or tape papers together the increased size that you want. Then fold this paper as closely to the same pattern as the traced pattern. Then you can draw the lines that you see in each "box" onto your larger paper. I hope that this is clear, if not PM and I will try to go into more detail. I learned this system in art class years ago. It has always worked for me. Good luck! Yolanda Wood River
Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 PM

LOL, Mitch's mom, I'm with you. As I was reading "feline fenatics" response, my mind went "wow", then came your's. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I know I will never be a LA'er.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:57 PM

Also, have you checked your local library to see if they have any long arm quilting pattern books? Mine has a couple and a design you like you can photocopy and adjust to what's needed. Plus there are some websites that have free patterns you can download. I mark the spacing for designs. That helps so much. I'm still learning and have a long way to go!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:12 AM

I start with a sketch, take pictures each roll and make notes. Also, remind yourself to flip the bottom/opposite border if it is directional. Lol. Glad I forgot on my own n not a customer quilt. Now I put a sticky note that says rotate borders right where I will notice it.