Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The 'crinkly' look >

The 'crinkly' look

The 'crinkly' look

Old 05-30-2013, 03:32 AM

The "crinkly" look comes from not pre-washing your cotton fabrics and using 100% or 80/20% cotton batting, preferably the 100%. I would also say that washing it on hot/warm and drying in a dryer would achieve the look you like. I also like the "crinkly" look.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:09 AM

I too, love the vintage crinkly look! I DO NOT prewash anything on my quilts and use Colour Catchers when I wash them after completion. Stay with all cottons and to go to the laundry mat to wash and dry your quilts. Quilts become very heavy in the washer and unless you have a heavy duty washer at home I wouldn't wash them at home -especially as yu may want to make larger quilts as you become more experienced. Wash on warm or cold and a warm dryer.
Good luck with all your future projects!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 AM

Definitely putting in the dyer will make a difference in the crinkle. Very nice quilt!!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheUncommonThread View Post
Thank you all very much for your words of wisdom! I really appreciate every single piece of advice. Now, I'm wondering about this new quilt top I'm working on. The one out of Kona. Should I wash the finished top before I quilt it? Or will it be a nightmare of frays? I've done all the cutting, so it's too late to wash it before cutting and I'm part way through the piecing.

Oh, and I love the idea I might have started a new trend and gotten everyone in the US to say tumbler!

I wouldn't wash it until it's quilted (you will end up with a mess of frayed fabric)....and since the fabrics are already mixed/pieced, you can't fix any bleeders.....you could take a small piece of each fabric and test to see if it will bleed.....hot water in the sink for a few minutes, agitate gently, and you will be able to see any bleeding....if you see bleeding, then be sure to add lots of color catchers or use synthropol when you wash the finished quilt.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 AM

Your quilt is very pretty!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Well, that's one advantage of being a dyer: I've always got lots of synthrapol to hand! I'll be sure to pop some in the machine once this second quilt is finished.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

I agree. Do not wash a quilt top; wait until the quilt is fully quilted and bound. When using synthrapol, just be aware that it needs a lot of hot water. Domestic front-loading washing machines do not use enough water to dilute dye sufficiently if there is a big dye bleed in a quilt.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California! You have gotten lots of good advice.
If you have already cut it, do not wash until it is all put together.
I love the "crinkled" look as well. I do not pre-wash any of my fabrics and use Warm and Natural batting. I have found that the more quilting on the quilt, such as a free-motion all over as opposed to just diagonal lines, it crinkles up more. I toss them in my front loader washer with some detergent and a couple color catchers and an extra rinse cycle, then into the dryer on a "casual" setting.
I have made over 300 quilts and have never pre-washed and have never had a fabric bleed into another. I buy better quality fabrics and always use a color catcher, which sometimes comes out colored, but have never had an issue of the color bleeding into another. But I have not used a deep dark red or purple next to a white either.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Uncommon Thread: Welcome to the board from Oregon. I am attaching a picture of a recently completed quilt. The batting is a 100% cotton, the fabrics were prewashed and the backing is cotton too. I think the closer quilting creates more crinkle. Oh, and I just air dried it.
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 AM

Very pretty quilt. You did a great job.