Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cotton prices expected to double

I would pay 25.00 per yard before I would plant a cotton patch and pick it by hand again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everything seems to be going up except the paychecks or the social security. When will it stop?

I was talking to the owner of my local QS and he said that some the fabric dealers like moda and hoffman said that there was a pretty bad drought going on in China and the crops were really down and that is the reason for the increase.

Wheat...drought and fires in Russia and Egypt let it rot in the fields. Great way to drive the prices up. My investment advisor says it is a good time to buy bullets and beans (ha-ha)

Quote Originally Posted by franie
    Coffee is going up too. What's next? Chocolate? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kellen46
    Well believe it or not on the news there was a story about some guy who practically cornered the Cacao bean market, and that is what they make chocolate from so.......yes it will go up too
    Let's start a real revolution..let's find these guys and take a way their blankets so they have to shiver in the dark. That way they will bribe us with coffee, chocolates and sale priced fabs to make they a warm blankie.
    Not a bad idea, but those 'traders' sleep under a blanket not made from cotton but from money, and that warms pretty well.

Luckily, they also live in a house of cards:

People in third world countries where they make all those nice goodies like cotton fabrics for pennies a pound
    a) are not stupid and
    b) have wireless these days.

Cotton growers in many parts of the world are squeezed to the brink of existence these days, while traders get rich beyond any merit. You think those people who lose the fruit of their labor to bankers and traders are not even angrier than we are (or more desperate)?

People will do the smart thing, get together with some Western entrepreneurs and bypass the official markets.
    Just let the prices go up a little more. It will happen, it always does. Where there is opportunity (speak: money), there will be entrepreneurs. Those price spirals always get stopped, especially when working folks get poorer from paycheck to paycheck and the customers have no choice but to stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis
    I wonder if the supply is low because so many are farming corn for ethanol!
    Yes, the secret behind it are our Government's subventions.

It takes 0.7 gallons of gasoline to run the tractors and machines to produce 1 gallon of ethanol.

1 gallon of ethanol has only 70 % of the energy that's in a gallon of gasoline. (So if you would use the corn energy for the production of corn ethanol you would have left almost nothing over. The system would use for the production almost everything it produces. I am NOT kidding and I am not the only one who can hardly believe this insanity.)

The production costs for corn ethanol are so high that our Government pays more than $2.00 fore each gallon of corn ethanol (aside from the other subventions).

And this insanity, which makes healthy food and other essentials too expensive for poor people, robs the soil of too many nutrients and with its mono-cultures does a hell of a lot of damage to the environment and the weather -
    all this mind-bogling incomprehensible stupidity -
    is run by our representatives.

It is in fact our fault.

We elected those watchamacall'em!

What? AGAIN???? Not coffee! & cotton???? Oh nooooooo! :-o

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    On my way to this board this evening, I scanned the headlines at MSN.com and saw an article about cotton prices on the rise due to low supplies and high demand. Not good news for any of us.

Well, many of us have said that we could live to be 115 before we ever used up our stash. :?
    This is what happens when our government pays people not to grow things! Artificial inflation, and people who do not pay taxes on production- No garden, No taxes. People think welfare is expensive, but it does not cost near as much to our economy as these stupid programs do. Too bad the bozos who started this #%%$#@^&*()*^$# program are not here to enjoy what they have done to our economy.

well in that case i need to head on down to the fabric store and stock up !!!!! sounds like a good reason to me

Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    On my way to this board this evening, I scanned the headlines at MSN.com and saw an article about cotton prices on the rise due to low supplies and high demand. Not good news for any of us.

Well, many of us have said that we could live to be 115 before we ever used up our stash. :?
    I read that too. One reason for the price hike in cotton is due to the floods in China where a good percentage of our cotton comes from. Hopefully, the crops will be plentiful next year.

Blog Entries
    haven't seen it go up here in St Augustine yet, 2 weeks ago on the local news,they said coffee was going up, and I stocked up, now its even $1.00 cheaper than they said it was going to be. the only one that went up was Starbucks . Oh,well,I'm already stocked for the holidays.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That is a very sad thing for me to hear, as I can't afford any fabric now. God bless.

Chocolate too? Oh no!!!!

I believe that if that should happen, chocolate will be "rationed" every month for those with that addiction--and I am one.

So, I expect to see an announcement once a month telling us despicable, weak minded addicts, that the chocolate ration next month will go down.

Dee
    This is bad news.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    We may have to revert back to what our ancestors did and Recycle clothing....
    Old blankets can be used as batting....
    etc....
    I really like using blankets for batting. My family like the heavier feel and seem be be very warm. I have just finished a turning twenty[actually turning ten] top that I will use a blanket in it for my S-I-l for Christmas to use in his truck.[He's a Semi trucker] My daughter says he will love it. Hope so.

Blog Entries
    Neither is mine, what are we to do with everything going up except our SS checks? I've cut everything I can possible cut, and there's nothing left at the end of the month, or I should say the middle of the month. I can't even make it till the end any more.

Quote Originally Posted by irenecarter
    Neither is mine, what are we to do with everything going up except our SS checks? I've cut everything I can possible cut, and there's nothing left at the end of the month, or I should say the middle of the month. I can't even make it till the end any more.
    This is because SS checks are adapted according to the inflation rates determined by the Government :roll:

These Government inflation rates exclude everything 'seasonal', such as energy and food (things that ordinary people don't have to take into account :D )

This explains why the official inflation rates are so amazingly low.

'nough said.....

I don't know where this will end. At JoAnn's here I have seen $12.97 a yd fabric already. At the LQS there has been $13.00 a yd fabric for awhile. Not all of it is that expensive but some is & even higher. I had to bite the bullet & pay $13 a yd for a couple of yds of Kona Bay fabric I had been looking for. Did not make me happy but the quilt is commissioned & I did not count on enough fabric. That'll learn me dern me!LOL It stinks for the prices torise so high. I have been stockpiling for sometime and going to keep it up for another month or so if I can. I will not pay double prices. Not if I can help it. I'll be shopping for cotton clothes @ Thrift Stores to cut up first. And garage sales. Can't keep a good woman on a quilting mission, down! Dern them. LOL

I was at my LQS over the weekend...they had just got in some new batiks...BEAUTIFUL...I just 'had' to have at least a couple. I bought only 1/2 yards since I didn't really have a plan..just NEEDED them...they were priced at 10.90/yard!!! Yikes!!!

I work in a hospital. I have for years preached that the sterile towels could be recycled instead of trashed. My favorite reasoning is "What will a cotton sweatshirt cost in 20 years if you don't recycle all the cotton?" So now my prediction has come true. Who'd a thought I was right?

Blog Entries
    Just came from my LQS, the new fabric she is putting out today was $12.75 per yd. She showed me what it cost her and I almost fainted. She isn't making enough money to keep the shop going much longer. I noticed she has sales starting on the 20th of the month and she said that is how she pays her rent and utilities on the first. She figures this may be her last year in business after 17 years. So sad! She says customers give her a hard time about not having all fabrics in a group and she says she can only buy what will sell. She says batting will take a big jump year end.

Banned
    tinned tomatoes too ,they say shortage this year ,but the trouble is when things return to normal the prices don't.
    why is cotton in short supply---bad harvest?

The local quilt shops will go out of buisness!!!

If all fabric is printed and processed in China then we need to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by nantucketsue
    Quote Originally Posted by bmkaz
    As a quilter and a wife to a cotton farmer, all the costs incidental to growing cotton have increased dramatically over the past few years, while the price per pound we have received for our cotton is still very low. I hate paying $9.50 per yard for cotton fabric or $34.95 for a Moda layer cake that says "made in Korea".
    Perhaps we should all bombard the fabric makers and insist on labelling where the cotton is made. This can easily be done along the selvedge.
    this

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast