Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cone Thread >

Cone Thread

Cone Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 AM

My husband made me a thread stand, took him a few minutes (under 10) and didn't cost us anything, because he used project scraps.

He took a piece of wood as a base, drilled a hole into it and put a thick dowel up, then put a round stopper to hold the cone on. We then used two hooks to thread the thread through. It works like a charm.

Cones are so much more affordable.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 AM

I put mine in a cup and bring the thread up over the machine from the back and don't have any problems.

If you still want a cone holder you can take a wooden paper towel holder and put spindles on the wooden base and the on the top of the dowel that would hold the paper screw in little eyelets to run the thread thru. Very cheap thread holder.

Last edited by romanojg; 07-16-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 AM

I have one of the heavy metal thread holders but the thread didn't lay right so the tension was wrong so I did what several others have already suggested...taped a safety pin to the end of my sewing machine. It works great and when I FMQ I almost never have to readjust the tension.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 AM

I agree with chips88 and these do work but I have two of those metal holders (heavy bottoms) I ordered from some catalog and they hold the cone thread up in the air as there is a thing at top to hold the thread that is going into the machine. I am sure they still make these things but don't get the plastic base ones or arms as they are not stable enough if you are sewing fast. But do be careful if that thread is old...if you can break a piece of thread easily it is not a good idea to use it for a quilt.

Originally Posted by chips88 View Post
i use a piece of pine board 3x 7x 1 drilled a hole. and used a dowel . and my big spools work like charm.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by granny216 View Post
But do be careful if that thread is old...if you can break a piece of thread easily it is not a good idea to use it for a quilt.
I test 4 of the ones that I have. They all break pretty easily. Is there anything else I can use them for, rather than throwing them away? I'd hate to use them for something and have problems with it.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
I test 4 of the ones that I have. They all break pretty easily. Is there anything else I can use them for, rather than throwing them away? I'd hate to use them for something and have problems with it.

Use it for basting, the only thing old thread is good for.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:55 PM

I use the cone on my machine without any problem, by placing it on the thread peg upside down
Old 07-20-2012, 06:16 PM

I use it for wallhangings, basting.. any thing that will be temporary or not have any stress.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:10 AM

It's funny, that's what my 8 yo daughter suggested. lol I wasn't sure I could use a bobbin in the place for a regular spool of thread.
I always wind mine off onto bobbins. That way I can use them either as the top thread or the bobbin thread.