Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
considering a featherweight... >

considering a featherweight...

considering a featherweight...

Old 06-28-2014, 06:05 AM

I love my Featherweight! I use it to sew on most of the time for my piecing. It is easy to clean, oil, lube and maintain. Loads of information on the internet. I have Dave McCallums DVD and it is awesome. I also have a 301-A in a cabinet and love it too. I have a Bernina Artista that can do all the fancy things I want to do - but I think I sew more on the Featherweight. I bought mine from e-bay and have been thrilled with it. Some people are lucky and find one for $20-$40 but I don't regret the $350.00 I paid for mine.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:45 AM

I love mine. It just sews such a good straight stitch. I'm going to take it to a workshop in mid July and can't wait.

Susan
Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 AM

www.novamontgomery.com is a wonderful site for information about FWs

I have a QB contact who restores FWs. My FW came from this person. PM me if you are interested in the name.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:35 AM

*** I have a FW and a 301A and I love them equally.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:02 AM

If you are wanting a FW because it is a FW, be prepared to pay more than you would for another machine that you might be wanting--I am like many of the ladies here who love the 301 as much as their FW, but it is still a 301, not a FW. Bite the bullet and buy one--one will lead to another (I have 5 now and the prices have ranged from $25 to $300). You will LOVE it, especially if you are accustomed to using only a straight stitch sewing machine. I hate it that people take advantage of the fact that they are "selling a FW because I know it is a collectible item" but that is the way of today's mentality. $50 is a good reasonable price for someone to ask for a machine the age and abilities of a FW, but that is only my opinion. I wouldn't sell one of mine for less than $200, with it in perfect condition and pretty and clean--but I'm not selling. JMHO. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I have one that looks great, came in the original carrying case with several attachments, the original FW manual and was purchased at a very reasonable price. It's a mid-to-late 40's model and sews like a dream. It now sits in a closet where it has been for several months and is never used. I wanted it so bad until I got it and then I realized I really didn't want the machine, I just got caught up caught up in another person's dream of owning one. I would sell it in a minute if I could do so without hurting my husband's feelings but he was so happy that I was able to find such a nice one after looking for a long time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that "I wish I had looked ahead before I leaped" and given more thought to what I was going to do with it before I bought one.
I'm right there with you! I got excited with what everyone else said, about it being a work horse, etc. and I wanted a portable machine that I could tote around. I bought it in Ontario, Canada, my home country, for $290. Cdn. I had it for about 5 years. I named her, made her a quilted "cozy", bought a walking foot for her, did some paper piecing on her, tried to get excited about using her (she was in absolutely perfect condition), but I was just so spoiled by my Janome 6600 and missed all the bells and whistles. When I fell into about $700. Of fun money, I decided to buy a Janome 3160 WED (new) and absolutely love it. She also weighs about 11 pounds and can do almost everything my 6600 can do.

To make a long story short, after talking to a Canadian sewing machine technician, I brought my featherweight to Florida, our wintr home,so ld it on CL for $350. US, which fellow Cdns. Will know is a good deal.

I really gave it the old college try, but a featherweight just wasn't for me. PS I'm having trouble making corrections on my tablet, so I will correct it here, my new machine is a Janome 3160 QDC
Old 06-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirechat View Post
i've been thinking about getting a featherweight, does anyone have some links to some great sites with information about them? some of the stuff ive read has made the whole thing sound pretty intimidating...
Why do you want a featherweight? It seems to me that they have become a status symbol, an item of conspicuous consumption. When they work, they do make beautiful straight stitches, but you can buy a Brother at Wal Mart that will make lovely straight stitches and some pretty decorative stitches, also. And it won't weigh much more than the featherweight.

My friends who have featherweights do seem to love them, but they are always and forever working on them, fiddling with this adjustment or that adjustment.

If you do buy one, be sure that it is in good working order and that there is a machine repair person who can tune it up and keep it tuned up. And have fun with it. froggyintexas
Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 PM

I inherited 2 of my fw's. my mother taught my sisters, all their friends, and me how to sew on that little machine. my aunt was given hers but hated to sew, so it was virtually brand new when I inherited it. and then I found one on shopgoodwill.com and couldn't resist. would love a white or tan.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 PM

I love my FW -- bought it from a co-worker who 'collects' machines, and I got the case, manual, attachments, and the updated book with lots of information about it, and I suspect she went through the machine before I bought it as it runs terrific. She was built in 1937, and I named her Rose. Beautiful machine to use -- and I absolutely adore her. I also have a Husqvarna that is my work horse, and a Bernina embroidery machine that will do everything but fly. What a blessing to be able to quilt as I do, and give the quilts to others.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

They are small and cute but limited. They aren't strong machines. You will only use it for piecing. If you like to go to piecing classes, it might be a good thing to have. Otherwise, there are a lot of vintage machines that are stronger and can do more.