Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty! >

Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty!

Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty!

Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM

No, No, No, No, No. Police! Quilting Police!? :shock: :cry: :oops: :roll: Well... They don't seem to be showing up. I guess it was a perfect crime. LOL Honestly, they are our quilts I think we are free to do with them whatever we choose.

I have never thrown one away. I have ended up with a few that I didn't like when finished but I figure one person's ugly is another person's beauty and I donate the ones that I don't like. There have been many happy posts about the treasures found in Goodwill or garage sales. "Misfit" quilts always find someone to love them.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:53 PM

Sometimes it's better to go on and finish the offending quilt, then give it to an organization that will use it...I've given the shelter pups some that I wouldn't have kept...but you know what? They loved them! And what's more important is that I didn't feel so bad giving it away...just sayin'... ;)
Old 08-27-2011, 06:09 PM

I did a D9P which turned out awful. Luckily I discovered how ugly is was before I cut the 9 patch. Makes great pieces for experimenting with or cutting for piecing.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 PM

I don't like doing mystery quilts for this very reason. It is too bad your instructor wasn't more gracious and gave you some clue.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
No, No, No, No, No. Police! Quilting Police!? :shock: :cry: :oops: :roll: Well... They don't seem to be showing up. I guess it was a perfect crime. LOL Honestly, they are our quilts I think we are free to do with them whatever we choose.

I have never thrown one away. I have ended up with a few that I didn't like when finished but I figure one person's ugly is another person's beauty and I donate the ones that I don't like. There have been many happy posts about the treasures found in Goodwill or garage sales. "Misfit" quilts always find someone to love them.
Yes, this is what happened....Today there was a quilt sale.
and this -shall I say "unloved" quilt was in it!
The story is this....I have a friend who just loves to sit at her machine and sew and sew and sew just humming away!
This uses up a lot of fabric, so I used to give her boxes of all my scraps. Once in a while she would give me a top. Recently I found one of those random scrappy out of the bag quilt tops that she had made, and that I had forgotten I had. It was a well sewed log cabin. I confess log cabins are not my favorite pattern, and although it had bright scraps in it, the combination of mostly dark colors -greens and browns with off whites and random muddy pastel light prints, with a light yellow centers and other random shades of yellows seemed to me to say "EEEEEuuuuuu!" "Ugly"! I decided to give it a chance, and threw it over the sofa to allow me to contemplate it - and the longer it was there, the more I hated it. So I resolved to give it away and took it to the next guild sew day, and and every one there said - "You are wrong! It is beautiful!!!" But I still tried to give it away to a long arm quilter friend. She said to me - If you will give me the backing, I will longarm it, and if you will sew the binding on, we will put it in the upcoming quilt sale together and split the money equally.... So the quilt sale was today!!!
I do not know if the quilt was sold or not.
I will tell you this, though, if it didn't (and it was a good bargain) the quilt is going to HER HOUSE!!!!

I hope you laughed too!
Jeannie
Old 08-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Only one that I actually threw away, a bargello. I don't think I will ever do one again. Nothing matched up, it was all wonky no matter what I did.

I also have a mystery that I hate, but haven't thrown it out. I keep hoping I will think of a way to save it. Should probably just toss it.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 PM

I like to do mystery quilts. One thing I learned is look at the amount of yardage that is required. If you have a fabric you love and want to use a lot of it in your quilt, then when you look at the list of yardage amounts, you will need to use it for the largest amount of fabric required. Does this make sense? Usually when a good teacher sends out yardage requirements for a mystery, they will suggest a fabric type, i.e. "a small print with not too much open space," or "your accent fabric should be across the color wheel from your fabric A," etc. If they give you clues, you will usually be more successful with your quilt.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:40 AM

I would have a hard time throwing it out. Why not donated to a children hospital . I think any thing would brighten their day & it may make you feel better also.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:44 AM

I think you were wise to not spend precious time on something you did not like. I gave away a mystery quilt in pieces to another quilt friend who loved it and finished it. At least it went to a good home.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:21 AM
gus

I have a kit I call the Quilt from hell. Bad pattern direction and they changed the fabrics and yardage don't add up right Still setting in a bag My sister said to give it to her and she will try do it.....