Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Computerized Featherweight >

Computerized Featherweight

Computerized Featherweight

Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clsurz
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I think it is really neat and the fact that it has 66 decorative stitches built right into such a small package amazes me. I still want to see the autopilot in motion!

Billy
Go to hsn. com and view the video.
Sweet I shall!! (this should be really neat :D )

Billy
Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 PM

Billy, you do so much for everyone on this board, the least we can do is "enable" you to check out a new machine!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DonnaC
Billy, you do so much for everyone on this board, the least we can do is "enable" you to check out a new machine!
LOL That is really sweet of you Donna :lol:

Billy
Old 06-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

I just watched the video and it is really neat what all it can do. Its like a 500A with out the hassle of cams and the bulkiness of the machine. I wish that they used the auto pilot feature (which I think is really neat) and showed more of the feet that they used to do certain embellishments. But if I was really into the newer machines and electricity :lol: I would like to have this little buggar just because of everything you can do with it. Looks like a great machine to take to classes for sure!

True it is not the "Real" Featherweight but that is not even a fair comparison to the machine that has the name now. Its like comparing a Model T Ford to a brand new Ford Taurus not even in the same category.

And this is coming from the guy that lives and dies by the treadle and vintage machines!!!

Billy
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by clsurz
Originally Posted by featherweight
Very lite weight. Sure doesn't compare to the older featherweihgts. It will be great for you to take to classes. Enjoy your new machine...
Doesn't compare how?
All plastic parts. No plastic parts in the original Featherweight!!!
Virtually NO throat space, either. That would be too confining for me.

I wish they wouldn't use the classic names on new machines-- just creates a lot of confusion. I'm sure it's meant to use the popularity of the old ones to sell the new.
I have the old Bernina 830 and still can't stand that they named a new machine "830" too. Crazy. Now I have to call my 830 by it's FULL name, which I have never done before: Bernina Record 830, just to differentiate it from the new one.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

Well I think she has a wonderful little machine and I think the company did a very good job making it user friendly especially for those with disabilities. And honestly the throat space looks to be the same if not bigger than the original. I think because it is "C" shaped that it looks to be smaller than it really is.

But you have to admit that the "C" throat would make it a lot easier to work with larger pieces like place mats and so forth when your quilting them. I can not tell you how many times I have to stop and roll my material up when I get to close to the throat on my 15 when I am FMQing, its like hitting a brick wall. I have thought several times about making some sort of piece to put next to my throat to help make my material curl or roll as I quilt.

Trust me it takes a lot to impress me with any new fangled sewing machine, and I am a purist through and through. But this is no different than Dodge putting out the new Challenger or Ford with the Shelby Mustang.

Same company, Same name, Same car, Different technology.

Billy
Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM

Well I think she has a wonderful little machine and I think the company did a very good job making it user friendly especially for those with disabilities. And honestly the throat space looks to be the same if not bigger than the original. I think because it is "C" shaped that it looks to be smaller than it really is.

But you have to admit that the "C" throat would make it a lot easier to work with larger pieces like place mats and so forth when your quilting them. I can not tell you how many times I have to stop and roll my material up when I get to close to the throat on my 15 when I am FMQing, its like hitting a brick wall. I have thought several times about making some sort of piece to put next to my throat to help make my material curl or roll as I quilt.

Trust me it takes a lot to impress me with any new fangled sewing machine, and I am a purist through and through. But this is no different than Dodge putting out the new Challenger or Ford with the Shelby Mustang.

Billy
I wish we could like post (sort of like on facebook) because I would like this post Billy.

I too have ms and have to drag my machine to quilt club once a month and I got to tell you some times it really is difficult to pick them up. This machine looks super cute! If I had the money I would consider getting this and I like vintage machine but this one looks cute and has a lot of features
Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts

Billy
I wish we could like post (sort of like on facebook) because I would like this post Billy.

I too have ms and have to drag my machine to quilt club once a month and I got to tell you some times it really is difficult to pick them up. This machine looks super cute! If I had the money I would consider getting this and I like vintage machine but this one looks cute and has a lot of features
I am telling you the company got it right with this machine. Only time will tell if the processor will live for long, or if it will fall apart around itself but from what I can see they really nailed it. I do not think you could go wrong with this purchase.

Billy
Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 PM

I have an old Featherweight, and it's great for what it is, but I sure could get some fun out that new one, too. I saw it in the Jo-Ann's ad, and resisted only out of financial considerations. I'm sure you'll get years of use out it it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with them capitalizing on past triumphs by recycling the name "Featherweight", as long as they have built this product to live up to that reputation. Only time will tell.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts

Billy

to Abbeyquilt:

I often do a copy and paste into MS Word when there is something I want to keep from this board. Don't know if you had thought of doing that or not. I keep pictures of quilts I really like that way, too. Just an idea.