Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cotton/Poly Gingham - What do you do with it?

I use it to make chicken scratch quilts.

I love polycotton. It wears like iron, holds its color and is virtually idestructible. It drapes well, is easy to quilt---It makes wonderful baby quilts. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I am cleaning and reorganizing my sewing room. I came across this bundle of cotton/poly gingham and I don't know what to do with it! I have several yards of the different colors. I am at a loss as to whether I should keep it or not. What do you use cotton/poly gingham for?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I was concerned about using them in quilts because they are poly cotton - thanks for easing my mind! I had invisioned some colorful pinwheels or 1/2 square triangles. . .
    I saw a beautiful pinwheel quilt made from gingham that I wanted to make, but could never find enough different colors. Your colors would make a beautiful one. Would love to see what you decide to make.
    ~Charlotte~
    This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.

I used the ginghams in wall quilt I made for my sister by making flowers with heart shapes . Each petal was a different colored gingham and I backed it with flannel that had the same colored squares-like a patchwork. Also when I was making AG doll clothes I made plenty of "Dorothy" dresses from the blue gingham. As been said there are plenty of designs that go with the gingham. Have fun with it!
    Kathy Osterby

i smocked this for little girls dresses. held up well through MULTIPLE washings: think 5 daughters and hand-me downs

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who uses 1/4 inch for chicken scratch. I use all sizes for baby quilt fill-in blocks and sashing. Love gingham.

I see summer sleevless blouses, aprons, or kitchen or nursery curtains.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing View Post
    It is gorgeous (I'm drooling on my keyboard :-P) I can see oodles of children's quilts made out of and backed with it!
    That's my suggestion, too! I love, love, love gingham (& wish you could get it in 100% cotton!) & think it's perfect for kids' quilts!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

In answer to the question about ironing poly/cotton, it is best to use a lower setting on your iron. Whatever is the second one down, I think it is rayon maybe. Know wool is the one just lower than cotton. Test a sample to be sure.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I don't find cotton/poly a problem. It doesn't wrinkle which is nice.

How about a Twister quilt. I'd love that and so would a child.

If all else fails PM me and we can make a deal!
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Blog Entries
    perfect for chicken scratch. There is a chicken scratch quilt somewhere on the board and I remember it was beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    That's my suggestion, too! I love, love, love gingham (& wish you could get it in 100% cotton!) & think it's perfect for kids' quilts!
    I work at Hancock Fabrics. The gingham we carry now IS 100% cotton...& VERY nice quality. Last year, all our old poly/cotton gingham was put on the clearance tables.

Vat
    Little girls dresses with ruffles would be really cute. Or maybe aprons?

All of the above suggestions and you can make pillow cases to donate or dresses for little girls or little tote bags to donate to advocacy groups where children are moved from place to place. We fill them with goodies to eat when the kids are out of school.

This is a quilt done with different chicken scratch patterns. Thought you might enjoy seeing it.

Name:  Chicken Scratch.jpg
Views: 2741
Size:  44.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    Cute for bed skirts - I just hem it on all sides and then tuck it between the mattresses. Leave it longer than you need so you have enough fabric to tuck in. You can gather it by just pushing more fabric together or leave it boxed. You can change it easily if you change quilts on the bed. I use this in my guest bedroom because I like to change the quilts often and hate the bed skirts that require you to lift the whole mattress to remove. I use this method for my bedroom also.
    What a great idea for bed skirts - definitely will do this.
    Quilting in the Desert

You can use it for anything you like, and most people will think it's just wonderful. I guess the quilt police won't raise any objections if you don't enter it in a show. For me the main problem with the blend would be that I tend to iron all my quilt fabrics with the iron set on "cotton", and usually if I hit some old thing from the stash that isn't all cotton I will find out immediately because it melts at that temperature. It will pull up smaller the second the iron hits it, and I can't be bothered with that, so will either donate it or use it for non-quilt purposes. I have always loved checks and wish I knew of a source of all cotton gingham in a rainbow of colors.

Blog Entries
    Love them. make a red white and blue. make baby quilts for charity. make table runners or pillow cases or pillows mix them and make a bag to put a picnic blanket to lay on the ground.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

What a great idea to make bed skirts...out of any fabric. I have always had ones that fit over the box spring but when I I want to change them I have to get family to lift the mattress off the queen size bed. Going to make me a nice white one now to tuck between them. Why didn't I think of that? They have some with elastic sides but I really think this would hold much better on my wonderful...but heavy to lift mattress. It is a pillow top mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    Cute for bed skirts - I just hem it on all sides and then tuck it between the mattresses. Leave it longer than you need so you have enough fabric to tuck in. You can gather it by just pushing more fabric together or leave it boxed. You can change it easily if you change quilts on the bed. I use this in my guest bedroom because I like to change the quilts often and hate the bed skirts that require you to lift the whole mattress to remove. I use this method for my bedroom also.

I have a bunch, too...thanks for the ideas!

I have used the 2 sizes of checks in the same color to make the little doll with a bonnet (pattern from coltilde) I have given them to local hospitles. I have not seen any quilts used with fabric but I think flowers made with them would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Someone posted a picture of a chicken scratch quilt, it was great. I think a quilt made of different chicken scratch designs would be pretty. Chicken scratch is where you use embroidery floss to stitch on the gingham squares to form patterns like hearts, stars etc.
    Like this idea will have to try it.

I had a wonderful dress out of poly/cotton gingham (made it when I was in high school) and Grandmother cross stitched around the hem and the sleeves. I also have some great aprons she made -- all bright and cheery. My other grandmother made me several kids dresses when I was little -- and later she put the scraps into a quilt with scraps from other clothes she made me -- it held up great and teh mixture of fabrics is not an issue. If I mixed cotton and non-cotton I would shrink the cotton.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

My first thought when I saw the beautiful colors was a picnic quilt or table cloth.

http://sew4home.com/tips-resources/s...ake-wave-tucks....................

I've seen some of these tucks before, but not the angle tuck. Neat!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast