Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotton prices expected to double

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    But as a farmer's daughter I can tell you this: If the prices of cotton skyrocket the farmers will plant more of it.
    Hear hear! So right! I hadn't got that far thinking about it. Thanks.

Thats what I heard as well that prices are going up on cottons,

I don't worry so much about fabrics as there will always be places to buy them on sale. I tend to like the older collections anyway as I am not to fond of the newer bright, busy in your face patterns. My concern is my beloved King Tut thread. I already pay on sale 18.75 for 2,000 yards and believe me that is hard to find at that price. Normally it runs 24.95....you have to have thread to make a quilt and the thought of downgrading the quality of my thread makes me ill.

I guess we'll have to shop smarter and look out for sales etc.

Check out Marshalldrygoods.com for batting. I purchase it by the roll, I know 30 yards is a lot, but you will use it before you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary M
    I was shocked to see batting had raised by $2.00 per yard at Hancocks, today. How are we going to keep this hobby if prices keep increasing so much? Maybe we will have to grow our own cotton and weave it!

I read 15%, but you can bet that the commodity market will top that. I have 7 yards of a dark blue rose which I was about to give away, (isn't my particular color and don't know why I bought it) but I think I will just keep it and find a use for it. Time to use my JoAnns coupons good for a one cut of fabricl (no size limit)) especially for background fabrics.

Oh no! My whole stash fits in one (rather large) container! I will definitely run out in less than a year! I guess I need to go fabric shopping!

This is such sad news, but I have not put foot in a LQS in years around here. When I'm at a show or on a trip (Seattle) I do shop some LQS's. I made a resolution this year to use only from my stash. I've been pretty good and only bought some sales on-line about 3 times. It's more of a frabic fix than a gotta have. It's gotten pretty fun searching for fabric ~$3/yd. I don't buy it if I dont like it though. That eliminates about 1/2 the offerings in the clearance category. 8-)

Blog Entries
    What happens when the demand goes down because the price is too high? In the meantime, we will all have to use up our stash fabrics and recycle old clothes. I have already started hoarding. Maybe these will become the "utility" quilts of our generation. Personally, I do not think our quilters' cottons are by any means cheap, it is the clothing market that will suffer the most.

I think this is a conspiracy.....to get us away from our passion and go back to serving "man" HA!!...away with cotton, away with coffee, away with chocolate??......murder on the horizon!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    On my way to this board this evening, I scanned the headlines at MSN.com and saw an article about cotton prices on the rise due to low supplies and high demand. Not good news for any of us.

Well, many of us have said that we could live to be 115 before we ever used up our stash. :?
    Reminiscing about the days when I started quilting with LQS fabric and was paying "highway robbery" prices of $4 a yard.......Sigh.

One decade ago when I closed my shop in Dallas TX most of our highest prices were in the $8.25 range. Double sigh.

Now I'm in sticker shock when I upend a bolt at the LQS and see $10+ written on it. Thank God for stash!

Jan in VA

I bought a bunch of fabric panels and fabric on a rummage sale yesterday. Very reasonable prices. Had 2 grocery sacks full.

Quote Originally Posted by tcnmom
    When is the price increase coming?
    It's trickling in now. A lot of Hancocks fabric is now $11 and up.

You know how quilts can be dated due to some of the circumstances going on in the world, certain fabrics/colors weren't available during some wars, etc.? Well we as quilters may have to shift away from the 100% and become really creative in our fabric choices. A hundred or two hundred years down the road Quiltologists will look at the quilts of 2012 and say, "We can tell this was quilted between 2010 and 2015 because there was a cotton shortage which caused prices to skyrocket."
    But as a farmer's daughter I can tell you this: If the prices of cotton skyrocket the farmers will plant more of it.
    The only Hancock store or fabric store left near me (in mid-town Atlanta, GA with more than 4 Million people!) not only increased prices, they try to sell their old, old, old stocks for hugely inflated prices ($9.00 for material that's not fit for anything but maybe a night gown for a color-blind person!)

You may be happy to know that the store is empty and so is the Michael's craft store next door. Obviously, I am not the only person angry over the rip-off.

People are smart, smarter than the store managers. (I like seeing people reacting smartly to the abusive practices, I like it a lot!)

I bought 1/2 a yard of an accent material on sale because I needed exactly that amount of that fabric. I did not browse.

It's a good thing I have built my stash. Right now I will get a few more smaller needed items online and on sale. That's going to be it for many years.

People will charge what the market will bear.
    Let's not bear it.

As a quilter and a wife to a cotton farmer, all the costs incidental to growing cotton have increased dramatically over the past few years, while the price per pound we have received for our cotton is still very low. I hate paying $9.50 per yard for cotton fabric or $34.95 for a Moda layer cake that says "made in Korea".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmkaz
    As a quilter and a wife to a cotton farmer, all the costs incidental to growing cotton have increased dramatically over the past few years, while the price per pound we have received for our cotton is still very low. I hate paying $9.50 per yard for cotton fabric or $34.95 for a Moda layer cake that says "made in Korea".
    Perhaps we should all bombard the fabric makers and insist on labelling where the cotton is made. This can easily be done along the selvedge.

Quote Originally Posted by franie
    Coffee is going up too. What's next? Chocolate? LOL
    Well believe it or not on the news there was a story about some guy who practically cornered the Cacao bean market, and that is what they make chocolate from so.......yes it will go up too
    Let's start a real revolution..let's find these guys and take a way their blankets so they have to shiver in the dark. That way they will bribe us with coffee, chocolates and sale priced fabs to make they a warm blankie.

How depressing....I'll just have to buy buy buy!!!

What a shame if we have to sacrifice using quality fabric because we can't afford it anymore. I think Connecting Threads will get a lot more business if they can keep their prices affordable. Somehow I think politics is involved, that's usually the case. Thank GOD I have a stash to rely upon. Charities will also suffer, how unfortunate for the unfortunate.

It all makes me very sad.

Thanks for the info it does seem like everything is going up and never stops.

I can see where fabric at Joann's keeps going up.
    I guess I had better get to figuring on how nmuch fabric
    I will need for my next one and go purchase it soon.
    thanks again.

cassiemae
    :-o

do you think rumors like that get going to scare quilters into buying up more, fast?
    I guess time will tell.

I wonder if the supply is low because so many are farming corn for ethanol!

Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    Hear hear! So right! I hadn't got that far thinking about it. Thanks.
    I have lived through many shortages- coffee, gasoline,beef, sugar,when it seemed prices were going through the roof! But prices do seem to level off sooner or later. And next year more farmers will plant more cotton.

It's simple economics. If farmers ger more for planting corn and soy, they will devote more acres to those crops and less to cotton. So the supply of cotton diminishes and price go up because demand didn't change.

The price will drop only if one of two things happen
    1. Demand for cotton drops. I can't see that happening but it would eventually if the price kept rising.

2. Supply will go back up because farmers will now see a higher return for cotton and start planting more of it.

I am afraid that since the demand for corn as an energy source will continue to grow, every other product that is grown will become more expensive in order to compete for land. I can't imagine any other outcomes. It's market forces at work.

Boy, who knew I was actually paying attention in economics classes in college?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    On my way to this board this evening, I scanned the headlines at MSN.com and saw an article about cotton prices on the rise due to low supplies and high demand. Not good news for any of us.

Well, many of us have said that we could live to be 115 before we ever used up our stash. :?

For people who are just beginning to quilt, like myself, i do not have a "stash" yet. I barely have enough material to make even one quilt. So i feel badly for those who are just beginning this soon-to-be very expensive hobby. It reminds me of when the price of "paper products" would rise, due to the same type of problem that fabric is now having. Eventually, the price of paper settled back down - let's just hope fabric will do the same.

Blog Entries
    not me i wish i still had my stash, gave alot of it up when i got married 3 yrs ago, i'm trying to rebuild it now. maybe isneed to shop tomorrow

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast