Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Computer quilting >

Computer quilting

Computer quilting

Old 11-07-2014, 03:36 PM

Tartan, I would have about 60+ unquilted quilt tops if i didn't have my pcquilter. Aside from the "no patience, not an artist" factors, my fibromyalgia and arthritis would make it impossible to hand quilt even a baby quilt - the pain would just be overwhelming.

The main thing with anything I do for fun is to enjoy it. That's what I do.

However, I do admire hand piecing and quilting and admire those who have both the patience and the ability to do it, and do it well!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:50 PM

I appreciate the different viewpoints, but what really bugs me is that so many quilt shows and exhibits do not yet differentiate. Several years ago, for example, the Billings Farm Museum exhibit in VT just used the name of the person submitting the quilt without saying that it was machine quilted by a professional. Now they require that both sewist and quilter meet the criteria for entry and both names are posted. However, they do not say whether it was "roboquilted" or if the quilter hand guided the machine. My own guild is the same. I've been trying to get them to make that distinction and am interested in how other shows describe the two techniques.
I am not perfect and know I am a long way from being a prize winner. I accept my limitations and enjoy the process as my skills grow. But it really bugs me to have my quilt next to one that was quilted not just ON a machine, but BY a machine which does not have human hands guiding it. The two should be properly identified so those who do wonderful hand guiding or free motion can be appreciated and not compared against those done by a computerized process. Both are fine, just as hand and machine are fine, they just should be labeled for what they are. Usually an experienced quilter can tell the difference, but the average person just sees something perfect next to something with irregularities. Just my opinion.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:29 PM

I agree they should be in different categories!
Old 11-07-2014, 05:07 PM

Tartan, I have done exactly the same thing at a quilt show. My interest area is doing my own individual fmq on my dsm and I don't have the desire to have a computerized quilting set up. I don't dislike the computerized quilting design as much as I feel it's not "my thing" nor is hand quilting, etc. There are "nitches" in everything and it's OKAY to have our favorites (or not!) For me, the quilt covered in computerized quilting design feels more commercial, too predictable, and I suppose too unattainable for me! (so maybe I'm really just jealous???) ha, ha. Anyway, Tartan, you are not alone in this one!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:24 PM

I know that I am a beginner and have less then zero experience in quilting and quilt shows but I wonder...........isn't this a hobby that deals with the persons love of fabric and colour. Art is different for everyone. Your feeling for what you accomplish is all that should matter.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:35 PM

I use a computerised long arm machine, and put every ounce of care and love I can into a quilt. I think each to their own. Some may think paper piecing is cheating, because you work off a template, other may argue that appliqué should be judged differently, because you sew a shape on top. Appliqué by machine is different to hand sewing, which is different to turned... I think there is room for everything, but most certainly agree that there should be many, many more categories in a quilt show. I feel we shouldn't compare and measure two very different methods when they both have different skills required.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
I know there is skill involved but I don’t care for computerized quilting – if I wanted my design (quilt) to be a perfect reproduction I would buy it that way not build it.
If you buy it, still, someone had to make it.

Cari
Old 11-08-2014, 04:09 AM

I admire all types of quilting, but this is what I hate is when a quilter doesn't say that it was done with a computer quilter. I don't care what kind of quilting you do but if it was done on a computer the quilter should tell everyone. I did lots of practice to freehand, when I first started I could barely draw a stick figure, I strictly did pantos and then people were wanting custom and I figured I better start learning and practicing if I wanted my business to expand. With lots of practice I persevered. There are times I would love a computer on my Machine but I could never justify it or afford one.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

This is such an interesting thread. It reminds me of the old days in the early 90s when machine quilting was just beginning to bloom but many quilters snub there noses at any quilt that was quilted by machine. People were always curious with my avatar quilt winning so many of the awards if the quilting was done by hand or by machine. I matched my threads carefully so no one could see what I had used. So only time will tell how these computerize quilting is judged in 10 years. I do agree with you Tartan I prefer seeing someone's "hands on" quilting skills.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dclutter64 View Post
I own a computerized quilting machine. There are so many different patterns you can buy or you can digititize your own. I do both. I also use it free hand. It takes just as much artistic talent to apply a computerized quilt design on a custom quilt as anything else. By the way it is a lot of work also. Digitizing a design can take days or weeks to do. Applying it on the quilt takes a lot of time to set up.

Many computerized designs were adapted from other non computerized designs. You can always take the concept or a part of the design you see and adapt it to your needs. That is what I did when I machine quilted on my domestic.

I think a lot depends on what you are interested in at the time. One day it isn't of interest and another day it will be. That happens to me a lot! Just depends on where you are in your learning cycle.
I agree with you Dclutter64, It's all about your personal preferences one person may like hand quilted items only!! someone may like a computer assisted quilt. It still a lot of work either way and one should not discredit either because they feel it does not take any skills to me that is Just Wrong, I love all aspects of the quilting processes and feel that if we don't like something then that's ok it's just not what you like. Move on.... )