Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cone Thread >

Cone Thread

Cone Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:40 AM

Default Cone Thread

I was given some cone thread. I read on here that you could use a CD spindle if your machine didn't have a machine with a thread holder built in. I tried that, but I'm having problems with it being too tight. When I use my machines thread cutter my needle comes unthreaded. I'm tired of having to thread again and again. Are there any other tricks or should I just buy a cone thread holder?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

sometimes when i'm having trouble i place the cone in a cup next to (or behind depends on how your machine guides are)
also i have threaded bobbins- then used the bobbins on the spool spindle & used them as if they are a regular spool of thread.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
also i have threaded bobbins- then used the bobbins on the spool spindle & used them as if they are a regular spool of thread.
It's funny, that's what my 8 yo daughter suggested. lol I wasn't sure I could use a bobbin in the place for a regular spool of thread.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:23 AM

I've never used the cones but have heard that if you put the cone in a cup and then thread your machine as you would a spool it should work. I HAVE used bobbins many times for the spool just to use up the thread and to empty the bobbin.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:35 AM

i use a piece of pine board 3x 7x 1 drilled a hole. and used a dowel . and my big spools work like charm.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

My machine Brother 1500 sometimes comes unthreaded when using the thread cutter. I by pass the top thread guide (the one with the three holes) or just use one hole and that solved the problem of the thread having too much tension for the cutter. Maybe you could skip a guide before the tension assembly. The best thread stand I have found is this one: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...thread-holder/ Sometimes Nancy Notions has them on sale but it's so good I'd buy it at full price. This stand will allow thread to be vertical or horizontal.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
It's funny, that's what my 8 yo daughter suggested. lol I wasn't sure I could use a bobbin in the place for a regular spool of thread.
If you wind the lower bobbin and the bobbin to be used on the spool spindle at the same time, you will always know just how much thread is on your bobbin while sewing. This is really a plus when you are quilting and you will never run out of bobbin thread while quilting! I've used this method many times and love it.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 PM

I've never put a cone of thread in cup. I never figured out the reasoning for that since they stand up by themselves. I have taped a safety pin with the eye end up and threaded my thread thru that. Now I have a thread stem from Clotilde. It's less than 4 bucks and doesn't take up any extra space.

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...ia=thread+stem
Old 07-16-2012, 06:03 AM

I would just get a thread stand, WM sells them, LQS, Joanns, Hancocks, all sell them and they are not that expensive. I have a couple of them, got them at the Hancock 1/2 off with coupon sale. You can use any type of thread cone on them and they sit behind your machine out of the way. JMHO
Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 AM

Hi Everyone, I put my cone in a mason jar then I taped a closed safety pin to the back of my machine then I passed the thread through the small rounded hole and threaded my machine as normal. It works perfectly and I have no problems.